Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Junk Week!  (Read 4562 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Junk Week!
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:15:39 am »

It's junk week in Louisville, and I just ganked 2 really nice TVs off of the side of the road; one's a really nice one, not a monster screen, but it's big enough to require both arms around the bottom, and the other is also pretty nice, smaller screen. Two weeks ago, my roomates and I found another big TV on the street in New York. What have you guys found during your junk week?

The Japanese call large trash "sodai gomi!"
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Junk Week!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:47:06 pm »

OK, I'll bite. What the hell is junk week?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Junk Week!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 02:34:05 pm »

The week when your trash hauler says it's OK to put out big-ass items.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Junk Week!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:06:06 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
It's junk week in Louisville, and I just ganked 2 really nice TVs off of the side of the road; one's a really nice one, not a monster screen, but it's big enough to require both arms around the bottom, and the other is also pretty nice, smaller screen. Two weeks ago, my roomates and I found another big TV on the street in New York. What have you guys found during your junk week?


This is pretty much cooler than anything ever.  Let me know if you see any bookshelves.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Junk Week!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 05:22:15 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
It's junk week in Louisville, and I just ganked 2 really nice TVs off of the side of the road; one's a really nice one, not a monster screen, but it's big enough to require both arms around the bottom, and the other is also pretty nice, smaller screen. Two weeks ago, my roomates and I found another big TV on the street in New York. What have you guys found during your junk week?


I'm guessing you can afford to travel like that because you don't pay for your electronic equipment?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Junk Week!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 05:45:11 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The week when your trash hauler says it's OK to put out big-ass items.

Ah, when I lived in Ashburn this was never because large items are unsightly. Driveway/garage door basketball hoops were banned for the same reason. Now I live in an appt so we just have a TrashCo waste disposal unit.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Junk Week!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 06:02:29 pm »

They don't ever have this in Portland, either (AFAIK). It's too bad, because I have a microwave that didn't survive the drive from AK, and the plastic on the door is cracked. The screen that keeps the waves in is fine, though. Still, my wife made me buy a new one. I'm thinking of finding that site that discusses all the microwave experiments and setting it up in the garage. Once it's sutiably thrashed, I guess I'll have to take it to the dump myself.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Junk Week!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 06:30:17 pm »

It's first Monday of every month [in my neighborhood] just pile it out on the side of the street and Men with big trucks and machines will come and haul it off while you are away at work.  There was a problem recently when a man tore down his entire garage and put it out there for the junk [or heavy trash they call it] collectors. He had to go to court, but eventually they agreed to take it away.  I thought that was amazing.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Junk Week!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 07:22:05 pm »

My dad actually found some bookshelves; we're building a new base for them now.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Junk Week!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 07:57:14 pm »

People would complain so bad if that happened over here, great idea as it is. If you have a skip outside your house, it is illegal for anyone else to even drop anything in it!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Junk Week!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 08:32:18 pm »

We have a dump that is free to county residents.  Until last year I took all our trash to the dump every Saturday.  Finally I broke down and hired a trash company.  But if I have big stuff to get rid of I just throw it in the truck and toodle off to the dump.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Junk Week!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 09:16:38 pm »

My quasi-in-laws take all their trash to the dump. The county makes you apply for a permit ahead of time. Apparently some unscrupulous people will take their trash to other counties' dumps and let those taxpayers worry about it.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Junk Week!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 10:55:07 pm »

I haven't had much success with Big Trash Day here in Kansas, but I almost completely furnished my computer room with things off of freecycle.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
Junk Week!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 12:06:40 am »

Your country is amazing!
Here you are limited to two garbage bags a week. Anything else you have to take to the dump and pay to unload. It's quite a travesty.
Next Time I have garbage I'm crossing the border. You can deal with it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Junk Week!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 12:17:56 am »

In Canada, garbage . . . oh, screw it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up