The current plan:
Ok, for those of you still interested -
I'm waiting for orders posting me to Los Angeles. My understanding is that I can decline those orders and rather than be fired or having to quit, the government has to process my separation as a RIF (reduction in force).
This way, I get 16 weeks of severance pay, I'm pretty sure I qualify for unemployment, I can still cash in my vacation time, and I can get a hiring preference for any Federal jobs here in Hawaii.
so 280 hours of vacation cashed out, another 640 hours of severance - that works out to 23 weeks of pay. Plus unemployment.
That's almost half a year to find a job or start a business or surf or whatever.
Also, I had a job interview just this morning with HMSA and they seem to really like my resume's fit with a job they have. It pays 55-60K. If I were to start that job in, say, May, still get the 23 weeks of pay I actually come out ahead on the year AND I could get another Fed job that is here permanently (and take my time looking for the right job).
This could work out OK. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for some of you mooks to come out and visit. Cause I might have a month there with nothing better to do.