Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 4/11/05 - a Boring Place  (Read 12835 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

foolio

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 53
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« on: April 11, 2005, 07:55:32 am »

Kazenzakis returns hell of results. What is Beef talking about?
Logged

foolio

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 53
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 07:56:28 am »

Is the thrill of putting up the first post the same as the thrill of deflowering a  virgin? I have never done the latter.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 08:06:23 am »

Quote from: "foolio"
Is the thrill of putting up the first post the same as the thrill of deflowering a  virgin?


I hope not.

I love the evolution of Beef's facial expressions.  Confusion, despair, sadness, then in the eighth panel what may be actual boredom, then into anger over the next panels.  He is not only frustrated because he is bored, he is fuck*ng pissed.

I have experienced this with an ex-girlfriend.  At a paper/stamp shop.  And she was offended that I wanted to wait in the car.  Bitch.

Also, Dennis Rodman and Carly Simon?  EWWW!

Bob Dylan's illegal ranch on Neptune?  Cool!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 08:36:35 am »

And so it was that cellardoor took unto himself the phrase "And I am in the bead shop" as his boring mantra.
Whenever he is in a boring place that is all he will think.
So this is observational comedy? Normally too trite to be funny but as it's Roast Beef it becomes hilarious.
It's funny 'cause it's true?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 01:06:04 pm »

Oh man I have so been to the bead shop.  Way too many times.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 01:40:14 pm »

it's not the beads, per se, it's the SHEER AND UTTER OBLIVIOUSNESS that the companion displays to the fact that you are bored to the point of attempting to shoot your eyeball out of its socket and someone through sheer mental stick-to-it-tive-ness.

the worst part is i know that if she suddenly DID ask, what's wrong?, all i'd be able to do is stammer out "i wanna look at my stuff!!" such as a petulant 5 year old would.

and i wouldn't get a cookie then.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 02:19:45 pm »

Sometimes I feel like I live in the bead shop, right behind the gold-flecked specialty double-sized beads that all the grandmas are into nowadays.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 02:21:46 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Oh man I have so been to the bead shop.  Way too many times.


As have I.  As have I.

Actually, the last time I was in a beadshop I spent a least an hour in there with my SO's 10 yr old sister.  She was all loading up on beads, and the beads were totally expensive, so I was all reminding her:  "Okay, um, those beads are $4.95 each, do you really need four of them?"  Then we get to the counter and the hippy guy adds up everything on her tiny little tray and it's over $50.  My SO's little sister looks at me all scared and doesn't have the words to explain to the guy that she doesn't have that kind of cash.  Then I have to negotiate with a ten year old about which beads she'll put back.  Did I mention this was my own damn fault 'cause I gave her a $5 bead store gift certificate for X-mas.  It was both a boring and painful experience, and I ended up paying for $20 of beads.  $20 of beads!!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 02:29:26 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Oh man I have so been to the bead shop.  Way too many times.


As have I.  As have I.

Actually, the last time I was in a beadshop I spent a least an hour in there with my SO's 10 yr old sister.  She was all loading up on beads, and the beads were totally expensive, so I was all reminding her:  "Okay, um, those beads are $4.95 each, do you really need four of them?"  Then we get to the counter and the hippy guy adds up everything on her tiny little tray and it's over $50.  My SO's little sister looks at me all scared and doesn't have the words to explain to the guy that she doesn't have that kind of cash.  Then I have to negotiate with a ten year old about which beads she'll put back.  Did I mention this was my own damn fault 'cause I gave her a $5 bead store gift certificate for X-mas.  It was both a boring and painful experience, and I ended up paying for $20 of beads.  $20 of beads!!


I was using "bead shop" in it's broadest sense as a metaphor for every boring-ass place my wife has dragged me too and made me wait for interminable periods of time.  Once or twice it has actually been a bead shop.  More often it's a craft store, consignment store, furniture store or (shudder) shoe store.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Re: 4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 02:39:51 pm »

Quote from: "foolio"
Kazenzakis returns hell of results. What is Beef talking about?


Onstad will explain it all in a filler- I mean special- strip on the Underground's sekrit version of Google.

Occasional and interminable trips to Michael's craft stores are bad enough: a store just for beads would kill me dead.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 03:03:27 pm »

I wanna strap the Read Hawt Chillly Peeeppers to my roof.  And then strap duct tape to their moufs.  And then park my car in the middle of the desert and hitchhike home.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 03:03:42 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Did I mention this was my own damn fault 'cause I gave her a $5 bead store gift certificate for X-mas.


You thought five bucks would buy, say, a sack of beads the size of a newborn child.

So did I, until now. How do the bead impresarios actually set bead prices? Whimsy? A delicate spectrum of aesthetic appeal against which each bead is carefully measured? MAYBE MANHATTAN WASN'T SUCH A STEAL
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 03:20:43 pm »

Well, as far as I could tell the beads had some pretty obvious ranges that determine their value - they spanned from cheap, plastic-y, to semi-precious stones, to hand crafted glass or percious metals, to........oh my god, am I actually going to go into this in detail.... no.  No.  I just can't.

What struck me as really interesting is that the guy at the counter didn't have to check the prices on anything, he just looked at the beads one at a time and knew each one and the correct price.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 03:39:24 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
What struck me as really interesting is that the guy at the counter didn't have to check the prices on anything, he just looked at the beads one at a time and knew each one and the correct price.

A career in the bead industry.  I suppose you could do worse.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 05:40:02 pm »

I went through a beading phase in elementary school, too -- and yes, they can get hell of expensive if you get the nice ones.

Also, I think everyone with an SO has been in the bead shop. I personally would substitute "watching Thunderbirds and attempting to be appreciative" for "at the bead shop thinking of Bob Dylan's illegal space ranch," but I think it's the same general emotion.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up