Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looks like I lost my job today.  (Read 3029 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Looks like I lost my job today.
« on: March 15, 2005, 03:15:41 am »

First thing this morning my boss calls me into his office and tells me that he's been instructed to replace me.  His boss (actually, his boss's boss) gave him a name and told him to conduct the interview.

It's politically motivated.  I'm a political apointee, a Democrat holdover in a Republican administration, so it's not completely surprising.  However, these guys have been in office over a year now, so I thought I had made it.  I get along well with my boss and the rest of the new management, so it's a little bit of a surprise.

My boss is disappointed and was very complimentary of me and my work.  He doesn't want me to go.  Oh well.

I'm not sure exactly how long I have.  Luckily I have about 6 weeks of vacation and comp time built up.

I'm trying to make this a positive experience.  I spent about 6 years in my last job and that was probably 2 years too long.  I get bored.  It was probably getting close to time for me to make a change anyway.  I did like this job, though.  So now I have a chance to do something different.

I've been trying to cut back on my drinking.  Not tonight.  Please excuse any incoherent posts I may make the rest of the evening.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 03:50:14 am »

This board is fuck*ng jinxed. We have a disproportionate number of unemployed and career-crisis members.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 04:37:30 am »

God, I'm sorry, AW. Take care, and best wishes for a new job soon; I hope that this ends up as a blessing in disguise. In the meanwhile, drinking is justified. Peace be with you.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 05:19:05 am »

I'm so sorry, man.  I really hope you find something you like better super quick.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 06:39:39 am »

Wow, same here, August. Good luck, toot sweet, and...shit. i feel like I should be offering some sort of help, given that we live near eachother? I'll buy you whiskey when I'm in town again.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 07:05:30 am »

Whew, it's a good thing there's a shortage of lawyers.  You should be fine.

Yeah, last year there was a whole round of pregnancies, and this year it's people changing jobs (I like to think of it as "changing jobs" rather than "losing their jobs").

Hang in there, August.  Heck, two weeks notice, six weeks leave time, that's two whole months with which to find something else.  And it's not like you don't have experience.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 01:38:41 pm »

OMG.  Wow.  What's going on around here?

I am starting a new job tomorrow and now I feel guilty.  Did I steal all AlohaDawg and AugustWest's job karma? It took me so long to find a job, it probably required some sacrifices to the gods.  I am so sorry if it was you guys.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 03:40:31 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I am starting a new job tomorrow and now I feel guilty.  Did I steal all AlohaDawg and AugustWest's job karma? It took me so long to find a job, it probably required some sacrifices to the gods.  I am so sorry if it was you guys.

Congrats, though.

I recently got a job, too, and I would hate to think that it was my job-getting that sucked karma away from the rest of the board. (If anyone really wants the job karma of a research assistant and semi-pro rat-handler? You got it.)
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 04:11:42 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
First thing this morning my boss calls me into his office and tells me that he's been instructed to replace me.  His boss (actually, his boss's boss) gave him a name and told him to conduct the interview.

It's politically motivated.  I'm a political apointee, a Democrat holdover in a Republican administration, so it's not completely surprising.  However, these guys have been in office over a year now, so I thought I had made it.  I get along well with my boss and the rest of the new management, so it's a little bit of a surprise.

My boss is disappointed and was very complimentary of me and my work.  He doesn't want me to go.  Oh well.

I'm not sure exactly how long I have.  Luckily I have about 6 weeks of vacation and comp time built up.

I'm trying to make this a positive experience.  I spent about 6 years in my last job and that was probably 2 years too long.  I get bored.  It was probably getting close to time for me to make a change anyway.  I did like this job, though.  So now I have a chance to do something different.

I've been trying to cut back on my drinking.  Not tonight.  Please excuse any incoherent posts I may make the rest of the evening.



Where are you located physically? Maybe the great Achewood DC contingent can help if it's a wonk position.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 06:03:43 pm »

Ack.
Damn politics! Still, if you get easily bored I guess it's a chance to move on, as you say. Best of luck finding something better, and let us know what happens.

That said, it seems two people have recently become jobless, and two people just got jobs. I'm waiting to hear about one, so can someone else go and get fired please?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 07:09:07 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
It's politically motivated.  I'm a political apointee, a Democrat holdover in a Republican administration, so it's not completely surprising.


It couldn't possibly be because of comments like this one

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 08:58:16 pm »

Hey, suck!!!

I'm sorry, AW. As it is, I'm half in the bag, because I'm going back to work today. If it turns out tomorrow that I( have lost my job, I will bl;ame this board. I'm hgoijg to leavew trhis the way tit is, so you can see what these stupid laptopps do to somewhat drunk [posrtrers. FUVKCD!!!

aqLSO, has anyone [layed that Mortal Komabat Deception? It's kind of fun.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 12:07:48 am »

Aug

Of all the people I "know" on this board, I would have to place you among the brightest and the most personable, so I've no doubt at all that you'll do OK. I'm learning a lot about myself and my wife and my friends (not to mention my would-be employer) while I'm dealing with my situation and I'm sure you'll have some great insights as well.

Not that I feel qualified to give advice but what I'm doing is remaining calm, exploring every possible option, and trying to listen to the still small voice in my heart that I've been neglecting for a lot of years now - that's the part of me that's trying to stay in tune with what God has in mind.  Whatever I wind up doing, I feel that this time in my life was given to me in order that I not take all the gifts I've been given for granted, and to teach me patience and humility, two things I can certainly do with more of.

I've cried and prayed and pondered over my situation and it seems like forever but I realized today it's only been a week! It can all change in one day.

Over the next few weeks I'll be thinking about you and your family, knowing at least in some way what you are going through.

Let this be a lesson to all of you: Fed employment is not always a sure thing.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 12:43:19 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Aug

Of all the people I "know" on this board, I would have to place you among the brightest and the most personable,


This is just because all my posts today have been unreadable and inexplicable, isn't it? ISN'T IT?

If I am among the brightest and most personable, then ignore that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Looks like I lost my job today.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 01:35:39 am »

Actually, Nabu, it's a close race with a 180-way tie for second place.

You're not the one currently needing to hear good things, so hush.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up