Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Villian in Spiderman 3  (Read 9476 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 10:31:46 pm »

Speaking of Sandman, where the hell is Gaiman's Sandman movie?

Anyway, yeah, the whole killing the villain off is weak.  I'd love to see a superhero franchise that doesn't feel the need to bring in a new villain for each film - how many damn stories have there been in comics where the hero squares off against his ARCH NEMESIS?

Also, I think Spider-Man 2 was one of the best superhero/comic book films EVER.

And I liked the X-Men movies.  Heck, I even kinda sorta liked the Daredevil movie (Elektra sucked, though).

I'm really looking forward to Sin City, though.  I think it's the first time someone has attempted to adapt a comic book SHOT FOR SHOT.  They didn't have a script or storyboards on set - everyone just got a copy of the comics.  Awesome.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 10:46:57 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

I'm really looking forward to Sin City, though.  I think it's the first time someone has attempted to adapt a comic book SHOT FOR SHOT.  They didn't have a script or storyboards on set - everyone just got a copy of the comics.  Awesome.


Shit, really? That's amazing. I'm really looking forward to that.
I also read last night an interview with the dude helming the Watchmen movie (it's here), and it seems like he's really taking it seriously.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 11:10:42 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Speaking of Sandman, where the hell is Gaiman's Sandman movie?


Hopefully tied to a rights dispute at the bottom of some ocean.  That project would be infinitely fuckupable, and I'd rather they left it alone.  HellBoy, sure.  But not Sandman.  Shit, look what they did to Constantine.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 03:41:21 am »

As I recall, there's been a fairly decent Sandman script proposed and kicking around for some time. Of course, there have also been decent Hellblazer and I, ***** movie scripts written, so that doesn't mean much.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 05:51:36 am »

Yeah, as long as they get Gaiman to write the script I think it could be really good.  Get the guy without a human name who directed "The Cell" to direct it.  That movie was pretty much Sandman without Gaiman's good writing anyway.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 06:45:51 am »

I found the Cell kind of contrived, but I don't want to badmouth it because it was also balls-out beautiful.  I kept wanting her to hook the comatose little kid (from the opening sequence) up to the serial killer so that the kid's nightmare could battle the killer's darker persona.  


This would all happen while the kid and the child-persona played four square in another room.


And of course that would be going on while Jennifer Lopez silently undressed herself while floating weightless.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 06:48:05 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, as long as they get Gaiman to write the script I think it could be really good.  Get the guy without a human name who directed "The Cell" to direct it.  That movie was pretty much Sandman without Gaiman's good writing anyway.


He had a movie at Sundance that I missed.  Mirror Mask?  Hopefully it'll get a bigger release.  I haven't heard anything about it though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Skillator

  • Guest
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 12:27:48 am »

-Good call on the Fantastic 4 thing. They were not made for film.

-Everyone involved owes the world an apology for Daredevil.

I watched Benicio Del Toro's interview on Conan O'Brien about Sin City and they showed an actual clip of the movie and it looked kinda crappy. They made the previews so mind blowing but if it's just going to be cheesy acting and silly costumes peppered with action scenes it's going to be a huge disappointment. I'll wait for a review before I see it.

I would like them to just once do a batman movie that a human being can sit through.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 12:33:33 am »

Quote from: "Skillator"
I would like them to just once do a batman movie that a human being can sit through.


I resent that with every fiber of my being!  The original Batman movie was genius!!  Anyone who says differently incurs my incalculable netwrath.  What with flames and bombs made of name-calling and the like.

And that applies to any other movies starring Adam West and Burt Ward as well!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005, 02:12:03 am »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "Skillator"
I would like them to just once do a batman movie that a human being can sit through.


I resent that with every fiber of my being!  The original Batman movie was genius!!  Anyone who says differently incurs my incalculable netwrath.  What with flames and bombs made of name-calling and the like.

And that applies to any other movies starring Adam West and Burt Ward as well!


Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 02:30:44 am »

god that was classic.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 04:23:00 am »

Quote from: "Skillator"

I watched Benicio Del Toro's interview on Conan O'Brien about Sin City and they showed an actual clip of the movie and it looked kinda crappy. They made the previews so mind blowing but if it's just going to be cheesy acting and silly costumes peppered with action scenes it's going to be a huge disappointment. I'll wait for a review before I see it.


Yeah, I think Sin City looks pretty crappy too. The visuals in the trailer leave me feeling kind of empty, like Sky Captain did. It seems like the movie is too caught up in literally translating the comic to screen panel by panel to have any life or soul of its own. It's the movie equivalent of a stuffed and mounted bear. Looks like a bear, feels like a bear, but nothing inside.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 05:01:36 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "Skillator"

I watched Benicio Del Toro's interview on Conan O'Brien about Sin City and they showed an actual clip of the movie and it looked kinda crappy. They made the previews so mind blowing but if it's just going to be cheesy acting and silly costumes peppered with action scenes it's going to be a huge disappointment. I'll wait for a review before I see it.


Yeah, I think Sin City looks pretty crappy too. The visuals in the trailer leave me feeling kind of empty, like Sky Captain did. It seems like the movie is too caught up in literally translating the comic to screen panel by panel to have any life or soul of its own. It's the movie equivalent of a stuffed and mounted bear. Looks like a bear, feels like a bear, but nothing inside.


I haven't seen the trailer or Sky Captain.  However, I do think I'm familiar with the phenomenon you're describing.  It's a disease which video game developers and blockbuster movie producers are especially prone to -- graphicsitis.  

Pretty graphics are nice, but they don't substitute for good gameplay/story.  

A for instance from the game side.  Several years ago I was given a copy of Unreal.  At the time I played Doom II every day (still do occasionally...)  I was absolutely floored by the quality of the graphics in Unreal, which were pretty darn whizzy when it came out.  I played the game through, but I didn't replay it.  I continued to play Doom II over and over and over.  Why, when Doom II obviously looked like crap compared to Unreal (or Quake, or QuakeII or any of the thousands of FPS that came after)?

Because Doom II played well.  It was more FUN.  See also Civ II, Dungeon Master, etc etc...

A movie example:  What Dreams May Come -- beautifully photographed.  Story was crap.

I'm not trying to denigrate the importance of the visual in multi-media projects.  I just think that too many folks think that good graphics forgive a multitude of sins.  And that's just not true.

Thankfully Onstad does not fall into this trap.  No one could complain about the quality of the writing in Achewood.  It's clever, subtle and sophisticated.  Nor could you say that the graphics are overly slick.  They are deceptively simple, but amenable to close analysis.

I think that's one of the most appealing things about the strip.  Onstad has found an admirable balance between the visual and the verbal.  Both are vital to the humor and neither overpowers the other.

Well, I've rambled from Doom II to overly pretentious (yet fawning) criticism of a comic strip, so it's time to end this thang.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 06:40:14 am »

Yeah, I played the crap out of Doom II.  And Quake II.  And now Half-Life 2.  

There's something about 2.

Oh, and I've played GTA: Vice City all the way through twice.  And I always leave it installed because I find driving around a Miami-esque city while listening to 80s music very relaxing.

And if I get tired of relaxing I can always start shooting pedestrians and try to take out as many cops that show up as possible.

I hope the cops are more of a challenge to kill in San Andreas.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
The Villian in Spiderman 3
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 06:56:15 am »

Quote from: "skillator"
I watched Benicio Del Toro's interview on Conan O'Brien about Sin City and they showed an actual clip of the movie and it looked kinda crappy.


Sorry, son, but Sin City is probably going to fuck*ng kick ass, or at the very least be a strikingly above-average comic book movie peppered with terrific scenes. If you were to pick a comic book to slavishly adapt - with the constant and complete input of the creator - into film, you could do one hell of a lot worse than Sin City. It's one of those comics that always pops up on that perennial favorite of the idea-bankrupt Features & Lifestyle Editor, the "Comics Aren't Just For Kids" List. There is a good reason for this; you are not a child, go and check it out.

And. They got Mickey Rourke - Hank fuck*ng Chinaski - to play Marv. Have you seen Marv? It is goddamned incredible. You're going to enjoy his character.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up