Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Dawg at the Crossroads  (Read 24278 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 02:57:37 am »

Well, that sure sounds like a Take This Job and Shove It moment.

But then you wouldn't get to live in LA!!!!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2005, 03:27:46 am »

Man, I'm sorry, taking the job (in both hands if necessary) and shoving seems indicated. Best to see how things work out with new prospects in Hawaii, though. That said.. wow. Wow wow wow.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2005, 04:32:06 am »

Been away from the computer all day today (14 hour workdays suck) which is why it's taken me this long to say, "Dude, that sucks!"  Dawg, I'm sorry you're going through this.  This too shall pass and all that.

Some random thoughts:

If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy.

I've been to LA twice now and liked it both times.  I get the feeling that I shouldn't and that I should like NoCal better (not that I've been there), but I like LA anyway.  This boy from the green rollin' hills of old Kentucky likes the desert.

RE: the Government teat thing.  This is a tough analysis.  How many years do you have in already?  In my case this would make a huge difference.  Currently I have 17 years until I can retire.  I can buy 5, which cuts it to 12.  Each year brings me closer to the point where I can tough out almost anything for a little while to get that substantial financial benefit.  Also, I like working for the government.  It's nice to wear the white hat.  

What about job satisfaction?  Do you like what you do?  Insurance companies kind of really suck (Before my current job I regulated insurers for 6 years, so I know something of where I speak.)  What's your dream job?  Would you be moving closer to or farther from it?

And of course as a Dad, family considerations are huge.  Even if the job, the location and the money are all great it's worthless if your family is going to be miserable.

Tax:  Ky has 6% sales tax.  However we also have property taxes, federal income tax, state income tax, FICA, Insurance premium taxes, Fuel excise tax etc, etc, etc.  I don't want to get into a huge examination of who has the higher total tax burden -- it's probably Slink.  But just looking at sales tax or VAT is only a tiny fraction of the whole picture, innit?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2005, 05:32:07 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
I would have been nicer, but Pedro's boilerplate bullshit about how horrible everything/everyone is out here kinda got me cranky a bit.


You may be pleased to know that Pedro has been reprimanded by his wife for spouting off about things of which he knows very little.  Given that most of what we know about LA comes from Steve Martin movies, I think he was probably out of line.  

FWIW, I'd like to take this opportunity to tell A.D. that if the North Carolina option comes up again, he should throw himself at it as hard as possible, as long as the office is in an actual city.  (We only have two -- Raleigh and Charlotte.  Durham thinks it's a city, but it's not.)  North Carolina is a fantastic place for families, and it's still relatively cheap to live here because -- well, for Pete's sake, it's the South.  Southern folk don't abide by high taxes.  

North Carolina: You Can't Buy Booze on Sunday, But You Can Get a Gun at Wal-Mart.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2005, 05:43:52 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"

North Carolina: You Can't Buy Booze on Sunday, But You Can Get a Gun at Wal-Mart.


1.  HI JL!!!!

2.  That goes for Ky too.  I think you could probably buy a gun at Kroger on a Sunday, but not a six pack.  (despite the fact that our biggest industries are tobacco, whiskey, racehosss and marijuana.  Kentucky!  We'll sell it to you, just take it elsewhere!)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2005, 06:36:36 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "miles"
I stayed in the Hilton on Sunset, where I got LAID.


I heard there were lots of hookers down on Sunset.  Is that still true miles?.


Oh yeah.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2005, 06:39:43 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Point of order:

Disneyland is in Anaheim, which is in Orange County, which is NOT part of LA regardless of what that lackluster bastard of a baseball team owner would have the rest of the world think.


Oh I know, but it's close enough to LA to be another good reason for visiting LA.  Southern California, all the way down to San Diego, is just a place I like.  I spent a lot of time there growing up, until most of my family moved away.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2005, 06:52:15 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think you could probably buy a gun at Kroger on a Sunday, but not a six pack.


Back home, I can buy a gun at the local mall, in a sporting-goods store. And not just animal hunting guns, people hunting guns too. They actually had the huge-ass 50 Magnums, last time I was there, and little Saturday Night Specials for about $60. It was chilling when a friend and I were home for winter break, walked into the store and realized we could actually purchase a handgun, and then walk directly into the mall proper.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2005, 01:55:15 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Disneyland is in Anaheim, which is in Orange County, which is NOT part of LA regardless of what that lackluster bastard of a baseball team owner would have the rest of the world think.


You mean The The Angels Angels of Anaheim?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2005, 02:59:25 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
people hunting guns too.


Aaieeee....

As a native New Yorker who finds anything south of DC rather frightening, I actually would second jl's point about North Carolina. It's quite surprisingly (to me) civilized in the cities there (even Durham).  There are lots of worse choices.

That's only if I haven't convinced you to live in LA though.  Do you have any idea how humid it is in NC?  In LA they don't even know what humidity is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2005, 04:01:06 pm »

Of course there are hookers on Sunset.  That's how you tell when the seasons have changed: when they start wearing jackets, it's autumn.

Aloha: when I said an hour in the car, that was including both legs of your trip.  If you can afford a $500K house, you don't need to move to the sticks.  You would still have a commute to downtown, but it wouldn't be so completely horrible.  

From my completely ill-informed vantage point, I'd say move to L.A. ( free relocation to the mainland ), either buy or rent a place, and then start actively seeking a non-government job once you're here.  Hell, you could get a nice townhouse in Santa Monica, where the schools are good ( not part of LAUSD ) and figure out what the next move is.

More input later.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2005, 04:32:43 pm »

No job, not even one you really, really love, should ever become your life!  Aloha, your employers are saying "we're going to fuck you, and you're going to like it"  Pardon the french, but that is what it is that they are saying to you.  Having felt the horrible barbed-c*ck sting of my employers doing suck nastiness to me in the past has convinced me that I will never let them tear my proverbial prom dress again.  If they're saying they're going to move you again in another two years, and who knows how many more times after that, the impact on your family is going to be huge!  Have some dignity.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2005, 05:50:51 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"


From my completely ill-informed vantage point, I'd say move to L.A. ( free relocation to the mainland ), either buy or rent a place, and then start actively seeking a non-government job once you're here.  


I like this.  Screw them by taking your relocation expenses and then tell them to shove the job.  It's perfect.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2005, 06:01:58 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Limmo"

From my completely ill-informed vantage point, I'd say move to L.A. ( free relocation to the mainland ), either buy or rent a place, and then start actively seeking a non-government job once you're here.  

I like this.  Screw them by taking your relocation expenses and then tell them to shove the job.  It's perfect.

I'd think there'd be a clause for this. Like if you quite in <6 months you have to pay them back for the move or something. Unless the gov't is even dumber than I thought.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2005, 06:13:17 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'd think there'd be a clause for this. Like if you quite in <6 months you have to pay them back for the move or something. Unless the gov't is even dumber than I thought.


Oh, I'm not proposing that he just show up here and quit.  Totally changing your life around in a new city would take more than six months.

No one ever went broke underestimating the dumbness of the government.  Especially defense contractors.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up