Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS X on WinXP  (Read 1941 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
OS X on WinXP
« on: March 07, 2005, 02:35:52 am »

Okay, so while I'm waiting for my Mac Mini referrals to go through so I can get a Mac OS test machine (see my sig) I'm also in the process of installing Mac OS on my XP laptop using PearPC.

Here's the guide I used (it was the third one I turned to because the original guides and software that I downloaded were unnecessarily complicated and in some cases just dead dead wrong):

http://os-emulation.net/pearpc/web/installX.html

It took about five hours to install the OS on my box, but whatever.  Once I answered a few questions and got it started I could leave the box unattended and go out to dinner.

I have to install networking on it later, along with some additional apps.

Anyway, OS X really is a thing of beauty.  The emulator takes up about 25% of the CPU, but it's pretty responsive nonetheless.  Once you get past the dreamlike state of the penis (this is on a 1.8Ghz Athlon XP laptop - on a 3Ghz P4 w/hyperthreading it should be better - I'll test that hypothesis later this week) I'm sure it'll be fine for testing some web designs in Safari, IE 5, etc.  

For me this is more of an "I'm impressed that the bear dances at all" thing.  It's no substitute for a Mac, but for people like me who want to use their windows apps and then alt-tab into a Mac app it'll serve for the time being.

I only made a 3Gb virtual hard drive image so after installing the OS I have about 1.1 Gb left.  Obviously I'm not going to be playing games or doing anything high performance inside the emulator, but I was wondering if Mac people on here would recommend a "Killer App" that I should try out for Panther.  I already have iLife '05 and whatever comes with the installation.

I may get brave later and install VirtualPC inside OS X, and then install Windows XP inside Virtual PC, and then PearPC inside that Virtual PC copy of PearPC, etc.  Of course, I'd have to make and mount a larger virtual drive for all of that.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
OS X on WinXP
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 03:01:37 am »

Hmmmm. Just mess around with Garage Band, which you already have. It kicks the llamas ass, as the old Winamp ads used to say.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: OS X on WinXP
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:13:10 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I may get brave later and install VirtualPC inside OS X, and then install Windows XP inside Virtual PC, and then PearPC inside that Virtual PC copy of PearPC, etc.  Of course, I'd have to make and mount a larger virtual drive for all of that.

I can't even fathom this working. But the geek in me (in other words 98% of me) wants to see how far you can take it. It's like that thread where we quoted quotes just see how far they would recurse.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: OS X on WinXP
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 03:23:40 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Okay, so while I'm waiting for my Mac Mini referrals to go through so I can get a Mac OS test machine (see my sig) I'm also in the process of installing Mac OS on my XP laptop using PearPC.

Here's the guide I used (it was the third one I turned to because the original guides and software that I downloaded were unnecessarily complicated and in some cases just dead dead wrong):

http://os-emulation.net/pearpc/web/installX.html

It took about five hours to install the OS on my box, but whatever.  Once I answered a few questions and got it started I could leave the box unattended and go out to dinner.

I have to install networking on it later, along with some additional apps.

Anyway, OS X really is a thing of beauty.  The emulator takes up about 25% of the CPU, but it's pretty responsive nonetheless.  Once you get past the dreamlike state of the penis (this is on a 1.8Ghz Athlon XP laptop - on a 3Ghz P4 w/hyperthreading it should be better - I'll test that hypothesis later this week) I'm sure it'll be fine for testing some web designs in Safari, IE 5, etc.  

For me this is more of an "I'm impressed that the bear dances at all" thing.  It's no substitute for a Mac, but for people like me who want to use their windows apps and then alt-tab into a Mac app it'll serve for the time being.

I only made a 3Gb virtual hard drive image so after installing the OS I have about 1.1 Gb left.  Obviously I'm not going to be playing games or doing anything high performance inside the emulator, but I was wondering if Mac people on here would recommend a "Killer App" that I should try out for Panther.  I already have iLife '05 and whatever comes with the installation.

I may get brave later and install VirtualPC inside OS X, and then install Windows XP inside Virtual PC, and then PearPC inside that Virtual PC copy of PearPC, etc.  Of course, I'd have to make and mount a larger virtual drive for all of that.


PearPC is hella slow :( One thing I would like to see is if SOME motherfucker has the Rhapsody DR2 CD, so I can install and then update Darwin on it,(or better yet, the 'secret' Apple OS X x86 build).

HUGS people.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
OS X on WinXP
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 03:38:40 am »

There's a sourceforge project called "softpear" which enables you to boot OS X natively to an x386 machine.  I have no idea how well it works.

I installed Mandrake on my old 380mhz K62 laptop and it was dead balls slow using KDE, but as a web server with no gui it ran pretty well with a LAMP setup.

Yeah, PearPC is pretty slow.  I was going to reply to this thread in Safari just for kicks, but the "waiting 30 seconds for the last paragraph I wrote to go to to the screen" thing was getting on my nerves.

Web surfing is about as fast on PearPC/OSX as it was on the old laptop, though - which is to say that the PearPC/OSX combo makes my 1.8Ghz machine perform as well as a 380mhz machine.

I mostly just wanted to do it for the sake of doing it, and also because I am a geek.  But mostly because I wanted to be able to test new web designs on Mac-only browsers.

I can't wait to get my Mini, though.  I need to whore more referral links around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up