Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet radio?  (Read 2801 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« on: April 07, 2005, 02:27:19 pm »

I need to find music to listen to without commericials that doesn't involve me standing sadly in front of my CD collection and not knowing what to do.

We've got a computer hooked up to the stereo that my husband uses to play classical internet radio stations, so I am thinking I could find some non classical stations.  But I am so out of touch I don't know where to begin.  

You're going to ask me what kind of music I like, but I don't know anymore.  Some of you may recall an earlier thread in which I confessed to being able to listen to nothing but Bruce Springsteen, so that's approximately where I'm coming from.  I am old, so I don't like loud stuff.  But I DON'T want to listen to old music (I've got the CD collection for that), I want to hear good new stuff.  I like, um, songs.  With, like, good lyrics?   I know you are all incredibly cool people who are always talking about bands I've never heard of.  Can you help?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 02:34:47 pm »

Back in the day, I'd have recommended GoGaGa, but they've been down for years now.

My personal recommendation would be to listen to KEXP out of seattle http://www.kexp.org.  They stream their broadcast, and since they are a public radio station, there are no commercials.  They have a pretty eclectic playlist, focusing mostly on newer indie-type stuff, but they'll play nearly anything.  The only downside is that it's a public radio station, so they guilt you with pledge drives 3 times a year....
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 04:22:15 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
My personal recommendation would be to listen to KEXP out of seattle http://www.kexp.org.  They stream their broadcast, and since they are a public radio station, there are no commercials.  They have a pretty eclectic playlist, focusing mostly on newer indie-type stuff, but they'll play nearly anything.  The only downside is that it's a public radio station, so they guilt you with pledge drives 3 times a year....

Replace KEXP with WNRN and 3 with 2.

And there's always www.last.fm which is higher quality (in terms of bitrate) than most free streams.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 04:24:11 pm »

I always enjoyed live365.  You do have to suffer through a single commercial when you change stations, but this shouldn't be a problem for most people ( it was for me; I paid them $5 a month to make it go away).

www.live365.com
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Internet radio?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 04:42:05 pm »

I'll second Live 365, and add WPRB in Princeton.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Internet radio?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 05:11:58 pm »

I tend to listen to my MP3 collection, which now stands 29,000 song strong, on shuffle.  I keep adding new albums (new for me, anyway) to the mix to keep things fresh.  

What I've been doing lately is listening to a lot of albums from one-hit-wonder bands from the 70s and 80s that I liked - it's neat for these old albums to be "new" for me because I'd never heard the entire album before.  Then I'll listen to other albums by the bands that I like and so on.

For instance, I liked Roxy Music's "More Than This" so I got a copy of Avalon, then I liked that, so I got For Your Pleasure and their self-titled.

I really liked Men At Work's "Overkill" - so I downloaded the entire Cargo album.

That sort of thing.

So if you like Springsteen, I'd try Boz Scaggs, Warren Zevon, The Stray Cats (and even the Brian Setzer Orchestra), Foghat, Deep Purple, Hootie and the Blowgiraffe, Better than Ezra, the Counting Crows first three albums, etc.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Internet radio?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 07:48:32 pm »

I really like Radio Paradise, even if they do have a tendency to play a bit more Jethro Tull than they should.  Their playlist can be found here.  Within the last hour or two they've played The Arcade Fire, Wilco, old U2, Nick Drake, Blind Melon, Bjork, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Radiohead.  They play a pretty good mix of good and old, and it's certainly not too loud.

(Any Tull is too much Tull, though.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 08:03:53 pm »

I knew you guys would come through for me on this. So far sjlimmer's suggestion is less annoying on the whole than any music station around here that I've been subjected to, which is the first requirement.  Radio Paradise was just playing Joni Mitchell, but I will try to give forgive them for it and try again later...  

I am looking forward to working through the possibilities. You are all so rad, seriously.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 08:26:09 pm »

Coming straight on up from Louisville, there's WFPK, which I used to listen to lovingly, especially because they have some really awesome roots music programming. They tend to play a shitload of My Morning Jacket, but...meh. I'm fine with that.

Oddly enough, I might actually start DJing a radio show on a friends pirate transmitter. Pump up the volume INDEED.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 02:06:25 am »

WFPK is awfully good (although I'm more of an FPL kind of guy), but I've had problems with their stream in the past.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Internet radio?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 05:16:42 pm »

Quote from: "jough"


I really liked Men At Work's "Overkill" - so I downloaded the entire Cargo album.



See if you can't find a copy of Lazlo Bane's cover of "Overkill" featuring Colin Hay on guest vocals.  Hell of sweet.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Internet radio?
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 07:13:02 pm »

Yeah, I have that, and also Colin Hay's especially sweet acoustic version he recorded for "Scrubs."

I'm nine kinds of in the loop, man.
Pages: [1]   Go Up