Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]  (Read 4270 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« on: April 10, 2005, 04:00:21 pm »

You've all seen 'em, no church is complete without a messageboard sign.  And they invariably contain a trite pun to such as "Seven Days Without God Makes One Weak."  Last night I came across this sign which reads "NEVER PLACE A PERIOD WHERE GOD HAS PLACED A COMMA,

which on the surface seems to follow the recognized convention of being trite, treacly, and punny.  I was impressed however by this sign because I think it has a deeper meaning, but i'm not sure.  Do you think they are making a commentary on the Teri Schivo case?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 04:13:53 pm »

I... think it may just be intended as a joke? Possibly. Maybe.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 04:21:14 pm »

Edit:  Ok, I did a little research. Only now as I am posting this picture do I notice there is a url for the church's website.  I go there and find this picture...

So apparently this phrase is like the motto of the Church and not a particular comment on Teri Schivo.  Interestingly they credit Gracie Allen with the quote.  So I looked deeper again and found This page of quotes.  Most of those quotes sound like fortune cookie wisdom and our quote in question would fit right in, however it doesn't appear.

I forgot where I was going with this.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 04:26:22 pm »

I'm not even sure what this would theoretically have to do with Terri Schaivo. I believe that you may be, er, stretching it a smidge.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 04:39:10 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm not even sure what this would theoretically have to do with Terri Schaivo. I believe that you may be, er, stretching it a smidge.

when first I saw this sign driving past at 35 mph I read comma as coma.  Given the typical nature of these signs it would not have been out of the question to think that they intended it to have a double meaning.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 05:00:14 pm »

i thought you meant the vegetative state was a sort of comma, since schiavo was certainly on pause but not ended yet, and that therefore her life should not be 'ended' by a period.  that seemed far too clever for a church billboard, though, and sure enough...
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 05:33:41 pm »

Yeah, I just read it as a slightly different wording of the whole closes-door/opens-window saying.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 06:05:37 pm »

I couldn't help but think it some bizarre thing to do with menstruation and sinfulness or something. Maybe I assume the church too zealous on occasion.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 10:40:29 pm »

Actually, it's common knowledge that Pope Leo X banned menstruation in 1517. It's grounds for excommunication.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 11:14:53 pm »

According the news, Terry Shiavo was still having her period while in a coma.  So according to Paul's driving and reading God does place periods within comas. So go figure.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 12:02:55 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
According the news, Terry Shiavo was still having her period while in a coma.

Isn't our media just the greatest?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 12:59:09 am »

I remember now where I was going.  This Gracie Allen quote sounds suspiciously like the kind of fake quote that frequently get attributed to someone who never said anything of the sort and then circulated around the internet.  George Carlin frequently gets credit for shit he never said.  Is this Church in my neighborhood using as it's motto or slogan a fake quote?

It's bizarre enough that they would quote someone whose entire persona is that of a ditzy idiot.  Apparently, according to this church, that's where we should look for spiritual advice.  But did she even say it?  It doesn't sound like her.

Weird.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 01:36:07 pm »

i thought that rang a bell, and via Le Internett`e, oilla:

a little bit about the UC of C:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_ucca.htm

in more recent news, they aren't able to air their TV ad wherein they
attempt to give money to TV stations in order to tell potential
congregation members that they won't turn anyone away from
their doors:
http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/01/news/fortune500/jesus_ad_ban/

on a side note:
i'm not a christian (amongst other things), because i lack faith.

that being said, as ghandi was asked "what do you think about Christianity" and he replied "I think it would be a good idea", i'd have to agree.  It's pretty difficult for even a sarcastic, negative, asshole like me to say "Ya, Jesus was so full of shit when he was all trying to get everyone to be nice to each other and all."  you just have to ascend to a whole new level of dickheadness to actively diss Jesus.  anyways.

it really pisses me off, though, that there are such a few and small number of self-proclaimed Christians that really don't seem to be such, and make the rest look bad to people like me.

i usually get intrinsically irritated at those church signs, because i'm not reading that message, i'm thinking about all those few amount of people.

that being said, I don't think the UC of C message is a subliminal meme bent on undermeaning my world.  they seem like pretty good folk.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 06:02:08 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"
that being said, as ghandi was asked "what do you think about Christianity" and he replied "I think it would be a good idea", i'd have to agree.


I had always heard the quote as "What do you think about Western Civilization?"

Sounds like a Jeopardy question.  


Here's another one: "The trivia show Jeopardy always makes you think of this."  "What is August West kicking ass?"
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Church Signs [redefining scripture as a series of bad puns]
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 06:07:07 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"


Here's another one: "The trivia show Jeopardy always makes you think of this."  "What is August West kicking ass?"

The judges would also accept "What is THE FERMULE?"

(Wait, should this go in the Achewood-lingus thread?)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up