Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked  (Read 6120 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:44:24 pm »

infinity wars was about when i stopped being "into" comics, so i don't know the evil twin phasing *****.

didn't scarlet witch die?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 08:56:23 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
infinity wars was about when i stopped being "into" comics, so i don't know the evil twin phasing #####.

didn't scarlet witch die?

Actually me too. That's about when they hit the Crisis on Infinite Crossovers. I can understand needing to buy all four Spider-Man comics for a crossover storyline occasionally, but not twice in a year for 2+ months at a time. That shit's just wrong.

But the even Spider-Man was marginally cool. It actually had 8 limbs.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 09:19:56 pm »

yes, but, did scarlet witch die?

it seems like not many marvel characters ever died.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Skillator

  • Guest
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 09:26:11 pm »

I didn't read the "Avengers Disassembled" so I apologize in advance for not having all the facts, but Scarlet witch's powers went out of control and destroyed the mansion and killed some people and she may or may not have died herself. This was all an attempt to make the Avengers about Marvel's most popular super heroes and not some shmoes who just got together to have a badguy beat-down party now and then.

So currently Avengers is: Captain america, Some guy named Sentry from some storyline in the late 90s, Spiderman, Spider-woman, Iron Man, Luke Cage and they are working on Daredevil joining. The other guys who you remember as Avengers aren't really around anymore, no Thor, or Vision or Scarlet Witch or Hawkeye. You'll have to read ultimates for them.

The "New Avengers" as they are called is one of Marvel's only worthwhile comics right now. They are too busy paying lawyers to sue everyone and his dog, rather than pay actually decent writers.

One of the other decent comics right now stars are very own favorite: Kitty Pride. Astonishing X-men is the only decent X related title currently as long as you don't mind Colossus coming back from the dead. It features, Cyclops, Kitty, Beast, Colossus, White Queen and Wolverine (he apparently has to be in every goddamned marvel title). It's pretty decent.

But if you are looking for consistantly good comics, look no further than DC. Outsiders, Teen Titans, Batman, Nightwing, all worth every penny. I don't read everything, so I'm sure there are good comics I'm missing but many titles have seen brighter days.

If you're looking for good comics guaranteed, Trade Paperback are the way to go. All the best stories preserved forever and packed together:
Secret Wars, Infinity Guantlet, Watchmen, Dark Victory, Maus, Maximum Carnage, Frank Miller Daredevil, Guardian Devil, Bastard Samurai, Cosmic Odyssey... All good bets.

Sorry to have gone on so long. I sort of work at a comic shop.
And I'm sort of in love with the medium.

More:
A lot of Marvel characters die. They just don't stay dead... Cyclops, Jean Grey (3 times), Colossus, Psylocke, Magneto, Aunt May, Green Goblin (3 times), Dr Druid (still dead), Captain Marvel, Wonderman, Elektra... I'm certain there are more.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 09:32:07 pm »

Hahaha, wow. I'm a huge comics dork, but I'm all about Marvel stuff. I dunno, almost all of the Marvel Knights I've been seeing lately has just been fantastic, and I've never really gotten into DC, other than the New Frontier stuff. But Marvel's Wolverine fetish really has gotten too much. He's in EVERY fuck*ng BOOK now.
But we definitely agree on the New Avengers title rocking cocks. Also, there's a new Iron Man run with Warren Ellis that's very....Warren Ellis-y, although it's toned down a lot. If you're not a Warren Ellis fan, you should probably not invest the time.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Skillator

  • Guest
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:37:20 pm »

Scarlet witch = not dead. Doctor Strange shut down her mind and left her as a vegetable in the hands of her dady, Magneto.

Hawkeye is dead because of her, so is ant-man, Vision's now dead, Jack of hearts and some more.
Pick up the TPB for more info.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 09:52:14 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
So currently Avengers is: Captain america, Some guy named Sentry from some storyline in the late 90s, Spiderman, Spider-woman, Iron Man, Luke Cage and they are working on Daredevil joining. The other guys who you remember as Avengers aren't really around anymore, no Thor, or Vision or Scarlet Witch or Hawkeye. You'll have to read ultimates for them.

