Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh your God  (Read 4877 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oh your God
« on: March 02, 2005, 06:15:28 pm »

http://www.blessitt.com/crossinspace/index.html

It's like Jehova's Witnesses walking past your house holding their leaflets up so as you can read them with binoculars or something.

I don't know. I just get angry when religious people get all zealous at me, and this seems like a subliminal method of doing so. Of course, even if it happens, I'll forget about it.

Plus, I think space should be non-denominational anyway.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Oh your God
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 06:24:57 pm »

I dunno, sort of seems like nothing new to me, since everyone in Montreal is already under the baleful gaze of the gigantic cross atop Mont-Royal.  It lights up every night.  One of my friends somehow came to believe that it is going to change colour or go out or something when the Pope dies, so we've been keeping an eye on it.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Oh your God
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 06:32:12 pm »

"Traditional Religions" is filtered at work so I can't even follow the link.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oh your God
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 07:22:09 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
"Traditional Religions" is filtered at work so I can't even follow the link.


Wow. They can do that?
I guess it makes some sort of sense.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Oh your God
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 08:16:55 pm »

are people really going to shoot a gigantor cross into space and attempt to put it in orbit around the planet they live on?

can someone help me start a website to start a pool to guess the date it plummets to the earth as a flaming cross and causes irrevocable environmental damage thus ushering on the Apocalypse?

cuz, i only want a 4.5% cut.

also, i choose Oct 31st 2009.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Oh your God
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:32:12 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
are people really going to shoot a gigantor cross into space and attempt to put it in orbit around the planet they live on?


I did some poking around on the site, and the cross being launched is 2 inches by 1 inch.  It's being launched by some company called Space Services, Inc. which seems to be set up mainly to launch cremains into space.  

I have to admit that I was kind of into the idea of a big ol' 15' tall cross flying around the earth.  Unfortunately, it's a whole lot less interesting than that.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Oh your God
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 08:34:51 pm »

Oh, and this is going up with it:



They're stickers.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oh your God
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 08:42:46 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Oh, and this is going up with it:



They're stickers.


Is this for aliens? Stickers?
Turn on to Jesus? I think I need to make a T Shirt with the design but saying Turn on Jesus.

I would have been more amused if it were indeed a 15 foot cross. But I guess NASA and so forth might dislike that. Although a 2 inch cross hitting your windshield at whatever speeds would be fairly scary!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Oh your God
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 09:11:48 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Turn on Jesus.


I've been touched by Jesus, in all the wrong places.
Sorry Jesus...you still my boo.

But anyway...I guess if I'm not going to be hit by a flaming cross I'd be okay with it. Maybe it'll land on some bizarre, alien planet and the inhabitants will start worshipping it, a la "Gods Must Be Crazy," but with no knowledge of context.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
Oh your God
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 12:39:18 am »

That's it - I'm moving to Mars!
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Oh your God
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 01:10:19 am »



Spreading the Gospel to Cybertron, one energon cube at a time.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Oh your God
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 02:13:13 pm »

a two inch cross?

a fifteen foot cross?

ok, physics majors, what size cross would have to be launched to be seen from non-geosynchronous orbit?

also, other majors, or colonels, what size cross would not completely burn up from reentry prior to landing?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Oh your God
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 02:22:44 pm »

From the site:
Quote
The cross will be over You personally! The Cross will be over every Nation on earth! Over Afghanistan! Saudi Arabia! Jerusalem! America!


All the exclaimation points remind me of both yelling and bad Engrish web-text.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Oh your God
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 02:25:39 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
It's like Jehova's Witnesses walking past your house holding their leaflets up so as you can read them with binoculars or something.


Hate to be nitpicky, well, no I don't, but Jehovah's Witnesses don't even use the cross in worship.  In fact, in their publications, at least recently, they depict Jesus on a big stick, not a cross, with his hands nailed above his head.  Also, they don't hold Jesus in the same light as mainstream Christians, I think.  It's just that I had a JW roomate for a semester, and he was always telling me about stuff.

Quote from: "arkabee"
a two inch cross?

a fifteen foot cross?

ok, physics majors, what size cross would have to be launched to be seen from non-geosynchronous orbit?

also, other majors, or colonels, what size cross would not completely burn up from reentry prior to landing?


Yeah, part of me hopes and knows it's just a joke, and part of me hopes it's not.  Also, I'll be severely disappointed if it's just in some kind of vessel.  That would be lame.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Oh your God
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 07:29:55 pm »

Quote from: "miles"

Hate to be nitpicky, well, no I don't, but Jehovah's Witnesses don't even use the cross in worship.


I didn't say they did.  I was just saying that this, to me, seems like if JW's were to walk past your window every few days holding leaflets up.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up