Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06  (Read 11764 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2005, 05:47:38 am »

Okay, Manapua I've had, and what you're describing sounds like the dim sum that's served in most chinese restaurants around here - they're like dumplings but with a thinner and lighter shell.

But that photo basically has little rolls *floating* in some liquid, presumably water.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2005, 02:03:48 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
But that photo basically has little rolls *floating* in some liquid, presumably water.

Plus were they created with kung fu? If not then what's the point? We all know the secret to great buns is making the little yin yang in the flour.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2005, 08:24:15 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus were they created with kung fu? If not then what's the point? We all know the secret to great buns is making the little yin yang in the flour.


.....Did you see Shaolin Soccer too?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2005, 08:36:47 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Plus were they created with kung fu? If not then what's the point? We all know the secret to great buns is making the little yin yang in the flour.

.....Did you see Shaolin Soccer too?

If nobody on this whole board got that reference I was going to be very disappointed.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2005, 10:52:09 pm »

Oh, I didn't reply to it because I thought it was *obvious*.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2005, 12:22:51 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Okay, Manapua I've had, and what you're describing sounds like the dim sum that's served in most chinese restaurants around here - they're like dumplings but with a thinner and lighter shell.

But that photo basically has little rolls *floating* in some liquid, presumably water.


Actually, looking at the base and lid on that photo I think those rolls are in a steamer basket that is stackable. I don't see that they are floating.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2005, 12:40:05 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Actually, looking at the base and lid on that photo I think those rolls are in a steamer basket that is stackable. I don't see that they are floating.


Yea, or they'd be boiled or simmered, not steamed.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2005, 01:04:01 am »

When I was a very young child my family knew a Chinese man at the church we attended.  On a couple of occasions he served us a dish he called "Chinese Hamburgers."  We moved cities when I was 7 and never saw this man again.  I never knew what it was he was serving, although I thought about it many times.  Many many years later I discovered dumplings and I thought I had found my "Chinses Hamburgers."  Still I wasn't completely convinced.  Thanks to Bobby, I have for certian found my "Chinese Hamburgers."  So for me, this is more than just a crazy food expidition, it's a chance to rediscover a lost piece of my childhood.  Greenland ho!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2005, 03:40:09 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
When I was a very young child my family knew a Chinese man at the church we attended.  On a couple of occasions he served us a dish he called "Chinese Hamburgers."  We moved cities when I was 7 and never saw this man again.  I never knew what it was he was serving, although I thought about it many times.  Many many years later I discovered dumplings and I thought I had found my "Chinses Hamburgers."  Still I wasn't completely convinced.  Thanks to Bobby, I have for certian found my "Chinese Hamburgers."  So for me, this is more than just a crazy food expidition, it's a chance to rediscover a lost piece of my childhood.  Greenland ho!!!

~Paul


I want to underscore my ABSOLUTE SERIOUSNESS about this trip -- I am researching via Golfhaus whether I can get a discount on ticketry, but for now am planning on the Canada venue and will require the money in hand by end of 2005.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2005, 02:24:04 pm »

My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2005, 02:34:04 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."


I'm sorry, but your Mother was wrong.  Moo Shu is Chinese Fajitas.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2005, 04:50:52 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."

I'm sorry, but your Mother was wrong.  Moo Shu is Chinese Fajitas.

And potstickers are Chinese Pierogi.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2005, 11:12:05 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My aunt once made something kind of like moo shu pork, all in the wrappers that are remarkably like flour tortillas, and called them "Chinese hamburgers."

I'm sorry, but your Mother was wrong.  Moo Shu is Chinese Fajitas.

And potstickers are Chinese Pierogi.


And Calgon is the Ancient Chinsese Secret.

Used by hotshot chinese laundrymen the world over.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2006, 08:23:53 pm »

Not to be a dick by posting to comatose topics, but was this thing ever going to happen?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Of Herbs and Stewed Walrus - Greenland June '06
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2006, 08:30:33 pm »

I already have my ticket and travel itinerary planned, dude.  Where have you been?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up