Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 Dead in Refinery Explosion  (Read 4304 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:37:18 am »

I used to never pay attention to stories like this one, but now that I work in a Chemical plant shit like this scares the hell out of me.

The plant where I work had a fire two years ago, about 1/1000th. as bad as this one (Only one guy got seriously injured, no one dead), and the plant where I work is only about 1/10th. the size of this one, but still the possibility of it blowing sky high (and taking me with it) exist.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 07:42:04 am »

Dude, you work in a chemical factory? Ouch. How is it and what quite do you do?
My uncle used to be a fireman and was in the catchment area (as it were) of ICI, which terrified him.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:13:27 pm »

Fear can be an excellent motivator, especially to remember safety procedures.

Your pal,

AW
General Counsel
State Fire Marshal's Office
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 10:16:43 pm »

Aug, is that a new job that quick?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 10:28:22 pm »

Yeah, I was wondering that too.  I know you worked for the state before so I didn't know if this was what you did all this time or if you had a NEW job... with the state of KY.

KY: The Jelly State!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:52:37 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Dude, you work in a chemical factory? Ouch. How is it and what quite do you do?


I'm a piping designer, which is bottom feeding in the drafting world, but the refineries and chemical plants pay well.  And I like it just fine, the work is easy and most of the people are pretty nice and easy to deal with.  By the nature of my job I don't have to deal with too many people which suits me just fine.  Unfortunately, the only person that I have any problems with is my immediate supervisor who is a complete and utter tool.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 11:06:13 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
the only person that I have any problems with is my immediate supervisor who is a complete and utter tool.


They all are.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 11:55:13 pm »

No, it's my old job, which I am still hanging in limbo in.

Our agency also licenses plumbers, electricians & HVAC contractors and does all the building code inspections for the state.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 12:11:42 am »

For some reason I thought  you were a Fed appointee - you're actually a State appointee? I was hoping that, like me, you wind up with a hiring preference.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 09:50:02 pm »

That was a BP refinery, and it pretty much blows part of the way up on a regular basis. I've been getting emails about it for two days straight.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 04:51:54 pm »

Why i'm so concerned about refinery explosions.

Actually I no longer work in this building, but i'm no less remote from the process than before.  You can't see it in this picture, but just behind the reactors are 7 20k gallon propylene storage tanks.  

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 07:22:00 pm »

If it's any consolation I will probably be suffering terrible respiratory illness in 5 years due to scary printing substances.
OK, maybe not so much...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 08:20:25 pm »

I will be developing rat allergies any day now. That or superpowers, I think.

Anyway, best of luck to Paul in avoiding explosions. At least you're not directly on the line...
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
14 Dead in Refinery Explosion
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 01:20:23 pm »

geeze lousie dude, now would apparently not be a good time to take up smoking as a recreational hobby.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1]   Go Up