Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Dawg at the Crossroads  (Read 24324 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2005, 09:26:15 pm »

My 2 1/2 cents:

If my recent job-starting experience is any indication, weird is definitely the word.  I think this is normal and doesn't have long-term relevance.  I hope.

My husband, who likes his relatively new job, says it took at least a month to get to like it.  So if you don't get instant gratification - also, perhaps not a long term problem.

New is hard.  Stupid little things are a constant pain - you don't know the basic things like where to find pens and how to work the copy machine, etc etc etc.  It's more draining than you might think, but it gets better.

Hang in there.   (And I'll try to do the same.)  Good luck!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2005, 09:49:46 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Weird can be good, though.  I've always found starting new jobs to be exciting.  Scary at times, but exciting and invigourating nonetheless.

Will we still see you here, AD?  Can you access the board from home?

I hope so.  Keep us appraised.


Once the harddrive problem gets resolved, I'll be posting. I can also post from my US Gubmint Laptop til they make me send it back.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2005, 02:01:49 pm »

dude, take the laptop and run!

Seriously, I wish you the best.  If you need further encouragement as to why staying in Hawaii is a good thing I'll happily keep you posted on the horrors of winter in Manitoba!

Cheers!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
'Dawg at the Crossroads
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2005, 06:07:19 pm »

I want to thank all of you for your advice and support.

This is my third week at HMSA and it's not a calling but it pays the bills for now.

We met with some financial guys from John Hancock and gave up all the secrets of our sordid financial past and present. It was painful to look at all in one big picture, so I definitely advocate this to everyone. It will be OK and they think we can fanagle a disbursement from my government plan into an individual IRA which is a type which you can borrow from and take 30 years to pay yourself back, or something like that - that will get us a long way toward where we want to go.

So even though income is way, way down, we are actually happier than we've been in a long time and everything seems to be working out OK.

So again, thanks for all your kind and erudite posts - take your parting shots now, I'll close this thread in a few days since the crossroads are fading into the rearview mirror.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up