Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Dawg at the Crossroads  (Read 24283 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 07:37:12 pm »

No, no, no!

Pedro is adorable and sexy and brilliant and charming but he is WRONG.

And yeah, I had the same thought as Jough - isn't it really expensive to live in Hawaii too?  

Limmo, I want to read your answer too...  I was in Venice with Kogepan, I would not let him go by himself like the garden gnome.  I have been there for a couple of weeks a couple of times, a couple of years ago.  My friend in Orange County - the one I visited the time we didn't have the West Coast Ache-con - used to live there when she was in law school.  The picture of Kogepan eating a taco on the Venice boardwalk is central to my fantasy, it's in front of a little half-empty office complex that faces the ocean.  I dream of having a little office there where I sit and write my third series of murder mysteries, which would be set in Venice, of course, and eating wonderful green chile tacos for lunch - wonderful tacos, AD, it's a culinary paradise - and getting a foot massage once in a while from the strange Chinese massage place on the first floor. With the windows wide open to the sea breeze and the pugs asleep at my feet. And watching the sun set and then walking home to my odd little house on the Venice walk streets.

This doesn't help AD though... unless it helps to make him believe what a wonderful fantasyland LA is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 07:51:25 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
That's right folks, a total of 14% tax on all purchases!  


17.5.
On anything not bought in this fuck*ng country now too.

So basically, at least LA is cheap to live in.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 08:33:38 pm »

Slink?  Shut the fuck up.   Pedro?  Double shut the fuck up.

Wombat?  I understand your fantasy regarding Venice Beach.   It is a neato place full of great restaurants and artists.  It also has plenty of  bullet-spraying gang activity.  So it’s kind of a trade-off.

Aloha?  First of all, according to salary.com, the cost of living in L.A. would be 4.6% lower than living and working in Honolulu.  Which would give you an extra $2500 in income per year.  Yippee.

Alright, you’re going to be working in downtown Los Angeles.  You will not be living there, because the only people who live downtown are artists and other avant single people.  

You have kids.  You will need to put them in school.  As someone in a post above said, the L.A Unified School District is hit-or miss at best.   The quality of schools is much better here in the South Bay – El Segundo and the beach communities ( Redondo, Manhattan, Hermosa, Seal…Torrance is good too ).  But if you move down here…

Your home and job will be nowhere near each other, so you will have to get a car you really like.  Because your ass will be sitting in it for at least an hour every weekday.

I don’t know if you own your home or you rent.  The housing market here in Los Angeles is ABSOLUTELY fuck*ng ABSURD.  You’re looking at $400,000 for a house here, bare minimum.  Renting is less steep, but still not cheap.

Asherdan’s points are right on the money.  On the other hand,  Wombat’s fantasy vision of L.A. is not as rose-tinted as other posters here seem to think it is.  The only place in America that Southern California suffers in comparison to is, well, Hawaii.  And there’s a hell of a lot more going on here than there.  L.A. is great, especially in comparison to, I dunno, Houston or Scotland or ( rolling eyes ) North Carolina.  

However, all this is fairly moot, owing to the third paragraph of your post.  Your wife, you say, is not about to move to Los Angeles.  If that’s really the case, then guess what?  You’re staying in Hawaii.

A blog about life here.

A very helpful page for finding decent schools out here.  
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 08:44:37 pm »

Limmo is Mean.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 08:48:32 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Limmo is Mean.

~Paul


Only to people who talk shit about where I live.  Especially people who have never been here.  I would have been nicer, but Pedro's boilerplate bullshit about how horrible everything/everyone is out here kinda got me cranky a bit.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 08:58:58 pm »

Well, as someone who was just offered a job in Baltimore, I say, doesn't anyplace worth going have a little bullet-spraying gang activity?

It's true about the cost of houses.  My friend's little two-bedroom house in Orange County was about 500,000.  But even though it's small, it's wonderful.  And your house doesn't need to be as big when you can spend time outside in the yard twelve months of the year.  

And as for the commute - I seem to recall, AD, that you've sometimes talked about getting a job in DC someday?  Most people's commutes here are just as long, and sometimes they have to make them in the SNOW.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 08:59:44 pm »

Judging by the other responses in this thread, it really sounds like LA is livable but not a huge step up from your lifestyle now. This means that the real question is what your family has to say about it. When you say that your wife is "not about to move to Los Angeles" -- how firm in that is she? (In other words, how many problems will it cause if you decide to move?) And what's the root of her objections? The kids are also a factor -- the baby, maybe not so much, but your other daughter is certainly old enough to have a voice (not a deciding vote, but a voice).

