Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: You are Dick Grasso's bitch.  (Read 5018 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« on: March 30, 2005, 08:18:25 pm »

According to NPR's "On Point" last night, 10% of public companies' profits go to the top five executives in each company.  TEN PERCENT.  That's ungodly.  If they were worth it I'd understand, but the show was about how these executives get this money whether they produce measurable results or not basically because they're on the board or are chummy with the board so boardmembers don't mind handing out stockholder money.

Do you people consider this ridiculous?  That 10% of the profits to be had in this country go to five guys per company?  I just found a locally owned oil change place.  I'm never going to Jiffy Lube again.  I want my dime to stay in Raleigh.  Do you find it difficult to give your patronage to local companies?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 08:37:22 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I'm never going to Jiffy Lube again.  I want my dime to stay in Raleigh.  Do you find it difficult to give your patronage to local companies?

In some cases. If I know I want a CD I'll buy it from Amazon or Best Buy because it's cheaper but if I need to listen to it then I go to a mom & pop (Revolution Records on Connecticut). But for my car locals all the way. Simply because the garage I go to has no mininum labor charge. Last time I took my car in the bill came to $14 because there was only like 9 minutes labor.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:23:13 pm »

I tend to buy most things at local shops because I also tend to know the owners of said shops.

Electronics, some computer equipment (i.e. this laptop) and DVDs I'll buy online or at the mega stores if they're cheaper.  The local CD/DVD store has decent prices but lousy selection, so I'll usually pick up the bigger titles there, but lately I've only been buying the essentials and Netflixing everything else, so it's hard to find a Mom&Pop around here that will carry something like the new "Laura" disc for cheap.

Having said that, I still do most food shopping at the big mega mart called "Giant" (which itself is a fairly small east coast chain anyway) and will pick up deli stuff and meat at local shops.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 11:50:39 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Having said that, I still do most food shopping at the big mega mart called "Giant" (which itself is a fairly small east coast chain anyway) and will pick up deli stuff and meat at local shops.

No longer true. Giant used to be owned by a Maryland family but a couple years ago they sold it to a Dutch coporation. That's when the self checkout lanes and Toys R Us section suddenly appeared in all the stores.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 01:16:55 am »

I think indignation is called for but resistance is futile and token at best.

I know a man named madman dan who drives a black VW Van with anarchist stickers all over it and he fixes my truck in my driveway and I pay him cash.
 
He's always cheaper, more thorough, and never fucks around with me or my truck. I never have to take it to a shop and leave it there. It's awesome.

For most everything else you consume, sorry to say, unless you grew it yourself or obtained the raw materials yourself and built it yourself, you are somebody's bitch.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 02:54:08 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
Having said that, I still do most food shopping at the big mega mart called "Giant" (which itself is a fairly small east coast chain anyway) and will pick up deli stuff and meat at local shops.

No longer true. Giant used to be owned by a Maryland family but a couple years ago they sold it to a Dutch coporation. That's when the self checkout lanes and Toys R Us section suddenly appeared in all the stores.


Jough might be shopping at a different Giant - I have the idea that there's a different chain in New Jersey with the same name.  Is such a thing possible?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 03:22:45 am »

Yeah, we're http://giantpa.com

Different Giant.  I was confused by that too.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 03:54:49 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
According to NPR's "On Point" last night, 10% of public companies' profits go to the top five executives in each company.  TEN PERCENT.  That's ungodly.  If they were worth it I'd understand, but the show was about how these executives get this money whether they produce measurable results or not basically because they're on the board or are chummy with the board so boardmembers don't mind handing out stockholder money.

Do you people consider this ridiculous?  That 10% of the profits to be had in this country go to five guys per company?  I just found a locally owned oil change place.  I'm never going to Jiffy Lube again.  I want my dime to stay in Raleigh.  Do you find it difficult to give your patronage to local companies?


i think it's ridiculous too, when applied to large corporations.

but, take a small business, such as mine.  2 people on payroll, 2 additional partners/owners....

in a small situation, it does nto seem unreasonable that 10% of the profits would go to management.  in a large situation, wherein the profits are in the millions/tens of millions/ hundreds, etc., it does seem unreasonable.

and from the owners/shareholders point of view, it would seem unreasonable as well.

however, what if the members of those 5 are shareholders.

take, for instance, microsoft.  if Mr Gates owns 35% of the stock, and has MS pay him 4% of the profits that MS makes, is he screwing over the shareholders?  are the board of directors?

but, i agree with you about keeping money in the community.

however,

here locally, we have business owners, land owners, etc, who make up "local" business, who don't end up keeping the bulk of their money in the local economy anyways.

it's very difficult to "keep money local", but, it is something i attempt to do, no matter how badly i may be at it.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 06:12:13 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I think indignation is called for but resistance is futile and token at best.
...
For most everything else you consume, sorry to say, unless you grew it yourself or obtained the raw materials yourself and built it yourself, you are somebody's bitch.


