Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Yale interview  (Read 4137 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« on: March 09, 2005, 02:03:49 pm »

I'm just waiting for Bobby to show up and respond to:
Quote from: "Onstad"
we like to check daily things. If I provide daily entertainment, daily readers will show up
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Yale interview
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 02:14:24 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm just waiting for Bobby to show up and respond to:
Quote from: "Onstad"
we like to check daily things. If I provide daily entertainment, daily readers will show up


done thank you come again

EDIT: here is your daily entertainment

MacGyver and a Seal
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Yale interview
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 02:24:25 pm »

It made me go and check out a picture of Watterson. What a mustache!
He basically looks like Calvin's dad too.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Yale interview
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:00:52 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
It made me go and check out a picture of Watterson. What a mustache!
He basically looks like Calvin's dad too.


I was looking for one last week after reading a bunch of the archive.  It was hard to find one, but, yeah, it's a bit surprising.  Apparently mustaches are back in.  Wait...were they ever even out?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Yale interview
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 04:03:00 pm »

Quote from: "miles"

I was looking for one last week after reading a bunch of the archive.  It was hard to find one, but, yeah, it's a bit surprising.  Apparently mustaches are back in.  Wait...were they ever even out?


Google image search did the job fine for me.
And, I'm never convinced by mustaches. But I decided to goatify for a while. I'm usually pretty anti-beard, just to be the only male in my family without facial hair, but I thought I may as well try it for proper.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 06:49:06 pm »

This is the most boring interview with Onstad ever.  Yale, phooey.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 06:55:39 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "slink"
It made me go and check out a picture of Watterson. What a mustache!
He basically looks like Calvin's dad too.


I was looking for one last week after reading a bunch of the archive.  It was hard to find one, but, yeah, it's a bit surprising.  Apparently mustaches are back in.  Wait...were they ever even out?


I thought it was awesome that he likened Watterson to Herbert Kornfield. Midstate Office Supply, what?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Yale interview
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 08:30:23 pm »

I also have to say, it's a striking coincedence that Mr. Onstad should have discovered Wodehouse at such a time, as I too have been collecting the series' of Jeeves and Wooster that Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie did in the early 90's. Unfortunately it makes me talk like this on occasion.
I do have to get round to reading some more Wodehouse though, given how much I enjoy this series.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 09:00:54 pm »

I've been reading a lot of Wodehouse lately too.  In fact, I emailed Chris a copy of this article which I stumbled across today.

I think the Wodehouse and the Patrick O'Brian novels are starting to affect me though.  More and more I find myself speaking or writing like an antiquated Briton.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Yale interview
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 09:23:36 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
More and more I find myself speaking or writing like an antiquated Briton.


My dear fellow, it is the only way to speak!

I guess me liking Wodehouse is natural, seeing as how large an effect he had on Douglas Adams who was my favourite author for pretty much all of my childhood, and still fills me with glee.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 09:28:56 pm »

All through 8th grade, I worked on the Jeeves Omnibus. Ye gods, how I love Wodehouse.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 11:21:49 pm »

Didn't this interview end kind of quickly? Like the guy ran out of questions and so just sent the e-mail (or whatever) without any last minute pleasantries.

Slink: I'm sure you already have, but if you haven't read the Salmon of Doubt do so at your earliest convenience. Its a great collection of a wide range of Adams' work and with a couple of pieces on Wodehouse to boot (or maybe just one, have to re-read my copy now).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Yale interview
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 11:51:42 pm »

Quote from: "Doc"
Slink: I'm sure you already have, but if you haven't read the Salmon of Doubt do so at your earliest convenience.


The day it came out... Actually I think it came out so close to my birthday that I got it from someone then. Certainly a gift it was.
It depressed me greatly though, since my favourite Adams novel is Holistic Detective Agency, and the prospect of more Dirk Gently filled me with glee. But it was so painfully short, what he had of it, I wish they hadn't put it in.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

sasquatch feeder

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 12:29:23 am »

I too immediately did an image search for Bill Watterson's picture and he does look like a cross between Calvin's dad and Herbert Kornfeld. Except that moustache is out of control. I think it is trying to take over his face.

I dug how Onstad referred to Herbert Kornfeld without any qualifiers, and that the Herald editor didn't feel the need to identify him either. They just assumed we'd know.

Now I have to go read some Wodehouse. Several friends have been trying to convince me of it for years, but it wasn't until Mr. Onstad's endorsement that I was won over. Maybe it can take over for Agatha Christie novels as my antiquated British brain candy. (I'm starting to remember the plots, which sort of spoils the surprise of a re-read.)
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Yale interview
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 03:02:01 am »

Quote from: "slink"
it was so painfully short, what he had of it, I wish they hadn't put it in.


Yeah all we got were the little scenes that make no sense up until you read the end where they all tie together... but we got no end so they remain perpetually untied.

Although his book did have my favourite description of Australia (where I am) ever.

Just so this isn't totally off-topic, all this talk has convinced me to try some Wodehouse, any suggestions of a good book to start on?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up