Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Shaolin Thread  (Read 3178 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« on: April 13, 2005, 01:19:47 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 01:30:07 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "jough"
I remember her talking about firing a homemade canon with her Dad on some NPR show.  

It's so touching when families can bond over the formation of apocrypha.

</snide>


V, You..Are..Rad.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 02:34:14 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
He leaves and it keeps going?  Even just seeing the pilot I can't see how that could work.


It doesn't, really.  He needs to play off Gillian Anderson's straight man, but watch carefully and you might realize earlier than I did that he is that show's number one entertainment factor.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 03:23:22 am »

Sarah Vowell is really funny looking - she is a strange fuck*ng bird.  But very interesting.

Also, I was aware of Gigantic - I thought there was a movie movie, not a documentary with musical performances about the Johns.  I actually have not seen Gigantic, but they might have to make their way to my Netflix cue.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 12:48:15 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Also, I was aware of Gigantic - I thought there was a movie movie, not a documentary with musical performances about the Johns.  I actually have not seen Gigantic, but they might have to make their way to my Netflix cue.

I saw it when the AFI theatre opened. It was interetesting but I feel no need to see it again. And I've seen these guys live 14 times.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 01:48:58 pm »

Quote from: "Max"
but watch carefully and you might realize earlier than I did that he is that show's number one entertainment factor.


Well, I suspect there's a gender difference here - to me this was clear immediately.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 01:51:20 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!


This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!


This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?


Netflix and Greencine both have it: if you guys are renting about three movies a week one of these online rental services might be great for you. Greencine is especially good if you're looking for odd stuff (and they carry tons of subtitled Asian films), though their shipping is hell of slow.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 04:38:33 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!

This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?

This was a Disney/Miramax release so it should be fairy easy to find. Blockbuster might not have but Hollywood Video should and local-chain Video Warehouse almost certainly will.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 04:52:01 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I like movies that are a little weird.  I hate movies about people's feelings.

Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin motherfuck*ng Soccer!

This looks intriguing but surely it's going to be one of those heartbreaking experiences of something that is owned by no video store on earth, or at least in my neighborhood, isn't it?

This was a Disney/Miramax release so it should be fairy easy to find. Blockbuster might not have but Hollywood Video should and local-chain Video Warehouse almost certainly will.


Actually, my local Blockbuster has it, so it wouldn't hurt to check there.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 06:04:34 pm »

I really wanted to see Shao Lin Soccer.  Maybe I should rent it.  If I were to try to pitch it to JL, how would I describe it?  (She likes explosions so we have one point in our favor.)

Jough, you mentioned how wonderful HalfLife2 is.  I concur.  I was so obsessed with it at the time, Jamie bought me the coffee table book Half Life 2: Raising the Bar.  It covers the original game, some mods, and the new game.  It's very pretty.  Check one out on your next dead tree shopping spree.

Arborcide?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 06:24:56 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
I really wanted to see Shao Lin Soccer.  Maybe I should rent it.  If I were to try to pitch it to JL, how would I describe it?  (She likes explosions so we have one point in our favor.)

The Mighty Ducks with wire-fighting. Plus a special appearance by Team Evil (seriously).
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 08:25:47 pm »

Shaolin Soccer is a mystical kung fu comedy with amazingly creative soccer choreography (among other things).

I found it highly enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle (the latest from the writer/director/star).

If you like Jackie Chan movies you'll probably like Shaolin Soccer, although it's a little different in tone (funnier, more magickal) than Chan flicks.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 08:54:00 pm »

Shaolin Soccer is basically Dragonball Z meets the Mighty Ducks if it wasn't retarded and they decided to use their powers to play soccer instead of sit around grunting (referring to DBZ, of course).

It's a fun and very simple movie. I mean the bad guys are actually called Team Evil, no grey areas there.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The Shaolin Thread
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 12:13:21 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Shaolin Soccer is a mystical kung fu comedy with amazingly creative soccer choreography (among other things).

I found it highly enjoyable.  I'm looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle (the latest from the writer/director/star).

If you like Jackie Chan movies you'll probably like Shaolin Soccer, although it's a little different in tone (funnier, more magickal) than Chan flicks.


I am so looking forward to Kung Fu Hustle.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up