Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the grudge- a movie  (Read 2402 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
the grudge- a movie
« on: March 06, 2005, 10:14:18 pm »

saw that last night with my gf.

1- i'm not good at horror movies.  my memory is such, that i remember useless bullshit and forget important things.  such that, i still remember parts of "The Ring" at the most inopportune time (like, say, when i'm putting in a VHS tape and i get static at the beginning).  So, i don't watch a lot of horror movies.

2- i'd heard a lot of bad things about this movie.  apparently, sarah michele geller can't act.  or something.

So, the movie.

i would have to give it a thumbs up, since it scared the shit out of me.  it's a sunny sunday, bright and cheery, and as i think about the movie, i get chills.

can sarah michelle geller act?  i dunno.  i was too busy being scared to really notice.

ted raimi is the movie, since apparently sam raimi produced it or something.  ted raimi's presence comforted me a bit, since he's just so damned likable.  however, everytime i see him now, i will most likely be a bit discomfitted.

the good thing is, to me, that the movie is a "spooky ghost supernatural" movie, so when i get scared i can say "la la la, it's not possible! science science science!"

the alternative rental choice my gf had presented me with was "Saw", which i refused to watch.  i don't like psycho movies, since, well, psyhcopaths are very real.

anyways,

if'n you are a scaredy cat, i can highly recommend this flick.  it scared me.

ifn't you are not a scaredy cat, i prolly can't help you, since, well, i'm a scaredy cat.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: the grudge- a movie
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 11:15:56 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
the alternative rental choice my gf had presented me with was "Saw", which i refused to watch.  i don't like psycho movies, since, well, psyhcopaths are very real.

anyways,

if'n you are a scaredy cat, i can highly recommend this flick.  it scared me.

ifn't you are not a scaredy cat, i prolly can't help you, since, well, i'm a scaredy cat.


I really hated Saw, but it's been so long since I've seen it (over a year) I can't remember why really.

I haven't seen Grudge, so I can't comment, but I'm always looking for good horror movie suggestions.  Especially really scary ones, because I'm almost never scared by horror movies.  Even ones I really like.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: the grudge- a movie
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 12:29:42 am »

Quote from: "miles"
I really hated Saw, but it's been so long since I've seen it (over a year) I can't remember why really.

I read one review of that movie which made a point of spoiling it in the first sentence. The idea being that would make fewer people see it thus helping to prevent Saw 2*. The guy thought it was terrible but would do well at the box office anyway.


*scheduled release date, Halloween '05
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: the grudge- a movie
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:41:12 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "miles"
I really hated Saw, but it's been so long since I've seen it (over a year) I can't remember why really.

I read one review of that movie which made a point of spoiling it in the first sentence.

Link? I have no desire to actually see Saw, but I'm curious as to what its schtick was.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: the grudge- a movie
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 12:53:04 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "miles"
I really hated Saw, but it's been so long since I've seen it (over a year) I can't remember why really.

I read one review of that movie which made a point of spoiling it in the first sentence.

Link? I have no desire to actually see Saw, but I'm curious as to what its schtick was.

I misremembed. He warns  you severals times that'll he'll spoil the movie because it sucks. Anyway, it's here.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
the grudge- a movie
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 08:11:33 am »

I'm still refusing to watch The Grudge, despite the friend of mine who keeps telling me to. If I do watch it I will certainly watch the original first. So far I have avoided The Ring, although someone said it was worth watching for the new take on the video itself.
Ringu didn't scare me though... Horror just doesn't really get me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
the grudge- a movie
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 09:40:12 am »

I love horror movies.  Having said that I must paraphrase Onstad's famous quote about funny strips.  Horror movies suck, they suck so hard. They suck in the worst, most shameful way. Horror movies are such incredible formulaic garbage, with a few excellent exceptions that I will not list here.

The last horror movie I saw and enjoyed was Silence of the Lambs.  When they're good they can be awesome, but mostly they are a waste of my time.  The same thing can be said about action movies.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
the grudge- a movie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 10:21:46 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Horror movies are such incredible formulaic garbage, with a few excellent exceptions that I will not list here.


I did like Ringu for not being formulaic, and for using the typical western techniques to mislead the viewer. It opens with a set of shots where you just expect, from watching American horror, for someone to appear behind people, and yet nothing. But then maybe I'm biased as I like to subvert common techniques and styles when I create things.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
the grudge- a movie
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:33:14 pm »

I saw Ring, and Ringu, and the Grudge. I totally can't remember the Grudge, so my guess is somewhat suck. Horror movies are a crapshoot, but it sure seems like my local Blockbuster has a lot more of them these days.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1]   Go Up