Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Weight Watching 2005  (Read 10089 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2005, 11:44:13 pm »

david cross would like $10 from you for ripping him off.

i stopped writing 'one another' for a long time because i thought it must just be a phonetic representation of 'one and other,' but i kept seeing people write it the former way so i just went back to it.  i still suspect it's incorrect, though.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2005, 12:17:30 am »

Tangentially if not on topic:

* I still have trouble remembering that 'eachother' is not a word.
* "Head over heels" was originally "heels over head," and it made more sense that way.
* Ditto with "eating your cake and having it too" which is something you cannot expect to accomplish.  "Having your cake and eating it too," is not an aspiration that should draw tsking noises from your neighbor.
* Is anybody else tired of hearing the construction "in the wake of" on the evening news.  Find a new phrase, people.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2005, 12:58:15 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

* "Head over heels" was originally "heels over head," and it made more sense that way.
* Ditto with "eating your cake and having it too" which is something you cannot expect to accomplish.  "Having your cake and eating it too," is not an aspiration that should draw tsking noises from your neighbor.


Thanks Pedro!  I always wondered about those two, especially the latter.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2005, 01:00:55 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
* Ditto with "eating your cake and having it too" which is something you cannot expect to accomplish.  "Having your cake and eating it too," is not an aspiration that should draw tsking noises from your neighbor.

This has always bugged me but when I bitch about everybody says I'm nuts.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2005, 03:57:16 pm »

And then there's "towing the line".  People have also started mixing up "sight" and "site", and "phase" and "faze".
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2005, 06:34:04 pm »

Yeah, I see people write about my "web sight" all the damn time.

I guess they were out the day they taught English in skool.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2005, 07:13:11 pm »

I'm back on WeightWatchers, but I found their points formula so I'll probably stop paying them for access to their internet tools.  I like their internet tools, but I do that stuff for a living.  I don't need to pay other people for it.  The formula was filed in one of their patents.  That's how a website I read got a hold of it.  They should have made it a trade secret instead.  Had they done so, they could sue me for telling you.

50 calories = 1 point
1g fat = 1/12 point
1g fiber = -1/5 point (but you can only count up to four grams of fiber per food)

I get 24 points a day and 35 points to spread over a week.  It's a great system.  Congrats to them.  I'll keep track of it in a text file now and stop paying them monthly.  Hurray!

Back off topic, I doggedly detest the effects of people forgetting that the verb is affect.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2005, 07:27:21 pm »

Do you have the illicit Weight Watchers Palm application?  Lets you track your food 'n' points every day.  You can enter calories 'n' fat 'n' fiber and it computes the points for you.  You can also enter workout info and it'll calculate that too.  It's rad.  Or, it would be rad if I was actually doing Weight Watchers right now instead of being a big fatass.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2005, 01:05:00 am »

Hey y'alls. Finally replaced my keyboard so's I can delurk occasionally.

I bulked up a bit over winter, but I'm down 5 pounds since the beginning of the month. Just in time to hit Florida next week! Yeehaw!

Also, I'm now searching for published screw ups to document on that site. Can't wait!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2005, 01:29:31 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
Hey y'alls. Finally replaced my keyboard so's I can delurk occasionally.

I bulked up a bit over winter, but I'm down 5 pounds since the beginning of the month. Just in time to hit Florida next week! Yeehaw!

Also, I'm now searching for published screw ups to document on that site. Can't wait!


Glad to see you Mite.  Don't be such a stranger.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2005, 06:38:05 pm »

I have a thing when I'm reading misuse of  'assure', 'ensure' and 'insure'.

They are three different words with different meanings, people.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2005, 07:32:41 pm »

It used to royally piss me off when people used hacker to mean cracker, but lately it seems that all the dictionaries and styles guides have given up and changed the definition of hacker to be what people think it is, instead of what it really was.

Clearly I'm not bothered by run-on sentences.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2005, 07:55:32 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
It used to royally piss me off when people used hacker to mean cracker


That will ALWAYS piss me off.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2005, 08:02:32 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It used to royally piss me off when people used hacker to mean cracker


That will ALWAYS piss me off.


I think I've let it go somewhat, seeing as how I am no longer young and cool, and think about it very little. Or something. Maybe I'm just too busy to be angered by it...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Weight Watching 2005
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2005, 04:08:43 pm »

I wouldn't care if the the word "hacker", in its true sense, did not apply to most of my absolutely favorite people in the world.  The mass media have spoilt a perfectly wonderful word.

As an aside, I just typed "jargon file" into my browser's address bar and this automagically came up, and I'm not even sure how.  I love the internet.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up