Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 4/15/05 - a classic struggle  (Read 4109 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lloyd

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.alligevel.blogspot.com
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« on: April 15, 2005, 12:27:11 pm »

Man, that's gotta be the silliest money-making scheme in the history of mankind, especially since it's so dubious that there's no obvious "humanitarian" angle.

That said, I do think that Ray is on the right track...


Oh, and my first post on the new forums, took me a while to look this place up.. Hi all!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 01:26:48 pm »

Welcome lloyd!

You'll find we are a jovial and happy bunch, unless you have some sort of horrible brain tick that suddently causes you to type in a cryptic southern drawl.

As for Paris Hilton, well, boo to her.  I mean really.  Yes, it has some how been spun to her advantage that she is basically a porn star, and this strip has me thinking about the possiblity that there may actually have been many people paid large sums to make it happen. I'm confused by her celebrity status in general, and get angry when I see her face on a magazine - it's seriously pavlovian at this point.

Well, now that I'm done ranting - the strip seems a lot like a set up to whatever will occur on Monday.

Also, I came into work and the box office staff had this letter folding machine out that's just like the joint rolling machine, only they were sending out promos for next season, not rolling fatties.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 01:34:18 pm »

I only wish Nick Carter didn't hit like a fuck*ng girl.

BOO HOO HOO

MY TRADEMARK SMIRK


I like how Li'l Sis is expressing concern with one hand and fingering a gold credit card with the other. Who's gonna make it all better?
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 02:17:36 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Welcome lloyd!

You'll find we are a jovial and happy bunch, unless you have some sort of horrible brain tick that suddently causes you to type in a cryptic southern drawl.



Agryyd!

Quote from: "side_show"


Well, now that I'm done ranting - the strip seems a lot like a set up to whatever will occur on Monday.


Which means We Return Wednesday.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 02:58:05 pm »

Ray's thoughts are precious.  Yeah we need the firm that spun "cock sucking dumbo" into "entrepreneur."  However I think he's set the bar too low.  He needs the firm that spun "coke snorting, draft dodging, frat boy drunk" into "Greatest President Ever."  But what he fails to realize is they all three already have the same agent with a pitchfork on his card.

~Paul

When Paris Hilton is mentioned in the strip things turn ugly fast.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 04:16:09 pm »

Now while I would usually say Paris Hilton is an easy target. I think that Achewood handles hatred of her in new and exciting ways.

Quote
I'm confused by her celebrity status in general, and get angry when I see her face on a magazine - it's seriously pavlovian at this point.


Her and Ashlee Simpson. In fact, I get Ashlee Simpson even less. She has proven how musically inept she is in front of gigantic audiences on two separate occasions, and yet she keeps coming back for more.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 04:39:39 pm »

I just can't stand how celebrities do the DUMBEST DAMN THING EVER SECOND OF THE DAY.
I just HATE THEM.
If you're famous, and have become so in the last 2 years, you're probably a dumbass. I probably hate you. Sorry!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 05:21:08 pm »

So, uh... celebrities are dumb. Anyway!

Isn't there any love here for the fact that Ray is inexplicably speaking two panels of his internal monologue out loud? So you go right from the bit about the parietal lobe to "... Lyle could catch it with a butterfly net," and you have to wonder how this would possibly sound aloud. Is it possible to be sketchier than the initial plan?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 05:57:36 pm »

Yeah, Paris Hilton jokes are easy (just like Paris Hilton... SEE?) but she's still hot.  

And it's not like she didn't NEED to be smacked around a little.

Anyway, the last panel made me laugh.  Ray's idiotic ideas rarely seem funny, probably due to their being idiotic.

WE RETURN FRIDAY

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 11:42:10 pm »

The hidden joke is that Ray is probably the richest guy in Achewood, and he doesn't actually need to steal people's wallets- but he's just so determined to make money with his cocked up paper folder that he's forgotten that.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 12:26:01 am »

Quote from: "evan"
The hidden joke is that Ray is probably the richest guy in Achewood, and he doesn't actually need to steal people's wallets- but he's just so determined to make money with his cocked up paper folder that he's forgotten that.


The extra hidden joke is that he walks around in a thong.

Of course the main idea remains that the cats are standing on their hind legs.

________________
Clandestine.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 04:01:52 am »

Quote
Of course the main idea remains that the cats are standing on their hind legs.


No one gives Onstad any credit for this, but really LOOK at the cats. He actually did an excellent job of making vertically-oriented cats that could still walk on all fours like real cats:

observe

I think it is about time he gets some recognition for this fact. Who's with me?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 04:15:49 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
No one gives Onstad any credit for this, but really LOOK at the cats. He actually did an excellent job of making vertically-oriented cats that could still walk on all fours like real cats:

observe

I think it is about time he gets some recognition for this fact. Who's with me?


Are you suggesting we bake him a plate of cookies?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 04:36:33 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
No one gives Onstad any credit for this, but really LOOK at the cats. He actually did an excellent job of making vertically-oriented cats that could still walk on all fours like real cats:

observe

I think it is about time he gets some recognition for this fact. Who's with me?


Are you suggesting we bake him a plate of cookies?


I'm going to make him a certificate with very nice calligraphy and gold leaf around the edges.  It'll be an award for Excellence in Imaginary Feline Anatomy.

And I'm going to put it in a faux leopard skin covered frame.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
4/15/05 - a classic struggle
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 04:57:02 am »

I was also going to suggest something like a certificate, or perhaps a trophy, but didn't want to get nominated for it.  Didn't want to get nominated for the cookies, either, but I figured I could talk my sister into that.

But I doubt he'd want a plate of cookies from a stranger.  Or maybe he's the kind of guy who wouldn't mind.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up