Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood-lingus  (Read 5795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Achewood-lingus
« on: April 11, 2005, 04:30:53 pm »

Has Achewood made it's way into your day to day speach?  If so what is most common?

- On our way back from the art gallery yesterday my SO said "That was nice," and I replied "yes, it was.  it was a momentary diversion on the way to the grave."  

- my SO and I were commenting on how one of our cats, the brain damaged one, is always so happy, and we of course went through all the details of why a cat's life is good and decided that indeed "shit be good on this fine day."

- I often tell people to "have some dignity."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 04:41:27 pm »

"that is what pieces of shit do" from Ray's Place gets in there a fair amount.

"rutty" is now like a daily occurrence.

i used to throw "rad chilies" in occassionally, but not anymore.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood-lingus
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 05:17:40 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
I often tell people to "have some dignity."

Whenever my Mother forwards me the latest urban legend e-mail that's making the rounds I hit reply all with a link to snopes and the message "Have some dignity."

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 05:18:49 pm »

Also, i'm working "ain't want" into my lexicon.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 05:32:05 pm »

I also use "have some dignity" somewhat regularly.  I'm not sure if "hell of" is strictly an Achewoodism, but I use it when I can.  Particularly "hell of dilapitaded" when appropriate.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 05:35:24 pm »

I say "Have some dignity" every so often.  More common are "What the HELL people" and "Boo to that."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 05:46:48 pm »

I use a fairly disturbing number of them. "Hell of," "What the HELL people," and "have some dignity" show up a lot. For a while the SO and I were using the knife-commercial dialogue ("my heart's explodin'! These KNIVES!") as a way to describe something particularly fun, and there were a few Subway runs in which Ray and Beef's Subway dialogue was used extensively. ("So, SO's Name, what are you thinking of getting?" "Probably six kinds of nasty on a cold cut trio.")

It's sort of a para-Achewoodian thing, but I now use "hoss-banjo" as a regular speech element -- a condensation of the blurb from the first book about a reader "staring at Achewood like a hoss would a banjo," intended to mean "this is totally not within my universe." ("Well, honey, it sounds like good Python code, I guess, but... uh, hoss-banjo.")
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 05:47:55 pm »

Let's not forget the linguistic flu bug that is "basically". I have given up all hope of removing that from its new, Achewood-originated role in my head as "verbal comma".

Also, I had until very recently "THE DUDE HAS GOT NO MERCY" in a really snazzy font printed out and taped to my monitor at work. It turns out you can't really tape stuff to flat screens that well.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 05:58:33 pm »

I don't think "have some dignity" is an Achewood thing.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 06:28:33 pm »

"basically like treasure" and "what in the jam"
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 07:24:19 pm »

Reading Achewood and being married to someone who reads Achewood, it has slipped into our conversations with eachother so insidiously that it is hard to pull certain things back out and say, "That was Achewood before it was just something we say."

This effect is about the same as people in college associating me with pirates because I was often quoting the sea captain.  It even stopped being quotes.  I would just say sea-captain-ish things in a piratey voice.  It became hard to remember that the reason I would resort to "Arrr" when flustered was because of the Simpsons.

I guess I'm a bit unoriginal in that I'm very often expressing myself through quotes and impressions.  I suppose I'd be more witty on my own if I had better writers.


I have been known to cracked crab dance.
All those near me know there's ass in my #####.
When I say homosexuals, I'm talking about a monkey.
And when I take a "me" day,  I'm binging like a white jockeys junkie.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 07:30:34 pm »

I still on occasion will say 'Stay off the beach'. Possibly my favourite. But apart from that, Ray and Beef's speech have affected mine slightly.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 07:52:57 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Let's not forget the linguistic flu bug that is "basically". I have given up all hope of removing that from its new, Achewood-originated role in my head as "verbal comma".

My boss says "basically" like most people say "um" and it makes me want to hurt people.

I use beef-speak now and then (all saying "such as"). Usually until the SO tells me to stop. I say "rad chilies" when the opportunity arises and "six kids of nasty" whenever I'm hungry for something in particular.

I've also been known to ask, "what's up mother fucks" while entering a room. But sadly I have no permit to rhyme.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 08:03:42 pm »

You should have seen Pearce yesterday; pooped right out the side of his onesie.  All over the place.  Some even got on the mayor.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Achewood-lingus
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 08:09:13 pm »

Not the Mayor!  NOT THE MAYOR!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up