Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.  (Read 4070 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« on: August 17, 2003, 09:00:48 pm »

Hey kids,

Just to give you a heads-up, before the week is out I'm going to be moving Plagiarist.com to my new dedicated server, which means that achewood.plagiarist.com will be moving to its new home as well.

The address won't change, but to keep people from posting to both the old and new server while the DNS switches over (usually this happens within 48 hours) I'm going to close the board on the old server and re-direct people to the new IP address.

If you don't know what that means, don't worry. I just didn't want anyone to get scared when all of a sudden "http://achewood.plagiarist.com" turns into a bunch of crazy numbers and stuff for a day or two.

Anyway, this move means that I'll be able to keep the board up pretty much indefinitely, with little added expense.

-- Jough

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 02:42:50 pm »

Okay, if you're reading this you've been correctly re-directed to the new server.

The new link is only temporary.

Please do not adjust your bookmarks.

-- Jough

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 03:15:06 am »

Quote
Anyway, this move means that I'll be able to keep the board up pretty much indefinitely, with little added expense.


Does that mean we'll be getting our money back?

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was thanks for all of your dedication.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 03:41:18 am »

Actually, the few donations didn't cover the cost of the board for the month.

I probably would've had to either resort to advertising or close shop, but now that the site's on the new dedicated server it should have some room to breathe.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 04:01:23 am »

I'll be happy to kick in a contri if you let me know what you need. Give us some numbers, man!

I'm just reluctant to remove funds from the "AugustWest Booze and Porno Fund" and deposit them in the "El Guapo Booze and Porno Fund".

Although God knows you're deserving of said funds.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 02:29:30 am »

Quote
I'll be happy to kick in a contri if you let me know what you need. Give us some numbers, man!


I made a similar request which was ignored.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 03:32:14 am »

Far be it for me to ignore anyone...

It'll end up being like $60 for August, but things have settled to a manageable pace now, so there's no worry.

Seriously, no one's selling their eyes or anything.

P.S. How's the site been performing since last week?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 03:53:32 am »

Quote from: "jough"
It'll end up being like $60 for August, but things have settled to a manageable pace now, so there's no worry.


60 bucks??? All for me.  Hey, there's nigh on a hunderd members 'round here, how come I gotta pick up the whole shootin' match?  

Say whut now?

Quote from: "El Guapo"
Seriously, no one's selling their eyes or anything


However, If you'd like to sell your eyes, please contact Dr. S. Davis, Jr., 123 Phake Street, Suite 2020, Anonymous, WY 87654.

Quote from: "His Royal Highness"
P.S. How's the site been performing since last week?


It was good for me, was it good for you?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 05:11:47 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

60 bucks??? All for me.  Hey, there's nigh on a hunderd members 'round here, how come I gotta pick up the whole shootin' match?  


For the month of August.  Sheesh.  

And yes, if everyone donated 60 cents ($1.38 before fees) then it would truly be a group effort.

Quote from: "West"

It was good for me, was it good for you?


I was sorta wondering if it was noticeably faster, slower, indifferent, etc.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2003, 05:13:59 pm »

I'm sorry, Jough, are you saying you didn't end up with $60 this month? What the hell is wrong with you people? That's shameful.

OK, I should lay off, not knowing everyone's situation and all. After all, I hear a lot of folks saying that they don't even subscribe to Serializer, due to financial constraints.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 12:25:45 am »

I got 16.7% - that's nearly 60% between us, Asherdan. People? Anybody?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 05:42:20 am »

I kicked in 33 percent

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Moving Servers - No Change to the Board URL address, though.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2003, 08:02:40 am »

My point was only that relying on donations to pay for anything would not be feasible.

And heck, the month of August isn't over yet.  What am I supposed to do, hit you people up for money every month?  Most can't afford to donate, which is cool, and even those that can may not want to, or feel that it's fair that 5% of the board population pays all of the freight.

I don't mind donating a little to the group, as long as it doesn't start to hurt.

But now with my own server: bandwidth is cheaper, disk space is cheaper, etc., it probably won't be a problem unless traffic increases to some ridiculous degree (a million hits a day, the site having to be put on two 4.5Ghz dual-processor Xeons with load balancing, plus a separate database server).

And if that happens, we'll talk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up