I agree that a boycott would be silly.  This is really two issues.  

1) I think executive compensation (at the companies I own stock in through mutual funds) is way out of hand due to dirty dealings and requires government oversight.  

2) I would like my money to benefit myself and those around me moreso than people far away from me.  Especially ridiculously rich and shady people.  

This isn't really a form of protest.  It's more of me looking at each little dollar I've earned and saying "You will stay in this town and continue circulating in the economy that supports my family."  It's a miniscule difference, but perhaps it is enough for me.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 06:19:48 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
i think it's ridiculous too, when applied to large corporations.

but, take a small business, such as mine.  2 people on payroll, 2 additional partners/owners....


I agree.  I'm talking specifically about public companies exchanged on the standard markets.  I don't think over-the-counter stocks and private companies were considered in generating this statistic.

Quote from: "arkabee"

take, for instance, microsoft.  if Mr Gates owns 35% of the stock, and has MS pay him 4% of the profits that MS makes, is he screwing over the shareholders?  are the board of directors?


I think that if you own stock in Microsoft, you should get an equal share of the profits.  I find distastful a system whereby stockholder/employees can set their own salaries or coerce those who set them.  Mr. Gates making 4% may be a bit of a different situation.  He may be worth that much because he's the only one who has ever done his job (CEO or CTO, he's doing pretty much the same thing), he has been incredibly successful at it, and he is such a public figure that if he were to retire/resign, the stock price would drop immediately and be shaky for a long time thereafter.  The company would have to prove itself without him.  That might be worth 4% to other shareholders, but I don't think he should be allowed to decide.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 06:51:29 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"


I agree that a boycott would be silly.  This is really two issues.  

1) I think executive compensation (at the companies I own stock in through mutual funds) is way out of hand due to dirty dealings and requires government oversight.  

2) I would like my money to benefit myself and those around me moreso than people far away from me.  Especially ridiculously rich and shady people.  

This isn't really a form of protest.  It's more of me looking at each little dollar I've earned and saying "You will stay in this town and continue circulating in the economy that supports my family."  It's a miniscule difference, but perhaps it is enough for me.


Government regulation is a step toward socialism that we can't take. Besides, congress is full of rich businessmen and corporate lawyers. I don't think it could happen.

Buying locally benefits your local economy and that's admirable. An even better step would be to get people to not shop at giant retailers and bigbox stores. It's more expensive to avoid them and shop smaller places but it's really the only way to preserve the smaller businesses. The big stores compete on volume and basically dictating cost to suppliers, which I think is heinous because, to me, the market should be balanced between supply and consumption. When one starts calling nearly all the shots, it's bad for the economy as a whole.

The real problem is once you start following the money you wind up with a huge number of businesses and companies owned by gigantic corporations...sort of like the banks. You think you have a choice but there are only a few holding companies. So you're really paying those few bigtime execs and the same goes in the food industry (Beatrice) and the entertainment industry (Fox, Vivendi, etc.)

It's pretty tough to boycott virtually everything you need, especially things you need at work. It's harder even to boycott things you want.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 07:53:34 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I know a man named madman dan who drives a black VW Van with anarchist stickers all over it and he fixes my truck in my driveway and I pay him cash.


gawDAMMIT that is so fuck*ng cool.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 08:40:41 pm »

He is also an animal rights activist. He is pretty effin' cool.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 11:17:10 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Government regulation is a step toward socialism that we can't take.


I'm sorry, I forgot.  In capitalism, it's called oversight.  We need more of that.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
You are Dick Grasso's bitch.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 11:39:31 pm »

It's not oversight when you regulate how much money a person can make. That is control. Far different than oversight. There is a lot of oversight already in accounting and tax rules, and accountability rules to shareholders. And regulating trade and the stock market to ensure it's fair.

You want to make a difference? Rile up the shareholders - publicly held companies are a little like democracies that way.  The majority shareholders are usually really rich too, though, if not board members. So what's the point? There isn't one.

Consume or don't consume, but change is not going to be swift as long as the rich guys run the government as well.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up