Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!  (Read 14051 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2005, 07:56:02 pm »

Belated-ish congratulations to Carlos and family. Whatever you name the baby, may she be healthy and happy. (But "Aryan Justice" is not a good idea.)
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2005, 07:46:44 pm »

He smiles!

_______________________
Jubilation.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2005, 08:53:40 pm »

Oh crap, you people are using up all the Cute!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2005, 10:04:18 pm »

oh my, that's quite adorable now isn't it?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2005, 11:49:22 am »

Babies...millions of little babies...
Logged
I am older now.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2005, 08:07:14 pm »

Recently bought the book On Becoming Baby Wise after three recommendations from parents I know.  I still haven't finished reading it.  Funny what kids will do to the amount of time you can spend reading about kids.  Noticed a few things kind of off.  One of the authors is Gary Ezzo, M.A.  But it doesn't ever say what arts he is the master of.  Early in the book, it basically says that two parent households are essential for child development.  And then throws a lame "but single parents are doing the best they can."

I liked the promises of regularity and kids that sleep when they're sleepy and only cry when something's wrong.  Also some of the statistics presented in the book (though they weren't backed up with names of journals or anything) were very reassuring.  JL now points out that the thing is written by a pastor and is widely dismissed by pediatricians as being worthless or dangerous.

I am a fool.  No matter how much I think on how a person can't trust the trusted sources around him, I'm still taken in by stuff like this.  I don't want easy answers, but I at least want to know that when my child can't fall asleep without us holding onto him, that's perfectly normal and not going to screw anybody up more than is necessary.

Also, easy answers would be nice.

_________
Dejected.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2005, 08:14:39 pm »

Our favoritest baby-wrangling advice book was Secrets of the Baby Whisperer.  Despite the British author obnoxiously trying to write British ("Your baby is fine, luv!"), it had good stuff.  She runs down the variations on baby cries and what they often mean (if baby is hungry, it'll sound such as this...), and behold they were largely right.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2005, 04:56:50 am »

The more parenting I do, the more I realize that:

Nearly ALL the books are full of crap.

Also MOST other people are 1/2 full of crap.


If you are a normal, well adjusted person you will do fine for the most part following your instincts. Our race has survived for millions of years without trying to follow 100 disparate opinions about child rearing. Listen to yourself, we are hardwired to perpetuate our species.

In general, babies tell you what they need and want. Spend time with your child and you'll catch on quick. But that's the key - spending time concentrating on your child.

I agree that a two parent, opposite sex household is the ideal situation as long as they are in a functional relationship and sharing responsibility. That's not to say single parents or gay couples are bad parents but I believe that both gender viewpoints are important and that children model relationships after the one they see the most growing up.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2005, 05:05:20 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

If you are a normal, well adjusted person you will do fine for the most part following your instincts. Our race has survived for millions of years without trying to follow 100 disparate opinions about child rearing. Listen to yourself, we are hardwired to perpetuate our species.


I whole-heartedly agree.  This shit ain't rocket science, it's nurturing DAMMIT  !
Somehow gibbons, ocelots and chickens are able to sucessfully able to raise their offspring without a glib handbook.  If you have normal human instincts you'll be able to too.

The unfortunate thing is that so many humans with abnormal instincts have babies.  Thankfully nobody here falls into that category.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2005, 01:10:09 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
The unfortunate thing is that so many humans with abnormal instincts have babies.  Thankfully nobody here falls into that category.

Uh, we wrote 16460 messages about a comic strip. I'd hardly call that a normal instinct.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2005, 07:32:07 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Our race has survived for millions of years without trying to follow 100 disparate opinions about child rearing.


Thanks for the reassurance.  I think the main reason I feel the need for books is that I'm not living with an extended family where I'm constantly innundated with the wisdom of the ages.  I trouble with my instincts because my instincts generally involve eating tons of ice cream.  Still I love this kid so much, and I'm starting to get confident that I can provide what he needs.

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I agree that a two parent, opposite sex household is the ideal situation as long as they are in a functional relationship and sharing responsibility.


I also think it's the ideal situation, but I wouldn't want a book ostensibly about child psychology to preach that to me because it is actually based on theology.  Also, he's a bit heavy handed about it.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2005, 07:53:18 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Also, he's a bit heavy handed about it.


like reading a pamphlet on how to treat snake bites, wherein every other sentence it says "the best way would have been not to have been bitten by a snake.  you should not chase snakes with rakes.  leave the snake alone, dude."

like, thanks man, but that doesn't help me with my asp problem right now.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2005, 07:53:49 pm »

Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2005, 12:43:34 am »

That hurt my brain, Va.  That really hurt.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
MORE BABIES! BABIES EVERYWHERE!
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2005, 06:56:25 am »

Some people should not be allowed to play games OR breed.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up