Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 4/11/05 - a Boring Place  (Read 12796 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 07:37:58 pm »

I'll stick with shoe stores, Kramer Books, and anything owned by Gap as the bead stores I get drug in to.

Exception that proves the rule: with Beef, it's all about the lower lip
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 07:59:17 pm »

My bead shop is that my girlfriend always wants to go into the gap. Once we're in there, she likes to point out how I should dress like the outfits they have on their mannequins and then she insults how I dress. Listen, I don't care how I dress and I want my outfits to convey that dammit.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 08:42:20 pm »

Was Roast Beef using his seldom-mentioned Wireless Internet Spine?
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 09:12:02 pm »

Quote from: "evan"
Was Roast Beef using his seldom-mentioned Wireless Internet Spine?


Capitalized like that, it looks like the name of a techno-punk band.  And seriously, there are bead shops?  Should I feel bad that my area is not cultured enough to contain one of these, or should I continue to weep for those that do?

Digivertibrate.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 09:18:02 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
And seriously, there are bead shops?  Should I feel bad that my area is not cultured enough to contain one of these, or should I continue to weep for those that do?


I think a bead store is the opposite of cultured.  Like they are only in towns without museums, art galleries or Nascar tracks.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 09:35:27 pm »

I would add 'maternity clothing stores' as a bead shop.
And I've been in real actual bead shops too. It's a hell of a racket.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 09:58:24 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
And seriously, there are bead shops?  Should I feel bad that my area is not cultured enough to contain one of these, or should I continue to weep for those that do?

They seem to be losing ground to scrap-booking stores. Based on the people that I know that make use of them, and their viral spread I can only assume that Oprah is pimping them.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 10:50:21 pm »

Quote from: "miles"


I think a bead store is the opposite of cultured.  Like they are only in towns without museums, art galleries or Nascar tracks.


I don't know about this.  I'm sure there was one in Harvard Square in Cambridge.  Isn't that the epitome of a cultured place?  And there's one here in Takoma Park which is just over the border from DC, land of an insane number of museums, and which is a town that probably thinks of itself as more cultured than all the rest of you.  Although none of those places has Nascar tracks, certainly.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 10:54:55 pm »

There is indeed a bead store just off Harvard Square. It is a nice one as these things go.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 12:29:14 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
DC, land of an insane number of museums, and which is a town that probably thinks of itself as more cultured than all the rest of you.

Random item: DC just officially renamed The National Mall to . . . The National Mall.

It turns out that was never really its name, it was just what everybody called it.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 01:13:41 am »

This strip did indeeed remind me of my bead obsession when I was in elementary school.  me and my cousin ran a craft store in my grandparents basement.  I made some jewelry, so I had a tub of beads... once my cousin wanted to take some of my beads for her own section of the store and we got in a tug of war over the tub till the beads poured out.

I reminded my mom about this and she said, "oh yes, you hoard things!  never sharing.. tsk tsk.  of course, beads are like money, so I guess I understand."

I was thinking, wtf... bartering?  I can trade a pile of beads for a cd or something?

I only semi-remember actually being in a bead store though [it was in Galveston and the beads were expensive :( ].  Michael's was my place of choice.. beads came in little baggies... I'd buy a few different sorts of those to mix it up.

---

Anyway, I do know the feeling of the boring store... usually for me this included places like the golf store.  in fact, they should make it where SOs didn't have to go into the boring stores... boring stores of differing degrees should be put next to each other, so a couple can separate and join up once done looking at their equally boring things :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 05:56:24 pm »

My husband has mastered the apparently incredibly difficult skill of saying "I'll meet you in Electronics Boutique*/Suncoast Video/Barnes and Noble/<insert-your-favorite-store-here> when you're done," if I want to go into a store in which he has zero interest.

You see, people, sometimes it is actually easier to solve a problem than complain about it.

* Actually, he says "EB" but some people might not know what that is.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 07:25:41 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Electronics Boutique

In Texas we get our electronics from a shack.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 07:36:31 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
In Texas we get our electronics from a shack.


all pulling weeds and roots out of abandoned Tandys
all picking through rotten mylar floppy disks
all tiptoeing over broken vacuum tubes
all weaving colorful capacitors and resistors into a small girl's hair
all hollowing out abandoned Speak and Spells to house homemade Geiger counters

Living in Texas is Serious Times, motherfuckers.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
4/11/05 - a Boring Place
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 08:00:28 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
My husband has mastered the apparently incredibly difficult skill of saying "I'll meet you in Electronics Boutique*/Suncoast Video/Barnes and Noble/<insert-your-favorite-store-here> when you're done," if I want to go into a store in which he has zero interest.

You see, people, sometimes it is actually easier to solve a problem than complain about it.

This is what I do when I'm not hijacked. "Come help me look for black shoes in size 7" or popping in somewhere boring on the way to the car. And let's not forget the ever popular, "we need to look in Pier One for a gift for my sister."

::shudder::
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up