Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art School, Be Not Proud  (Read 3591 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« on: March 30, 2005, 03:07:09 am »

For one of my classes, I had to take a wireless antenna I made out of a Pringles can and disguise it as some other object. I think I solves the problem quite well.
View 1
View 2
View 3
Detail 1
Detail 2

It can't work as both the wireless antenna and the other object at the same time, but with one small modification it can go from one to the other.

I am not proud.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:33:01 am »

SMART MOMS KNOW HOW KIDS' MINDS GROW

-- Thanks, Mom! --

SWEET PICKLES
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:23:01 pm »

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that it took me several minutes to figure out what it was?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 05:46:30 pm »

I'm still not sure what it is, but the why is more important to me.

Did you create a functional wireless antenna from a pringles can? For what?
Why does it need to be camouflaged? And why would the thing you are camouflaging it as need to be functional as well?

This seems more like an engineering design project than an art project to me.

Why am I so fuck*ng critical and skeptical today?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 05:47:54 pm »

PS nothing personal Bozack, give your statement of the problem you do solve it quite well. I don't quite see where there is a problem, I guess.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 06:01:43 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
PS nothing personal Bozack, give your statement of the problem you do solve it quite well. I don't quite see where there is a problem, I guess.


Aside from the questions you asked, I had a couple more.  I had assumed it was a bong.  Correct?  And, usually, in class settings, the bong needs to be disguised as something else, like, well, an antenna...I guess?  In high school ceramics the teacher wouldn't really bust kids for making pipes, but he'd bust the pipes.  So kids would try to disguise it as something, but rarely got away with it.  Pretty much if there was an air passage through the object and it could fit in your mouth, with a bowl-like thing for the weed, it got smashed.

The other thought I had was that you had made the antenna as an art project and for another art project you wanted to simply diguise it, to avoid the work of creating a whole new object.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 07:32:11 pm »

Bozack I'm not, but here's my guess.  There was a big... thing online a while back where a dude figured out how to make a quality wireless antenna out of a Pringles can, and used it to drive around neighborhoods and find people's unprotected wireless networks.  Well and good, but now if someone sees you sitting outside their house with a Pringles can aimed at them, they know you're trying to leech off their wireless network.  So you gotta disguise it.

"Is that guy parked outside stealing my bandwidth?... No, he's doing bong hits.  No worries."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 08:21:52 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I'm still not sure what it is, but the why is more important to me.

Did you create a functional wireless antenna from a pringles can? For what?
Why does it need to be camouflaged? And why would the thing you are camouflaging it as need to be functional as well?

This seems more like an engineering design project than an art project to me.

Why am I so fuck*ng critical and skeptical today?

I'm guessing it's because a regular wireless router from Linksys isn't all that attractive. And unlike, say a cable modem, it generally has to sit out where people can see it or the reception will be poor. Thus if one could make a wireless antenna that looked like a ship in a bottle or a desk calendar then it could be highly visible and not ugly. And lets face it, part of the point of wireless is less ugliness.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 09:43:32 pm »

Well, it's not really an art project because I'm in Design and Technology, and we get all uncomfortable when people start saying "art." The idea was, basically, how can you disguise your antenna so that you couldn't get busted for leeching bandwidth, basically. It didn't need to be functional as the other object, but I thought it would be fun if I could make a wireless antenna that converts to a bong in 3 easy steps.
The entire thing was sort of a joke; I was looking at the Pringles can with this little nub sticking out, and I thought, wow, that looks like a bong. Then, I decided that it would be fun to create an antenna that was technically disguised, but disguised as something that would probably get you in more trouble than just having an antenna sitting out. It's like getting a fake ID with the name "Charles Manson" on it.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 01:19:47 am »

Now that you state it's not Art, I can better get my head around it. And I truly admire your sense of irony.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 12:21:46 am »

That's pretty cool, dude. I expect to see it on Boing Boing within the hour.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Art School, Be Not Proud
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 04:24:59 am »

Ha, I wish. Here, I'll post it to my class weblog and then y'all can send them the link. SCRATCH MY INTERNET BACK, I'LL SCRATCH YOURS.

EDIT- Here's my class weblog. You can read all about a Freshman 3-D Digital Design Class! It's seriously heartbreaking.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up