More:
A lot of Marvel characters die. They just don't stay dead... Cyclops, Jean Grey (3 times), Colossus, Psylocke, Magneto, Aunt May, Green Goblin (3 times), Dr Druid (still dead), Captain Marvel, Wonderman, Elektra... I'm certain there are more.

Huh, so they finally added Spider-Man as a full member. Last I saw they had guys like him and Moon Knight in the reserves. So they got little communicator IDs and fought in Secret Wars/Inifinity */&c but that's about it.

Of course the Avengers West were the super losers.

Tony Stark died for a time, allowing War Machine to take over his book but he came back. Aunt May died, revealing she knew about Peter all along, and I'm pretty sure Vulture died.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 09:53:07 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
it seems like not many marvel characters ever died.


They die all the dang time. They just also come back all the dang time. This is known as Marvel's "revolving door" policy.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 09:53:54 pm »

Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "arkabee"
it seems like not many marvel characters ever died.

They die all the dang time. They just also come back all the dang time. This is known as Marvel's "revolving door" policy.

See also: Hulk Hogan "retiring"
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 10:10:36 pm »

When Joe Quesada took over he passed a rule saying that once a character is dead, he or she stays dead. Because everybody was dang sick of people coming back from the dead.
At this time, Magneto was dead, colossus was dead and Psylocke dead with the plan for an enormous, excellent rebirth. This rule fucked all that up and pissed a few writers off.
Joe recently took his rule back and once again the dead walk the halls of marvel. It's all quite silly. Writers need to come up with something more original than killing and resurrecting characters... Superman dead, Batman with a broken back, these were bad ideas! If they can't pull them off then why would Aunt may or Captain Britain be any better at it?

I thought Iron Man was having heart problems (and alcohol problems) not living problems when war machine took over. I've never been an Iron man guy so I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 10:18:27 pm »

Actually, the Batman "Death in the Family" storyline was one of the best they'd done.  It was a huge comic book event at the time.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 11:05:55 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
I thought Iron Man was having heart problems (and alcohol problems) not living problems when war machine took over. I've never been an Iron man guy so I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.

When War Machine was created this was true. But for a while Stark "died" (transferring his mind into a computer or somesuch) and during that period War Machine became the main character in the Iron Man comic. When Tony came back they shared the book for a while before WM got his own comic and became part of the Avengers West. I think they transferred the guy to Stark Enterprises L.A. office or something.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 11:14:35 pm »

Quote
Actually, the Batman "Death in the Family" storyline was one of the best they'd done. It was a huge comic book event at the time.


Good point.
DC does the resurrection in such a way that it doesn't piss people off as much. Everyone has a young prodigy who grows up to take over.
When Superman finally does go, Superboy will be able to take on the reigns.
Robin's death was pretty amazing. I mean the fans voted for that...
The killing Joke: Also very good.
The last huge Batman storyline actually blew my mind. War Games was amazing. Very worth all the pennies it may cost.
DC has a lot going for it, except that Marvel fans seem to be snobs toward it. I was one too once. I can't explain it. I think it's just that Superman is too unbeatable. What fun is there in that?
I'd take superman over one more bloody wolverine cover any day.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 11:23:56 pm »

Me, I'm all about the Tick.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 11:24:09 pm »

With all the advertisements, dead returning to life, and multiple books per hero, I've given up on comic books.    I can't say that I don't care about what goes on in them.  (Certainly not, that would prevent me from being some kind of dork.)  But I can at least say that those punks won't get my money.  (Which makes me more of a pathetic dork than before.)  Now I just read them in graphic novel form and only when I've been told that a specific series is really good.

For instance, I got into John Constantine in "Books of Magic" which was an awesome one-book story (though I've heard there are sequels now).  A friend of mine then gave me a couple of Constantine's Hellblazer books.  They're pretty neat horror books.  Not the very best, but good.

The same friend went to see the movie "Constantine" knowing that it would be bad.  

It was bad.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up