Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: H2G2  (Read 12934 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
H2G2
« on: March 02, 2005, 06:21:24 pm »

http://home.gotland.com/totta/uktrailer.avi

New trailer. This being the UK version as far as I know.
I was skeptical for a long time, but I like the look of it now. very different, but then all the versions are. I always kind of felt that to make a movie of it, you'd have to have it not feel like a movie, just because of the inherent english sadness of it.
Stephen Fry as the book works for me, Rickman as Marvin too. Mos Def as Ford is for me the weakest link, but I think the rest of it looks like it can make up for him. I read a review of the preview which said he didn't quite grab the audience as Ford should. He should really be the character that drives the story afterall. I still think Rockwell isn't quite laconic enough for Zaphod, but again, I think it might just work.

Now, I'm finished being geeky. For now.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
H2G2
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 01:13:06 am »

I like that trailer, but the editing on it isn't as good as the other one I've seen with the guide in it. It was nice to see that the Vogons look and sound better than I thought, though. I'm not to worried about Mos Def playing Ford, because they chose my dream choice for Marvin. I remember the second I heard about this I thought to myself, "I hope they get Alan Rickman". And there he is.

Anyways, fuck Star Wars, this is the one I'm looking forward to.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
H2G2
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 01:25:29 am »

Errr... is that bobbly-headed white thing Marvin?
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
H2G2
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 04:27:02 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Errr... is that bobbly-headed white thing Marvin?


Yea. My mom was a bit weirded out by that apparently. It's going to take some getting used to, but then Marvin changes the most in each one. The illustrated book he was totally different, all tall and thin and curvy.
I'm still unsure about the Heart of Gold too, or the giant eyeball... But still, I do really like the look of it, and it'll at least tide me over until Serenity even if it sucks.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
H2G2
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 05:28:58 am »

I think there is something funny about how Marvin looks like a depressed Mac product.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
H2G2
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 05:45:17 am »

I didn't have high hopes for this one, but it opens the week of my birthday so it will likely be my birthday movie this year.

I'm still a little annoyed about Mos Def playing Ford.  It's not because he's black - it's because he's Mos Def.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
H2G2
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 09:34:33 am »

Quote from: "jough"

I'm still a little annoyed about Mos Def playing Ford.  It's not because he's black - it's because he's Mos Def.


I have to say, this is the first time I even became aware of the man's existence. So it's his big chance for me.
Come on, Mos (Mos?), don't blow it!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
H2G2
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:15:49 am »

BUT HE IS PINTSIZE FROM QUESTIONABLE CONTENT.
Logged
goose means greedy

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
H2G2
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 06:23:40 am »

So I was freezeframing the new trailer (mega nerd) and I found this for a split second in the montage at the end:



This is officially the best movie ever.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
H2G2
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 03:18:20 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"

This is officially the best movie ever.


Wow. Just wow!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
H2G2
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 04:16:58 pm »

The trailer looks like a CGI EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!!

So I've given up hope on anything from the book actually making it into the movie.

I did like though that the voice of the guide in the trailer (and possibly the film?) was the same guy who did the BBC series years ago, and also that the UK trailer uses the original TV theme at the end of the trailer (I wonder if the film will use the classic H2G2 tv theme or some new music).

Also, Rickman as Marvin: perfection.

My only concern is that the film will be more about its special effects than its story.  We'll have to wait and see.

Also, the frame above is great - I'll have to watch again to catch that one.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
H2G2
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 04:25:44 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I'm still a little annoyed about Mos Def playing Ford.  It's not because he's black - it's because he's Mos Def.


Does the thing against Mos Def result from the annoying phenomenon of rap artists getting acting roles?  I understand your pain, but there are a few of them who actually do really well.  Method Man is one such case.  Apart from that sitcom, he's always enjoyable.  He is really good on the Wire.  So, give Def a chance.  I haven't seen him in anything other than the Italian Job, and he seemed competent there.

Also, Ice Cube was good in Friday and Boyz n the Hood.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
H2G2
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 04:40:05 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
So I was freezeframing the new trailer (mega nerd) and I found this for a split second in the montage at the end:

[frame]

This is officially the best movie ever.

What the heck is the context of that? At first I thought it was a side effect of the Heart of Gold but I remember the bridge being shielded.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
H2G2
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 05:02:14 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
The trailer looks like a CGI EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!!

So I've given up hope on anything from the book actually making it into the movie.

My only concern is that the film will be more about its special effects than its story.  We'll have to wait and see..


Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay himself just before he died. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. An early review of the film said about 80 percent of it is direct from the book. And if we've learned anything from LOTR, it's that you can still make a film very faithful to the book even if you do add or change a few things.

The trailer highlights all the fancy special effects because they are trying hard to market this film to people who aren't hardcore HHGTG fans. If they showed people what they would actually be getting (excellent writing, dialogue, character interaction) they would be scared and confused.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
H2G2
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 07:36:48 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
though that the voice of the guide in the trailer (and possibly the film?) was the same guy who did the BBC series years ago, and also that the UK trailer uses the original TV theme at the end of the trailer (I wonder if the film will use the classic H2G2 tv theme or some new music).


Nope. It's Stephen Fry. The voice in the series was Peter Jones, who did the first two phases of the radio show, but died a few years back. There was a possibility they were going to peice it together, but Adam's script changed so much of it again that they probably gave up on the idea pretty quick,
I do think Fry is the perfect choice though. They got William Franklin to do the Tertiary Phase of the radio show and the other two that come out soon.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up