Also, the "no dogs" thing is more clearly enunciated here. Is there any particular reason why dogs appear to be the only non-sentient wee fuzzy animals? One wonders.
It's obvious that the animals are trying to keep their culture - nay, their sentience - hidden, and yet they appear to live (in an earlier map) in houses that belong to them.
Wait a minute--it seems that the idea of consciousness in non-human animals has been denied here. Do both of you really believe that non-human animals aren't sentient beings? You're in good company, I guess, with Descartes, but it seems that most people today accept the idea of sentience in at least some animals (cats, dogs and other mammals, at least).
Unless you were just referring to the alive stuffed animals, who indeed have tried to hide their sentience from early on.
This is what happens when you are reading the message board and a paper on environmental ethics at the same time. I apologize.
Well, uh... that really depends what you mean by "sentience." I was referring to it in terms of "human-like": i.e., capable of speech, wearing clothes, bipedalism, eating a hamburger properly, etc. I mean, even the rabbits have a public health system, but Achewood dogs don't appear capable of that. (Although, admittedly, Scrambles could talk...)
I don't want to get into a semantics war, but you appear to be using "sentience" in the way that most ethologists would use "consciousness" and other similar terms. There are certainly claims that animals (from pigs to octopi) are conscious, but it's hard to prove experimentally... but sentient is another question entirely. Anyway. Enough of this.