Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Techno-Tard strikes again  (Read 9091 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« on: April 14, 2005, 12:11:22 am »

I just realize that every time I post to this forum, I'm begging for help because I'm basically an Australopithecus when it comes to stuff that lights up, whirrs, blinks or buzzes.

So the problem du jour:

I was charging my Samsung E105 flip phone and walking past the table, hooked the cord with my foot. The phone hit face down hard. It still makes and takes calls but the displays don't work anymore.

If it's just a matter of replacing the flip part of the phone, is that worth it or do I just buy a new phone? Does anyone have any experience in getting a cell phone actually repaired?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 12:35:36 am »

I can't answer your question, I just wanted to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who's always knocking their cell phone to the ground in this way.  Can't they come up with a better charging device?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:14:55 am »

I plug in my phone charger on a UPS that I also plug my PC stuff into - then I just sit the charge cable on the desk.  I'd have to be dancing a jig on my desk to knock mine over.  How the hell can you knock your phone over?  Do you strew the cord around the room or something?

Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?

Anyway, back on topic - unless it's under warranty, it's not worth repairing your cell phone.  Either buy a new one or if you're not under contract and going month to month with service you can re-negotiate your cell phone contract and get a free new phone.  I did that all the time.

Find a deal from a competitor that is better than what you're getting now, then call your cell phone company and tell them about it.  Then ask what THEY can do for you.

You'd be surprised.  AT&T once doubled my monthly minutes and gave me a $400 phone just so I'd renew my contract for another 12 months at the same rate.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 02:04:46 am »

Quote from: "jough"
How the hell can you knock your phone over?  Do you strew the cord around the room or something?

Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?



Of course you strew the cord around the room.  All the outlets in the power strips or wall outlets that are near pieces of furniture are already full of stuff.    Why can't the charger be like one of those battery charging things?

And I think if you leave the keys in the door that counts as losing your keys.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 02:28:47 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jough"
How the hell can you knock your phone over?  Do you strew the cord around the room or something?

Of course you strew the cord around the room.  All the outlets in the power strips or wall outlets that are near pieces of furniture are already full of stuff.    Why can't the charger be like one of those battery charging things?

I invested in a cradle charger that I've discreetly placed on a bookshelf next to an outlet: can't trip over the cord without careening into the bookshelf.

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jough"
Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?

And I think if you leave the keys in the door that counts as losing your keys.

Ah- but only if you forget that you left your keys in the door would that indeed count as losing them.

Am I alone in having had my keys fall out of my pocket? Drinky? In a cab?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 04:16:14 am »

I didn't say I left my keys in a door - but they have to be in the door when using the keys to open it.

Also, Comcast just will NOT load Google.com tonight (among many other sites) so it's weird to see a mini "could not connect to server" iframe page where the Google ad should be.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 12:53:38 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I didn't say I left my keys in a door - but they have to be in the door when using the keys to open it.

Also, Comcast just will NOT load Google.com tonight (among many other sites) so it's weird to see a mini "could not connect to server" iframe page where the Google ad should be.

That happened to me, as well. Apparently once you successful find a site once you can use it normally, it's just the initial resolving of the DNS that breaks. It's happened a couple nights this week.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 01:29:51 pm »

i've had google problems all week.  it's actually fun, since i hadn't actually used yahoo in, um, a long time.  maybe fun isn't the right word, but there's a word in existence, i'm fairly sure, to describe it.

the problem i've heard about wireless power distribution is that the consequence of coming between the outlet and the device is more dire than if there is a cord:  cooking flesh vs. tripping and knocking over cell phone.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 04:36:19 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I just realize that every time I post to this forum, I'm begging for help because I'm basically an Australopithecus when it comes to stuff that lights up, whirrs, blinks or buzzes.


It is not difficult to make friends on the internet who are adept with gadgetry.  It is difficult to make friends on the internet who make conversational references to extinct hominids.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your phone, but I'm glad you're here.

Erectus.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 04:48:33 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?


JL loses her keys because women's clothing designers avoid pockets like it gives them rashes.  Also she loathes pocketbooks.  She's pretty much the gorgeous but butch woman we all dreamed about as kids.

As an aside, JL misses you.  She rarely has time to go downstairs and boot a computer between taking care of the child, managing the finances, and helping get our lives back in order.  Either that or I've got her barefoot and chained to the dishwasher.

Helotry.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 04:58:12 pm »

Pedro, I have to ask: are you breaking in a new copy of Mrs. Byrne's or something? What's with those words, then. What.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 06:35:20 pm »

Apparently comcast screwed up big time. Can't remember where I was reading that though. Probably on Evil Avatar.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 07:02:23 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "jough"
Also, I have never lost my keys, because they're either in my pocket, in the door, or on my nightstand.  How do you lose your keys?

JL loses her keys because women's clothing designers avoid pockets like it gives them rashes.  Also she loathes pocketbooks.  She's pretty much the gorgeous but butch woman we all dreamed about as kids.

This is absolutely true. (The bit about women's clothing designers having a massive phobia of pockets, not the bit about JL's gorgeousness. I'll trust you on that, though.) As a college student, I carry a massive wad of sundries in my pockets just to get through the day -- writing implements, my watch, my ID/keycard, extra pencil lead, my keys, a buck for a soda later, and so on -- and I have a few pairs of otherwise-lovely trousers that aren't getting wear because there's nowhere to put this shit. The only thing that saves me is that my keys are on a lanyard (because my mother was paranoid that I'd lose them if they weren't around my neck all day), so on pocket-free days I can just sling them around my neck and go.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 07:09:49 pm »

I'm considering an RFID chip for my car.

That's a lie.

I tend now I'm working to just put everything I need pocketwise in a pile on my little table. Either that or they hang up on a little pin on my shelf.
I am considering going solely across to wearing combat ##### though, just for the number of pockets. With an iriver (which is really quite bulky and heavy - it's one downside - but then it is a 40gb one), keys, wallet, usb cables, random crap a plenty, I just don't have the pocket space usually. That said, it might be easier when I have a real desk shortly.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Techno-Tard strikes again
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 07:16:29 pm »

women's fashion, sans pockets or #####, is insane from a hypothetical viewpoint wherein i am sane.

i am a fan of putting things into bags, and carrying the bag.  pockets are great, but i don't like heavy #####.

the one science fiction gadget that i wish existed in real, like, life is Dr. Who's magicalific screwdriver.  i'm not sure i ever saw a Dr. Who episode, but i vaguely remember him having a super screwdrive that did not need bits, or something.  if it could act as a wrench too, all the better.

i hope predro continues his variable one word signature thing, because i like going to dictionary.com.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up