Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005  (Read 5707 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« on: February 22, 2005, 09:31:23 pm »

Eh, a one-off strip. I wonder who set up Ray's webcam, or if he paid the crew of G4TechTV a half mil to come out and do it for him.

If anyone else thinks there's a better line for the subject title, feel free. I just liked the way this one sounded.

edited to add date to subject
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 09:43:43 pm »

But now we'll never now what Teodor wanted!

Or who put the hair in Ray's nachos!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 09:47:57 pm »

I find the actual punchline of this strip -- that people on the Internet have Depression -- much less funny than the setup and semi-punchline, which is all these guys dressing up in huge, elaborately weird clothes to go play strip poker on the Internet. I mean, Ray's putting on the Ritz enough as is, but a jester hat? A Victorian diving apparatus? Words fail.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 09:51:31 pm »

The panels look too large.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 09:59:56 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I find the actual punchline of this strip -- that people on the Internet have Depression -- much less funny than the setup and semi-punchline, which is all these guys dressing up in huge, elaborately weird clothes to go play strip poker on the Internet. I mean, Ray's putting on the Ritz enough as is, but a jester hat? A Victorian diving apparatus? Words fail.


I, too, prefer the pre-punchline humor.  But then, that happens often with Achewood, and it ain't a bad thing.  It's like premature ejaculation, climax in the middle perhaps, but we can all laugh at that, right Bozack?

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 10:02:08 pm »

I like the picture of the web cam.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 10:28:21 pm »

Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today!

Beyond that, I'm pretty cool with todays strip. The funniest part for me was definitely everyone getting dressed up to play strip poker over the internet.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nice Dave

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
heh
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 10:29:44 pm »

This (well, this especially, but the last few as well) have been classic Achewood for me. It's funny, and then when you get to the punchline (the funny part) there's something else there. Funny, but also scary or depressing, possibly one quality because of the other.  Classic "glass eye in the gumball machine" sorta stuff. I guess that's what keeps me coming back.

Honestly, though, if you don't find the punchline funny (or disturbingly familiar), you haven't spent enough time meeting people in the context of trying to play an online game. Sometimes you get a nice round of checkers, but more often you get a larger than recommended dose of the personal life of somebody who only socializes via internet checkers (while wearing a brass diving helmet).

It's a little better with more complicated games... The people there have invested a lot in the ability to beat up imaginary monsters for their lunch money or what have you, and are more likely to actually go about doing that, but often you still learn something about someone that you'd rather you hadn't. It is sometimes like overhearing the locker room conversations of people who are afraid to leave their houses, with orcs and a Howard Shore soundtrack.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 10:31:07 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today!

Beyond that, I'm pretty cool with todays strip. The funniest part for me was definitely everyone getting dressed up to play strip poker over the internet.


haaha.

okay sorry, at least once i though i should justify the introduction. But, it ain't no good if i have to invent the insults.  and you didn't even make a return jab!  no FUN!

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: heh
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 10:40:49 pm »

Quote from: "Nice Dave"
This (well, this especially, but the last few as well) have been classic Achewood for me. It's funny, and then when you get to the punchline (the funny part) there's something else there. Funny, but also scary or depressing, possibly one quality because of the other.  Classic "glass eye in the gumball machine" sorta stuff. I guess that's what keeps me coming back.


Yeah, even "Ray high as Jesus" strips have:

"What is it like to see someone die? I wonder if my mom knows..."

And that's what I like.

sasquatch feeder

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:32:06 am »

More classic Achewood: Teodor's eyebrows in the fourth panel. I think Onstad could sleepwalk (sleepdraw?) through a strip and I'd still laugh, but the subtle expressions really get me.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 01:12:44 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today!


Repeat after me, Bozack.

"This is why we kill them when we're done with them."

Remember: Nothing says loving like hookers getting bludgeoned.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 01:49:07 am »

I liked it. It's almost the priest hotline from Father Ted, only with a tighter grasp. The only people who end up going there are the really sad ones, and they all end up getting on instead of being disgusted and leaving.
Did it for me anyway...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 06:11:52 am »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Aw, man, my ex-girlfriend just told the entire internet that I got premature ejaculation! I HATE days like today!


Repeat after me, Bozack.

"This is why we kill them when we're done with them."

Remember: Nothing says loving like hookers getting bludgeoned.


Are you doin' ok, man?  Your mom doesn't have MS or anything, does she?  You've been getting less funny and more creepy lately.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Victorian Diving Apparatus - 2/22/2005
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 06:17:23 am »

Quote from: "yahnai"
Are you doin' ok, man?  Your mom doesn't have MS or anything, does she?  You've been getting less funny and more creepy lately.


I am doing the Read-A-Thon for his mom. She is like ten Encyclopedia Browns away from being OK.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up