Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Weight Watching 2005  (Read 10116 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 11:43:50 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
He was staring up your shorts at your tidy whities the whole time, too.

I thought it was "tighty whities"
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 12:40:23 am »

Yeah, your mother may tell you to make sure you're wearing clean underware in case you're in an accident or something, but it's "tighty whities" because they keep your boys snug.  

My whities are both tight and tidy, however.

Also, I bought new "Hanes" under##### and they have a grey waistband, which I don't like.  If I'm wearing white undies I want them to be all white.  Dammit.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 12:53:09 am »

Mine are tighty and tidy and you're right, it's tightie, I type phonetically sometimes which is really weird.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 02:06:44 am »

Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.

Stupid brains.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 02:37:28 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.

It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 04:12:03 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.

It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"


do folkers who are purposefully intense cause you troubles?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 04:21:21 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.

It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"


do folkers who are purposefully intense cause you troubles?


Nah, it's the porpoises in tents that he can't wrap his mind around. HOW DO THEY STAY WET?!?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 06:59:27 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.

It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"


Um, that is correct.  The expression is "for all intents and purposes."

Did you mean to type it wrong but then typed it right by accident?  That must be some other kind of brain-o.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 02:20:17 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
Someone on another message board once said that they did something a certain way "from the gecko" instead of "from the get-go" and I think this is the same kind of mistake.

It took me years to decipher "for all intents and purposes"

Um, that is correct.  The expression is "for all intents and purposes."

Did you mean to type it wrong but then typed it right by accident?  That must be some other kind of brain-o.

No, I meant it took me years to realize that was the expression since I'd never seen it written down. I thought it was "intensive purposes" or some such.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 05:26:20 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

No, I meant it took me years to realize that was the expression since I'd never seen it written down. I thought it was "intensive purposes" or some such.


I've seen it written like that many a time. Then again there are so many expressions I see typed in wrong on various fora, and it bugs the hell out of me, but I can't remember any of the gems off the top of my head.

It makes me think of Jocelyn in Twin Peaks who gets expressions slightly wrong all the time ("Push the plug")!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2005, 06:31:46 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I've seen it written like that many a time. Then again there are so many expressions I see typed in wrong on various fora, and it bugs the hell out of me, but I can't remember any of the gems off the top of my head.


There's a whole database of em here.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2005, 07:04:37 pm »

I'm famous!

<><><><><><><><>><><>><>

tighty-whitey » tidy-whitey, tidy-widy

Classification: English – genuine

Spotted in the wild:

    * Fruit of the Loom underwear gave nearly 100 percent of its corporate donations to tidy-whitey-wearing Republicans… (Gay and Lesbian Review, March-April 2005, p. 4)

The rhyming expression “tighty-whitey” or (plural) “tighty-whities” for ‘men’s briefs’ has been in use since at least 1990, sometimes in this order, occasionally with the elements reversed (”whitey-tighty”, “whitey-tighties”), and with several variant spellings (”tightie-whitie” and the like). Thanks to intervocalic flapping, “tighty” (with reference to tightness) was open to reinterpretation as “tidy” (with reference to neatness and cleanliness, certainly desirable qualities in underwear). See the discussion in my Language Log posting Tidy-whiteys.

The “whitey” element is open to reinterpretation for the same reasons, as “widy” (with reference to width), and at least a few speakers seem to have reanalyzed it, as Mark Liberman observed in his Language Log posting Raising and lowered those tighty whities.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2005, 09:09:08 pm »

A friend of mine used to work for a credit company and he processed complaints.  He kept track of the horrible writing and english that people used, but the only one I can remember is that someone asked for something to be taken off his credit report because "it would be a nice jester on your part."

We still laugh about this.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2005, 09:14:04 pm »

Also, I see people use "chomping at the bit" instead of "champing at the bit" all the time.  He's not biting it, people, he's pulling against it.  You know, like a hoss.

Also, people misuse "ballistic" to mean the opposite of its actual meaning.  When someone is "going ballistic" it means that they're getting tired, going to sleep, etc., not getting crazy and excitable.  The ballistic trajectory of a falling object (like a bomb or a rocket) is when it is unpowered and FALLING.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2005, 09:22:54 pm »

I hate the misuse of the word "literally."  Some people seem to think it's a form of emphasis.  I was watching a football game and after a sack the color guy said "He literally took his head off."  NO, fuck*ng moron, if he had literally taken the quarterback's head off there would be blood all over the goddamned place, and you and everyone else in the stadium would be shrieking in horror.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up