Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Poll

Dell Sucks

I agree
- 1 (10%)
I wholeheartedly agree
- 2 (20%)
There are no words for how much I agree
- 2 (20%)
CowboyNeal also agrees
- 3 (30%)
Dell is great and A/D is a Dork
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: April 11, 2005, 09:30:18 pm


Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boot Volume Not Found  (Read 4779 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Boot Volume Not Found
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:30:18 pm »

I have a three month old computer a and it won't boot. It returns "Boot Volume Not Found".

I restarted it with F12 and selected drive diagnostics. It says HD Maxtor blah blah blag Fail, Return code: 7

Anyone know what this means?

Thanks.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:35:45 pm »

I have a Dell and the only problem I've ever had with it is when I had AOL installed on it.  I had to format the hard drive, which is no easy task for a retard.

Which doesn't help, unless you have AOL.  If that's the case, get rid of it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 09:44:50 pm »

It means it isn't finding any operating system to boot to. Sounds like the hard drive is fried. Not a lot you can about that except put it in a working machine and see if you can access the files. Then if it works, install windows or linux on it.
If not, buy a new hard drive.
Surprised if it is dead, Maxtor's usually live long happy lives for me (all my HD's are Maxtor for that very reason. I have a 120mb that works fine.)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 11:09:56 pm »

I have an external 250Gb Maxtor drive and it's working great.  My dad bought one of the same model and his crapped out after about three months.

It happens.  I'd hope that after 3 mo. it's still under warranty.

But that makes replacing it no less of a pain in the ass.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 12:37:36 am »

It's the data I need. Can I get that data?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:57:48 am »

That sucks.  Just went through something very similar (fried motherboard on a 2 month old box) so I feel your pain.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:05:03 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's the data I need. Can I get that data?


Depending on how bad the problem is, there are two ways to get the data you need.

1) The operating system is no longer properly stored on the drive
     a) You could put the drive into another computer as previously suggested, and then copy your data onto that computer's drive
     b) You could use another computer to burn a Knoppix (or other bootable operating system) CD and then use an external hard drive to copy your stuff onto.  I use an iPod as my external hard drive.  You could also order such a CD, but since you're still posting, you probably have access to suitable hardware.

2) The drive has seized or is otherwise inoperable.  In this case, there are places you can send it to that will be able to get the data directly off the magnetic plates by installing them in new housing.  This can be quite expensive.

3) The magnetic plates are hosed.  This is very rare.  Nothing can help you here.

Sorry about the trouble.  Hope you get your stuff back.  I hate when this crap happens.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 01:52:15 am »

I plan to try to boot the machine to Knoppix tonight - if only the O/S is fried, I should be able to get to stuff, right?

I have a box of blank DVDs so I can get the small amount of really desirable data off of it if that works - although buying an external harddrive is probably a good idea if only for backing up and archiving.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 02:49:42 am »

I believe that is the exact same message I got when my hard drive croaked a few months ago (in a Dell, no less).  I had just done a big file backup and thus didn't lose much of consequence, so I didn't go to the effort of trying to get stuff off the drive.  Replaced with a 120 GB Seagate with a five year warranty, $100 after rebate.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:19:34 pm »

Dawg, I'm not sure that a Knoppix CD will include the software you need to burn DVDs.  CDs yes, but DVDs, probably not.  As far as I know, DVD burning in Linux is still mostly roll-your-own.  Anyway, that's the excuse my husband keeps giving for why he has yet to use the DVD burner I bought for him almost a year ago now.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 07:44:36 pm »

Yeah, there are tonnes of DVD burning programmes for Linux now, but I'm not sure any of them come on the Knoppix CD.  You can probably find a Linux Live distro that has a copy of CD Burner Pro 3, though (hint: it burns DVDs too).

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 02:40:03 pm »

Tonnes?  Do you put petrol in your lorry?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 06:05:26 pm »

Yes.  I have a programme that keeps track of when I need more.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 07:42:08 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Yes.  I have a programme that keeps track of when I need more.


Now that's just a bad pun! And I think we at least know to make an actual computer program to do that. We are very forward thinking here.
I did also tell my mother the other day that we don't say lorry over here anymore. And I, at least, do say gas most often, but in that respect I agree I'm a phenomenon. Yes.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Boot Volume Not Found
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 03:03:27 am »

I say Petrol because everyone in my family (on my father's side, anyway) says Petrol.  The Irish are good like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up