Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 3/24/05: Pistachios!  (Read 4946 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« on: March 24, 2005, 08:29:19 am »

More than a little weird. Phillipe's mom seems to have taken the jingle pretty seriously. She has a serious connection with her son.
Logged
I am older now.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 08:53:20 am »

Yes, strange.  Philippe's mom is weird.  But how priceless is the 8th panel:  "See warranty for details.  Not intended for children over nine."  He knows the whole commercial by heart!  And the third and second to last panels:  first he tries to either 1) squeeze them out or 2) pull the cheeks apart to take them out--can't decide which is depicted.  And then, look at the little guy dig!  He is really intent on getting the treat.  Tongue all sticking out,  and check the eyebrows!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:29:47 am »

I feel sick.
Thats....that's all I can...oh god!
That's horrendous.
Why am I laughing!!!
Argh!
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 09:57:47 am »

God. There are tears in my eyes.
Also, why is it not intended for children OVER nine?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 12:41:44 pm »

Because anybody over nine is too mature to appreciate a prosthetic butt.

Except us, of course.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

ndpatel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sixtyeights.com
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 01:00:05 pm »

this cartoon is what people with new babies who haven't slept in several days would make.

you know it's true.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 01:55:11 pm »

I was waiting for him to drop down onto his butt and spring right back up into the air with a nice "boing" effect.

I also hope those pistachios weren't the kind that are dyed red because that would be even creepier.
Logged

revdj

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 102
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dougshaw.com
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 02:41:35 pm »

I remember what it was like to be jumping-up-and-down happy!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 02:50:59 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
And the third to last panels:  first he tries to either 1) squeeze them out or 2) pull the cheeks apart to take them out--can't decide which is depicted.

I think he's searching for [and discovering] the pistachios in the only possible hiding spot.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 02:53:59 pm »

I'm seriously unnerved by how this strip is simultaneously one of the cutest and one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

That just ain't right.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:04:03 pm »

HUH?!

Onstad get some sleep, man.  For the love of Philippe!

This didn't do much for me, but I think it serves as an example of O's idea of good parenting. He, too, will be bestowing prostheticsO'love onto his own little otter some day.




I didn't laugh at achewood... I think I might be sick.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 04:43:20 pm »

i thought the 'Yes!' was the best part, but no way to format that into an acceptable title, so oh well.

i guess i just don't get the prosthetic butt thing.
Logged

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 04:46:25 pm »

But his paw is RIGHT INSIDE IT!
Argh!
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 05:07:17 pm »

Only Onstad has the skill to make pawing around a butt cute.

Also, what happened to Pat?

Another thought: What happens when you wear the butt with Timmy (or was it Tommy) Tummy?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
3/24/05: Pistachios!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 05:37:20 pm »

I guess I don't understand the appeal of the "Walk-Around Butt" but whatever.  In my mind I will assume it is made of plastic and not of actual butt tissue, which would make it stinkier and far less cute.

I did like how Philippe knew even the mumbled small print of the commercial.  And I guess real children's toys are just as stupid as this.  Perhaps the Onstads were recipients of some equally ridiculous toys and they inspired this comic.

However, seeing how happy it made little Philippe makes me think that Onstad will be a good dad.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up