Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FREEBIRD!!  (Read 4588 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« on: February 21, 2005, 06:03:31 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Molly"
There's also an emergency switch for if a brawl is brewing, which immediately switches the jukebox to "Free Bird." Apparently the opening refrain helps grease monkeys and rednecks recognize each other's inherent humanity, or something like that.

BRILLIANT!

I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>


I'm sorry, but I have difficulty believing that.  That's kind of like saying you've never seen a McDonalds.  Freebird and Stairway to Heaven are the ubiquitous classic rock songs.  I mean, DUDE!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 06:08:05 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Molly"
There's also an emergency switch for if a brawl is brewing, which immediately switches the jukebox to "Free Bird." Apparently the opening refrain helps grease monkeys and rednecks recognize each other's inherent humanity, or something like that.

BRILLIANT!

I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>

I'm sorry, but I have difficulty believing that.  That's kind of like saying you've never seen a McDonalds.  Freebird and Stairway to Heaven are the ubiquitous classic rock songs.  I mean, DUDE!

I may have heard segments but never when it was identified. I'd say 80% of my exposure to classic rock has been snippets in TV commercials so I couldn't tell you what the song or band was.

I've also only heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the Simpsons when Bart sneaks it into the hymns.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 07:58:44 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've never actually heard Freebird. Not even part of it. </sad admission>


Count yourself lucky.  Though I also find it a bit hard to believe.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 08:21:51 pm »

I have never heard Freebird either. But one time I was walking down the street and some guy his porch with a guitar asked for a request and I said "FREEBIRD!" just because it's such a cliche.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

V-Adore

  • Guest
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 09:37:15 pm »

The saddest thing: Lynyrd Skynyrd (or what's left of it, anyway) playing the Grammies, pausing for a final request, and nobody in the house yelling "FREEBIRD." Clearly kids these days just aren't getting raised right.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 09:39:14 pm »

Freebird is supposed to have the greatest guitar solo of all time. It goes on for a ridiculously long time and the first verse is totally unnecessary.
It actually sounds to me like it's a duet. Which makes it way less awesome. Two guys doin that is lame.
It's not a terrible song but it's way, way over-hyped. I feel the same way about stairway.
Nobody else will ever admit it but my Sharona has a mega-awesome guitar solo in it. But the rest of the song is so annoying you'll probably kill yourself before you get to it.

There's my contribution.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 09:45:07 pm »

There. Pruned from the blog thread and freed to run and play in its natural habitat. Be free, Freebird thread! Be free!
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 10:24:44 pm »

I hadn't heard Freebird, and realised that's what I was hearing, until playing San Andreas. I guess living in the UK may have had something to do with that though.

I have a soft spot for it though. And I wouldn't call it the greatest solo of all time. Certainly one of the most unlearnable.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 12:06:03 am »

Quote from: "Skillator"
It actually sounds to me like it's a duet. Which makes it way less awesome. Two guys doin that is lame.


Actually it's a trio of guitars.  How that makes it less awesome or lame I can't figure.

Freebird!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 05:07:38 am »

It's Free fuck*ng BIRD.  The solo isn't the most technically adept but it is filled with ROCK AND ROLL PASSION.

I even listen to the slow chorus parts too.  It's a classic.

Philistines.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 03:47:39 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
Nobody else will ever admit it but my Sharona has a mega-awesome guitar solo in it. But the rest of the song is so annoying you'll probably kill yourself before you get to it.


I'd admit it. And the rest of the song is mega-awesome too.

"Free Bird" is not the greatest guitar solo of all time.  Eddie Hazel's solo on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" is.   Hendrix's solo on "Machine Gun" is a close second, though.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 04:13:29 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
"Free Bird" is not the greatest guitar solo of all time.  Eddie Hazel's solo on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" is.   Hendrix's solo on "Machine Gun" is a close second, though.


The greatest guitar solo of all time is on Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 04:48:36 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

The greatest guitar solo of all time is on Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da.


Ow!

Greatest solo... I'd be tempted to pick the one from 'I Wanna Make it Wit'chu' off of the last Desert Sessions. Such a playful little solo. So good live too.

That or at the moment something off of Frances the Mute, but there's so much random guitar there I wouldn't know where to begin.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Null

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 204
    • View Profile
    • http://beckoningchasm.com
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 05:49:59 pm »

For greatest guitar solo, I'd pick Robert Fripp on Eno's "Baby's on Fire."  Even though he was probably making that "hardest chord possible" expression the whole time, it's still quite sharp.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 08:51:55 pm »

Quote from: "Null"
For greatest guitar solo, I'd pick Robert Fripp on Eno's "Baby's on Fire."


Hard to fault that one either.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up