Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs  (Read 11142 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« on: August 18, 2003, 08:40:44 pm »

http://songfight.com

I like the Mosswoodians the best so far.  And Brody.  And Bob Genghis Kahn.  A Kid Named Ace was pretty good, too.

But some of these are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, man.  Yowza.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 08:47:59 pm »

Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band

Most Achewood-conversant: Bob Genghis Khan

Best overlap between songwriting ability and actually having heard of Achewood: Brody

Song most likely to make me plunge knitting needles into my ears: almost everything else on the list.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 09:40:13 pm »

Oh yea, I kinda know of Brody. 'Cause I found this band called Brodie (after the Kevin Smith character) and met them a while back cos they played over here. But was always meaning to see what Brody were about, guess now they've proven themselves venerable what with Achewood knowledge I shoulda hald out for them!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 10:27:28 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band

Most Achewood-conversant: Bob Genghis Khan

Best overlap between songwriting ability and actually having heard of Achewood: Brody

Song most likely to make me plunge knitting needles into my ears: almost everything else on the list.


I agree on all counts, so far.  Haven't made it through them all yet.  I think Genghis Khan is so far the best, but that British accent is horrible, whether it's real or not.  

This was my first experience with Songfight.  Is it a place where bands/singers try to "break out" and get their name out there, or is ot more of a "fun" place, where people just put up songs about things like their favorite comic strip.  Either way, it confirms something I learned several years ago working at a radio station, where we had to judge a local band competition:  there are a lot of really terrible, awful, musicians out there.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:34:37 pm »

Quote from: "MSC"

I agree on all counts, so far.  Haven't made it through them all yet.  I think Genghis Khan is so far the best, but that British accent is horrible, whether it's real or not.  

This was my first experience with Songfight.  Is it a place where bands/singers try to "break out" and get their name out there, or is ot more of a "fun" place, where people just put up songs about things like their favorite comic strip.  Either way, it confirms something I learned several years ago working at a radio station, where we had to judge a local band competition:  there are a lot of really terrible, awful, musicians out there.

It seems to be a bit of a combination of both, but it's generally amiable and fairly friendly. It seems to be focused on its own community, really, with the accompanying community spirit. It encourages dabbling and experimental weirdness, but I know there are quite a few artists who are semi-serious about this (the John Benjamin Band, Frankie Big Face, Octothorpe, and so on).

I haven't listened to Songfights in a while, on account of being on a crappy dialup, but this intrigues me. I'm a big Octothorpe fan (maybe the only big Octothorpe fan), so I'm curious to see what they contributed and/or its Achewoodiness.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 11:03:07 pm »

Moved to "Achewood in the Media."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 11:39:17 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm a big Octothorpe fan (maybe the only big Octothorpe fan), so I'm curious to see what they contributed and/or its Achewoodiness.


  The Octothorpe song is exactly the same as the Brody song, but replaces the pensive Neil Young vibe of the latter with a kind of Muppet calypso feel.  

  In other words, it's really quite bad.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 10:35:19 am »

Aw, I rather liked the Starboard Valve song - on a non-achewood note though considering.  I just like the random words I think

Of course, yes, I agree, achewood related-wise, Bob Genghis Khan is the best.  that one is good enough for a mix cd! :D

Anyway, seeing as I'm on dial-up, I was only able to download 18 of them so far; I'll get to the rest tomorrow - I voted for Starboard Valve nonetheless ..hm.  it could also have something to do with my name - subconscious liking! ;)
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 02:04:00 pm »

OK, stupid question time:  Did the phrase "What we need more of is science" actually appear in a strip?  If so, when?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 02:44:37 pm »

No, it didn't.

It was just on the t-shirt.

Although, of course, I think we can all agree that Roast Beef would hold that statement near and dear to his li'l' kitty heart.

JBB

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://johnorama.com
The JBB "More Science" song.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 06:34:26 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band


I thank you sir, for your kind words. I would like to say that the song *is* indeed inspired by Achewood, being written from the good cat Roast Beef's point of view.

The lines about having a rocket to reach the moon, having a t-3 inside of oneself, trying not to hear what the ***** said, and not quitting 'til I'm ten times dead-- all are directly inspired, though not absolutely detail-correct, from Achewood events.

The rest of the lyrics are a general idea of what it might be like to be Roast Beef the cat, a comic, tragic figure memorably evoked through Chris Onstad's little Internet drawings.

I chose not to directly cite Achewood because, well, I figured everybody else was gonna do that.

Thanks again for liking the song.

JB
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 06:54:48 pm »

JBB, yours is my favorite, too.  Great lyrics.  I like the whole Got enough science... sequence very much.

Thanks for making it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
song fight
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 09:09:10 pm »

I like the songs about Achewood. Those just looking for a platform to disseminate their own spunk are uninteresting.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Songfight - 28 Semi-Achewood-Related Songs
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 09:23:50 pm »

Yo JBB,

I totally cracked up when I heard the T3 inside of me line - very much in the spirit of Achewood and Roast Beef, although more accurate would have been "802.11b" which still would have rhymed (it's a wireless connection - eight oh two eleven bee).

Good stuff, though.  I haven't voted yet, so feel free to ply me with booze.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The JBB "More Science" song.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 10:08:54 pm »

Quote from: "JBB"
Quote from: "Limmo"
Best song that didn't have anything to do with Achewood : John Benjamin Band


I thank you sir, for your kind words. I would like to say that the song *is* indeed inspired by Achewood, being written from the good cat Roast Beef's point of view.

The lines about having a rocket to reach the moon, having a t-3 inside of oneself, trying not to hear what the ***** said, and not quitting 'til I'm ten times dead-- all are directly inspired, though not absolutely detail-correct, from Achewood events.

The rest of the lyrics are a general idea of what it might be like to be Roast Beef the cat, a comic, tragic figure memorably evoked through Chris Onstad's little Internet drawings.

I chose not to directly cite Achewood because, well, I figured everybody else was gonna do that.

Thanks again for liking the song.

JB


    Whoopsy doodle.  I didn't listen carefully enough to the lyrics.  Sorry.  

    Songwriting-wise, your song was definitely the best of the bunch.  Look forward to hearing more of you in the future.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up