Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked  (Read 6128 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 02:10:17 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Me, I'm all about the Tick.


The Tick was great.
I dig comics, although it stemmed from reading manga, since I was never into comic books 'til after manga. I far prefer to get TPB's, but I decided to go with comics for the Astonishing X-Men run. I will probably end up getting TPB when it happens as well though.
Apart from that, I don't really do comics so much. Too much effort or me, and I tend to dislike having that little to read of each story each month,
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 02:19:14 am »

I'm all about the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros.

And Grim Jack.  Him too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 02:42:36 am »

I'm all about Hate.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 03:16:05 am »

At some point or another I've been into every comic, but they all get silly after awhile.  Stan Lee is/was the Best ever though, IMHO.

Now i'm only into Groo and Eightball.

The first 10 issues of Hate are the funniest comics ever written.  

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 03:27:29 am »

I've never been into comic books. Never ever. Not a one. Which seems odd, as I had friends that were into them, and I went through the whole baseball card collecting thing too when I was like 8. I'm not exactly sure why I never got into them.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 03:37:04 am »

I'm of the opinion that as far as awesome writers go the best way for a person to fall in love with comics is:

First: Falling in Love with Frank Miller's Work (Daredevil, Sin City, Batman)
Second: Jeph Loeb's (Batman: Hush, Batman: Dark Victory, Spiderman: Blue, Batman: Long Halloween, Superman Batman)
Finally: Alan Moore's (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Top 10, Killing Joke)

There are really so many other wonderful writers but I think this is the perfect progression and I plan to raise my children on it.
Bendis does some great work, Jim Starlin made gold, i mean there are so many legends and good ol' Stan is their Grandfather but kids coming up are going to have a hell of a time wading through those early stories... Comics now take maybe 10 minutes, whereas 20 years ago or more it could take you a solid 40 minutes to an hour and a lot of the stories are tired and cliche now.

I have GOT to shut up about comics.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 03:40:49 am »

I read Groo when I was a kid, but for some reason I stopped. (Hell if I can remember why.) It still saddens me that it isn't in wider circulation; being a dork, I make references to it in dork company and often just manage to confuse people. It sort of saddens me.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 04:02:49 am »

I feel THAT pain. My friends are so Internet clueless, that they don't even get my Homestar Runner references. Which makes me do a double-take the same way it would if I mentioned lasagna and Mondays and someone didn't know what I was talking about.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 04:47:51 am »

when i wanted to look at pictures i watched cartoons.  when i wanted to read, i read books.  hence, no comics for me.

though just recently i read art spiegelman's 'maus' and 'maus II' - bad ass.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2005, 05:46:05 am »

Man, I bought Maus 1 a couple of years ago and I still haven't gotten around to reading 2.  I didn't much dig his sept. 11 book, however.  

I don't dig superhero comics, but I'm pretty into that other kind.  I adore Dan Clowes in particular.  I just got a fairly endearing comic, Clumsy, by Jeffrey Brown.  Oh, and I snag any rad comic books that come into the paper I write for.  I got to review Dogs and Water, by Anders Nilsen, which was this rad comic about an existential tundra voyage of sorts.  Also this... deeply perplexing pseudocommunist comic called Mac Tin Tac, by a collective of Montreal artists (bad sign, I know.)  Basically, it was about this dystopian city ruled by a cake factory and... uh... it had a lot going on.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 06:31:18 am »

Jeffrey Brown is good, but by the third book he wrote about how he feels sexually inadequate in relationships, my interest waned. But check out his new thing, Bighead, which is a satire of superhero comics. Check out Seth, too: he's an amazing artist, storyteller, and he's also a Canuck! JUST LIKE YOU! Look up Clyde Fans, Vol. 1.
And don't write off superhero comics just because a lot of them suck. The best hardly deal with the "superhero" idea at all and go more into the actual people involved. I should totally also ship you all of my Transmetropolitan books (not superhero, but by a guy who does a lot of capes comics), except my ec-girlfriend has all of them. FUCK.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 01:30:51 pm »

I love me some superhero comics. Mostly DC is my thing but I savvy the Marvel as well.

Superboy is never going to take over as Superman; Robin is never going to take over as Batman. The characters and the duality with their secret identities are too heavily embedded in the mass consciousness for DC to decide to do that, as is Spider-Man. (Captain America and Wonder Woman, by contrast, could be replaced because even though everyone recognizes them as icons nobody gives a crap about their secret identities.) Robin became Nightwing and a new Robin appeared to replace him, and if they decide to have Superboy grow up he'll become Superior or Invincible or some other non-franchise-diluting identity.

Marvel once tried to replace Peter Parker as Spider-Man. The full sordid details can be found here, but for those of you who don't feel like wading through a 35-part essay about the Clone Saga to get to this bit, it was decided that turning off the casual readers by having someone other than Peter Parker as Spider-Man wasn't worth the potential narrative benefits. (This did not stop them from turning off casual readers by having a ridiculously convoluted years-long storyline that had to be tracked through four different titles to make any sense, but this has become depressingly standard in the industry.)

Death & Rebirth of Superman made a (half-hearted) attempt to replace Superman with four different characters including the aforementioned Superboy, but it did not exactly work out. Superboy and Steel remain active, although Steel got the S-icon stripped off to avoid franchise dilution.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 02:20:51 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"

More:
A lot of Marvel characters die. They just don't stay dead... Cyclops, Jean Grey (3 times), Colossus, Psylocke, Magneto, Aunt May, Green Goblin (3 times), Dr Druid (still dead), Captain Marvel, Wonderman, Elektra... I'm certain there are more.


haha, the funny thing is i was all thinking "wha about Dr Druid?  that guy sucked!" only, he's dead!

the rest of them, those deaths are like "oh ya they got amnesia".  no xmen related deaths count, i mean, i swear to god, Days of Our Lives stole the Marlena being possessed by Satan story line from Marvel.  I mean, Psylocke, was that before or after she went through the portal which changed her from a mild mannered prissy englishwoman into a fuck*ng asian hottie ninja with psychic claws? i mean, really, w.t.f.?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 02:48:26 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Jeffrey Brown is good, but by the third book he wrote about how he feels sexually inadequate in relationships, my interest waned.


I hear you on that one.  I didn't have much sympathy left for the fella by the end of Clumsy.  And when his girlfriend mentioned that he'd made her quit smoking pot, he was off my team.

Quote from: "Bozack"
But check out his new thing, Bighead, which is a satire of superhero comics. Check out Seth, too: he's an amazing artist, storyteller, and he's also a Canuck! JUST LIKE YOU! Look up Clyde Fans, Vol. 1.
And don't write off superhero comics just because a lot of them suck. The best hardly deal with the "superhero" idea at all and go more into the actual people involved. I should totally also ship you all of my Transmetropolitan books (not superhero, but by a guy who does a lot of capes comics), except my ec-girlfriend has all of them. FUCK.


Yeah, I've been meaning to check out Seth, having heard many good things.  I'll look into the Transmetro-etc. books next time I have some more space in my comic-book budget.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
kitty pryde continued - bobby iscoceles, YOU are locked
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 04:23:21 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"

I hear you on that one.  I didn't have much sympathy left for the fella by the end of Clumsy.  And when his girlfriend mentioned that he'd made her quit smoking pot, he was off my team.


The teammmm of potttt.
Yeah, he actually did something really cool, though: he put out a little booklet called "Be A Man," in which he took every comic from his relationship trilogy in which he looked like a huge dick and put them together. So basically he made himself out to be the biggest asshole alive, just via editing. Also, he made this shirt, which I want so badddd.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up