Honestly, the best advice I can give is to make sure your family can get entirely behind whatever decision you end up making. Moving a fairly long distance is hard enough even with the full support of a family, but if your loved ones are going to be miserable in LA, there really isn't enough money in the world to make that a good decision.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 09:10:46 pm »

'dawg- that is the suck.  sorry to hear it.

why has noone talked about smog?  isn't smog the fundemental backbone of L.A.?

in a weird sort of synchronicity, i read this today:
http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/2005/03/election_day.html
which is about the current L.A. mayoral elections etc.  i thought it was interesting.

i was not aware the housing market in the L.A. area was so bad, i thought that was localized to the Bay Area.  it saddens me.  Be Very Afraid of the Housing Bubble.  I would not want to be moving to Cali at this point in time.  Maybe in 5 years you could pick up some cheap foreclosed properties, but right now it's frightening.

Isn't L.A. the simplest example to show what "Sprawl" is?  I'd assume that would be the single greatest difference between Hawaii and it.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 09:20:21 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
So I'll throw a tie-breaker at you: If you come out the first round of barbeque is at my humble abode.  I'll even clean the hot tub for you.


And if you're coming here to check the place out, I volunteer to act as your tour guide / Cub Scout Leader.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 09:27:58 pm »

They say the fuckin' smog is the fuckin' reason you have such beautiful fuckin' sunsets.

I don't know squat about LA but if it would hurt your family to move there (or worse, separate you from your family for an extended period) than even if they pay you double it ain't worth it, Dawg.

Unless you *want* to get away from your family, in which case go for it.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 10:25:47 pm »

Some of my most memorable vacations are in Southern California, the best being a small trip last year when I attended the Coachella festival.  Afterwards, I stayed in the Hilton on Sunset, where I got LAID.  It was kickass.  It's a beautiful place to visit.  I love walking around Sunset, hanging out on the beach, Disneyland, all that shit, but I don't know if I would ever live there.  The goal is to have enough money to visit there often, and live somewhere more laid back (probably somewhere else in the Southwest, or possibly back up to the Pacific Northwest).  The traffic is way too much, and earthquakes freak me out (growing up in Seattle, I guess you get that way, because they big one's always coming).  Although, Venice is one of the most charming places in the US, and one day, it may be worth it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 01:15:59 am »

Quote from: "miles"
I stayed in the Hilton on Sunset, where I got LAID.


I heard there were lots of hookers down on Sunset.  Is that still true miles?.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 02:01:28 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
And as for the commute - I seem to recall, AD, that you've sometimes talked about getting a job in DC someday?  Most people's commutes here are just as long, and sometimes they have to make them in the SNOW.

Only if you're silly enough to drive all the way into DC from say, Ashburn. Or like my coworker who goes Bethesda->Reston.

Also, when you say $400K for a house, I can only assume that you meant to type townhouse because otherwise that's sounding pretty cheap.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2005, 02:01:48 am »

I really appreciate several of these posts and I'm totally entertained by all of them.

Median housing cost on Oahu is $505,000 as of this year. So in the greater LA area I can do OK I'm sure in comparison to here, that's one consideration. Spending 2 hours in the car on average every workday is pretty much a dealbreaker for me. That is definitely a major quality of life issue for me. Also, we have a general excise tax that is at 4.166% which is reiterated throughout the manufacturing and distribution process so that when you buy something the price is inflated by that tax being assessed 2-3 times prior to purchase.

I applied for several jobs with HMSA here in Hawaii that sound intriguing but of course would be pay cuts. Cost of paradise and all that. I know that SoCal can be beautiful and until the report date is come and gone I can't say whether we are going to be there or not (it will be a tough sell for the woman in my life) but I do appreciate your input, especially those of you who live there.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2005, 02:49:11 am »

Ok and just for more background:

On Monday they called and said I had to move and that there were several options including Miami and North Carolina.  They mentioned LA and and I mentioned that would be pretty low on my list of places to go.

On Wednesday I called them back to tell them that we discussed it and we would like to go to Miami and specifically, that I didn't want to go to LA.
Before I could even get to my request for Miami, they flat out told me that they had met and decided to relocate me to LA. No option. No input. No choices. Short time-frame.

They were nice enough to also mention that they expected me to spend about two years in LA and then move again.

Given this information, do you think I should even entertain remaining in the employ of this agency let alone move at their whim?

I'm inclined to seek my fortune away from the public teat on which I have nursed for so long but only time will tell on this one. LA people, keep sounding off, your input is totally appreciated.

Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up