Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Paul, in re: tomatos  (Read 3827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:45:23 pm »

My tomato starts are just tearing it up. We are strongly considering putting them in the ground today. How are yours doing? We already have the potatoes, peas, and chard in the ground, and the Bok Choi, Broccoli, and Kohlrabi are starting very nicely.

I didn't know where to put this, but this is the food section.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 09:58:12 pm »

I'm going to have to try to refrain from reading this thread, because it is torture to be reminded that there are places where people can put tomatoes outside on March 15th.

Carry on.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:03:03 pm »

I lived in Alaska for some thirty years, god damn it. Don't be harsh. I fuck*ng love it here.

Also, given that some denizens (I love that word) of this board are considering relocation, I think we should take this opportunity to reflect upon what makes our present location so appealing to us.

Also, Papa Was a Rolling Stone. And Built To Spill is recording in Portland as we speak (type) and a friend of mine has an open invitation to go to the sessions.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:16:28 pm »

Dang, I haven't even planted lettuce yet.  It's been an exceptionally cold (and wet) March here.  Couldn't dig even if I had time to.  But soon, soon.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:15:40 pm »

It's been unseasonably hot here. I remember wandering around in May and stomping chunks of ice apart. Did I mention that I don't miss that? The crazy weather part? Did I mention that?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 12:28:44 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Also, given that some denizens (I love that word) of this board are considering relocation, I think we should take this opportunity to reflect upon what makes our present location so appealing to us.


It's always nice weather here. Rebecca's in this great Charter School. Our Church is extremely loving and giving. I can see the ocean from my house.
It feels more like home than any place I've lived, but I can't figure if it's because of the age of my kids or because I'm just tired of moving around.

Speaking of planting stuff, we planted this about a year ago:
Our Baby

Top View

It's not very big and it's been going for a long time, but we're pretty tickled it's growing at all...
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 12:45:52 am »

That's pretty rocking.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 02:37:06 am »

The Tomatos are going in this weekend.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 02:50:16 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Speaking of planting stuff, we planted this about a year ago:
Our Baby

Top View

It's not very big and it's been going for a long time, but we're pretty tickled it's growing at all...


Am I the only one that expected to see pictures of an actual baby on the other side of those links?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 04:06:38 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Speaking of planting stuff, we planted this about a year ago:
Our Baby

Top View

It's not very big and it's been going for a long time, but we're pretty tickled it's growing at all...


Am I the only one that expected to see pictures of an actual baby on the other side of those links?

Nope.

That said, it's a lovely pineapple, AD. I should see if the one my folks were working on ever came along to any degree. It, too, was tiny and cute.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 03:00:17 pm »

Hi all!

We still have a nice hard frozen layer of snow on the ground here and always do until the middle or end of April.  Last year at the end of March I started my tomatoes, melons and squash in trays, then we got a freak snow storm in May the week I was prepairing to put them out!  So I kept them inside, they got all leggy and all the melons died.  In the end when I did put them out, the squash basically took over the garden.  I still have four spaghetti squash left at this point!

Anyhoo,

Since this is the gardening corner, a little advice from those in the know would do nicely:

As some of you already know, my SO and I are having a  house built and will tenitivly move in July 1st.  The only problem with this is that I planted a really extensive amount of bulbs in fall, and have a lot of perrenials in the ground that just got established this year (it was originally our plan to stay at the house we're renting for 5 years while we saved for a house, but then there was this gov't program, etc, etc). So we'll be moving to a house in the middle of summer, that will be totally un landscaped, and that we will likely not have much $$ to landscape until next summer.  So my plan is to dig up anything we want to keep - lilies, ivy etc, and put them in buckets, keep them watered etc..  This is going to be a lot of work, then try an at least get some soil in by fall to winter everything.  Is this realistic?  Will all this effort lead to a lot of dead perrenials in buckets? Should I just leave everything behind and start fresh and to hell with the expense?  

Green thumbs, ahoy!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 06:10:07 pm »

Sideshow, you should cozy up to your neighbors next spring.  The ones with gardens anyway.  Most gardeners love to share thier bounty.  Besides they don't want your yard looking bad, it makes the whole street look bad.  When they are thinning out their beds next season they will surely give you something to get yours started with.  It might not be exactly what you want, but beggers can't be choosers and all that.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 08:01:37 pm »

I say dig stuff up till you get tired of digging and water it till you get tired of watering and you'll probably salvage at least some of it, and what do you have to lose?  For the perennials anyway - finding where you buried the bulbs sounds like too much trouble.

But you should do what Paul says also.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 08:03:11 pm »

If you're moving in the summer you should be able to transplant your perinnials.  Bulbs can be dug up and replanted in the fall, really as late as you can dig (I planted a bunch in November.)  I think you can do the same thing with lillies and iris.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Hey Paul, in re: tomatos
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 01:12:18 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I think we should take this opportunity to reflect upon what makes our present location so appealing to us.


i spent last week in Mexico.  Upon returning, to herebouts, it turns out that i'd much rather be here than there.  I am apparently getting older and more ornery to things that are not the way that they are supposed to be.

It's not so much that here is so very appealing, it's just that it's the way it's supposed to be so damned consistently, even when that way is so wrong.

the tomatoes, however, really were not good down there.  i was surprised.

my gf is in process of buying a house, so we may end up starting a garden or plants or something involving vegetation and the necessity of watering to avoid its death.  and pruning.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up