Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Argh! Damn server  (Read 1972 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Argh! Damn server
« on: March 04, 2005, 07:39:28 pm »

I need to vent here people. I use Jiffynet as the host for cortjstr.com after many dumbrellites recommended it. It's always been decent overall (phenomenal considering the cost) but Wednesday night they lost a whole server. And found out the backup drives were corrupted. And didn't tell me until I sent an e-mail to support. They saved my index page but lost all my other data. Granted, nothing was critical or irreplaceable but it's still frustrating.

Also, it seems that receiving mail is hit-or-miss as some of the DNS servers still think I don't exist.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Argh! Damn server
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 10:40:18 pm »

Ugh.  I hope you keep your own backups.  I mean, you had to FTP the files from somewhere, right?

Still, that's inexcuseable, especially if you're paying them money.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Argh! Damn server
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 11:14:14 pm »

Quote from: jough
Ugh.  I hope you keep your own backups.  I mean, you had to FTP the files from somewhere, right?

Still, that's inexcuseable, especially if you're paying them money.
There only things I didn't have a complete backup of were my *****s.txt file and my "what I'm listening to" script.

I would've lost my e-mail but I store it locally (and back that up to an external drive)

I guess I'm just lucky that I didn't have the message board or shopping cart enabled. But still, for only $20 a year their service has been great otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 02:11:12 pm by CortJstr »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Argh! Damn server
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 11:58:26 pm »

Yeah, the only things I'd lose are that day's comments and message board posts (like all of these).

It wouldn't be crushing, but it would be annoying.  I feel your pain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up