Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FREEBIRD!!  (Read 4596 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 11:37:00 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "Skillator"
Nobody else will ever admit it but my Sharona has a mega-awesome guitar solo in it. But the rest of the song is so annoying you'll probably kill yourself before you get to it.


I'd admit it. And the rest of the song is mega-awesome too.

"Free Bird" is not the greatest guitar solo of all time.  Eddie Hazel's solo on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" is.   Hendrix's solo on "Machine Gun" is a close second, though.


Eddie Hazel is God.  God is dead.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 01:16:36 am »

Anyone care to play favorite guitarists?

Eddie Hazel
Jimi Hendrix
Doug Martsch
Duane Denison

In no particular order.  The holy trinity plus one.  Thing about Hazel is I don't have too much of his work (well, none of his solo stuff) but what I do have is amazing (Maggot Brain alone gets him a spot).

And then the rest:

Pixies
Fugazi
Johnny Marr
Jimmy Page
Mike Bloomfield (mainly for his work on Highway 61 Revisited)

You know, I suck at lists.

But anyway, what exactly makes a great guitarist?  It's not just technique, of course.  I mean, that Swedish dude wouldn't even make honorable mention for me, even though he has good technique.  But it's not just songwriting, either, I guess.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 01:45:09 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Anyone care to play favorite guitarists?


Yes.  
Off the top of my head, and in no particular order
Ry Cooder
Glenn Branca
Tom Verlaine
Blind Willie McTell
Skip James
Nick Drake

I'm probably forgetting lots and lots of people.  But those dudes are definitely Important.


Quote from: "miles"
But anyway, what exactly makes a great guitarist?  It's not just technique, of course.  I mean, that Swedish dude wouldn't even make honorable mention for me, even though he has good technique.  But it's not just songwriting, either, I guess.


Man, Yngwie is disqualified from any such list for the sheer idiocy of including vocals in his songs.  That is the thing that always mystified me about Dream Theater, why they would bother with the wordy stuff.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 01:45:09 am »

Quote from: "miles"


But anyway, what exactly makes a great guitarist?


Certainly I have a list of different favourites.
Zappa for me when it comes to technique. Hendrix for pure guitar wanking alien excellence. Josh Hommes for his deserty vibes. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez for pure off the wall insanity, that somehow works so perfectly.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 05:26:32 am »

I think we're getting off-track: has CJ played San Andreas yet or what?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 06:46:27 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Tom Verlaine


Good call.

And sorry, St_Zartan, sir.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 02:33:55 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I think we're getting off-track: has CJ played San Andreas yet or what?

Nope. I think I saw a guy play GTA 1 in college once, but that's about it.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 06:30:18 pm »

Nobody automatically lists Eric Clapton?

But this thread has made me realize that I need to go out and buy a whole lot of cd's so I know who you're talking about.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 09:10:39 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
Nobody automatically lists Eric Clapton?


I've had the Clapton discussion with a guy I know who really likes him. I don't. Maybe back in the Cream days, but I just don't like the sound he went for thereafter.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 09:21:33 pm »

that's always the dilemma with these discussions.  in terms of technical ability, clapton is a fuck*ng wizard.  but, even though what he's playing is hard, is it that good?

personally, i think joe santiago from the pixies could do more with one note than clapton could do with a hundred.  but that's just me.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 09:30:17 pm »

Clapton makes me tired. And every time he trots out another CD celebrating how he's a vulture picking on Robert Johnson's corpse, I hope even more fervently that the Devil decided "Fuck it, I'm taking that hack's soul instead."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2005, 06:52:30 am »

I saw Frank Black and the Catholics after their first album came out.  The guitarist, Lyle Workman, was an absolutely astounding player, the kind of player I hope to someday be.  And yet, after I left, I found myself thinking that Joey Santiago was a better guitarist for Frank Black, even though his playing style consists almost exclusively of mistakes.

Anyway, rather than bore you with my Top Fifty Guitarists List, I'll just leave you with five relatively obscure players I think deserve your attention:

Steve Tibbetts
Bill Connors
Shawn Lane
Bill Nelson
James Honeyman-Scott

and if you wind up getting an album with Charlie Christian on it, your overall quality of life will improve.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2005, 07:10:38 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Clapton makes me tired. And every time he trots out another CD celebrating how he's a vulture picking on Robert Johnson's corpse, I hope even more fervently that the Devil decided "Fuck it, I'm taking that hack's soul instead."


Yeah, but, what would the devil do with it?

But, I do like Cream, and didn't he play the lead on While My Guitar Gently Weeps?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
FREEBIRD!!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2005, 05:34:00 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Clapton makes me tired. And every time he trots out another CD celebrating how he's a vulture picking on Robert Johnson's corpse, I hope even more fervently that the Devil decided "Fuck it, I'm taking that hack's soul instead."


Yeah, but, what would the devil do with it?


Ask this guy.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up