Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project  (Read 6796 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« on: April 15, 2005, 05:59:18 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Great what kind of language/system would you like to use?  I'm familiar with Perl, but I'd like to get into JSP.  PHP would also be okay, and we'd want to use a MySQL database.  I don't really have the time to do it myself, but I have extensive experience with web applications, so I'd be able to do initial design with you and help you when you need it.

If you really want to do it, we could split this off into a new thread and bandy about ideas.


Well, I can't split, but this'll do for now.  I am interested, and this seems like it would be an easy enough thing.  

I'm kind of a Perl monkey myself, but desperately need to do someting in a language other than Perl.  Somehow I've been able to find paying work doing Perl for the last eight years, but that's bound to dry up at some point.  I'd suggest PHP, but that's only because I have a book at home and I have a tiny little bit of experience with it making some changes to a webmail system.  JSP would be fine too, I've taken enough Java training that I suppose I ought to actually do something with it.  

Do you have a server anywhere to work with?  I have a few at home, but they're hell of decrepit, and connected behind my cable modem.  Neither the machines nor the connection would hold up to any sort of load if this actually became something people used.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 06:03:31 pm »

I have PHP and mySQL installed here.  I could set up some FTP space for you to work out of, and I know PHP and mySQL very well, so I could help out (although I won't have time to do a lot of work on the project).

But since I'm already writing tagging classes for Poetry X you may be able to reuse some of my code, should you want to.

JSP is intersting, but only as a science experiment.  It's slow and resource intensive.  I'm not about to be installing Tomcat on a production server any time soon.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 06:44:16 pm »

If we're going to be sitting on your server (which sounds excellent), it would make sense to re-use your tagging code.  Before we jump too far into this, I wonder if we could accomplish what we want to do with something that currently exists.  I was wondering if delicious had any sort of group functions, but they have anything like that that I can find.  I suppose we could create an "Achewood" user and share the password, but that would be a pain for anybody else who uses the system.  They'd have to log out of their normal account to edit Achewood entries.  

Also, if we made it comic specific, we could maybe do something like have fields for the speech bubble text, alt. text, and TOUAMB discussion thread in addition to tags.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 06:50:47 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Also, if we made it comic specific, we could maybe do something like have fields for the speech bubble text, alt. text, and TOUAMB discussion thread in addition to tags.

The frequency with which we give out Most  Wandering Thread awards makes me want to exclude thread topics directly. But I think tangential tags would work. Example: For Feb 4, 05 we could have the tags "Nagel" and "Macchio" which would cover parts of the thread but still be relevent to a non-poster looking at the strip.

How will we amass the tags themselves? Do we need a list ahead of time?
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 06:53:15 pm »

More random related link storage:

Comic Book Markup Language
More CBML
A dude's post in which he envisions exactly this sort of system.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 06:56:41 pm »

I want to work with JSP, but that's pretty much my problem.  PHP, MySQL, FTP, and Jough's server it is!  

The database should be simple:
STRIP is a url, a date, a title, the dialogue from the strip, and a list of TAGS
TAG is a name and value pair

That would probably work.  What do you think?

Once it's up and running, you can put ads on it, and I can stop feeling bad about never giving you any money.  I'm sure if we make it work for other comics as well, it might generate $1.50 during the year.  That's enough to alleviate my guilt.

Pittance.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 07:00:27 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The frequency with which we give out Most  Wandering Thread awards makes me want to exclude thread topics directly. But I think tangential tags would work. Example: For Feb 4, 05 we could have the tags "Nagel" and "Macchio" which would cover parts of the thread but still be relevent to a non-poster looking at the strip.


Quote from: "CortJstr"
How will we amass the tags themselves? Do we need a list ahead of time?


Tags are generally free form, just each tag is a single word, so we wouldn't need a list of "allowed tags" or anything like that.  I guess I envision an open system where anybody can edit the tags for a strip, but changes are logged so it is easy to revert in the case of vandalism.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 07:14:53 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Tags are generally free form, just each tag is a single word, so we wouldn't need a list of "allowed tags" or anything like that.  I guess I envision an open system where anybody can edit the tags for a strip, but changes are logged so it is easy to revert in the case of vandalism.


I'd say anybody can create a tag.  Only admin can delete/change a tag.  

CBML seems a little big for what we're doing.  It's more of a reproduce comics as text thing.  Comics for the blind.  XML.  More than we need.  Interesting though.  Thanks for the links.

Terse.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 03:07:49 am »

Yeah, I like the idea that anyone can add any tag for anything at any time.

But the system should be able to figure out what "popular" tags for certain strips are and then the more popular ones would come up first in searches.

The chore of course would be that it would only be useful if several of us went through the entire archives and tagged each strip with several pertinent tags, without seeing what others were tagging them.  Then we could massage the data later.

I'm still working out how I want the tagging to work for Poetry X, but discussing it here helps.  The hard part isn't the implementation as much as deciding "how we want it to work."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 05:38:42 pm »

OK, dumb question time. So is the point of this to tag each comic with all the relevent terms or just the ones that make that particular comic unique.

For example, Kicking the Basketball. Should the tags be simply "Jesus, basketball, kick" or do we want more along the lines of "Lyle, Teodor, round, retarded, Bible, out-of-round, Jesus, basketball, kick"?

Also, is there anyway do this with our own files? Because it would really help me on my PC.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 05:50:01 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"For example, [url=http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04232002
Kicking the Basketball[/url]. Should the tags be simply "Jesus, basketball, kick" or do we want more along the lines of "Lyle, Teodor, round, retarded, Bible, out-of-round, Jesus, basketball, kick"?


I would think the latter.  Personally, I'd tag every character who appears in the strip, props, topics discussed, etc.  Err on the side of too much metadata and if your search is returning too many results, refine your search.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 06:10:02 pm »

The point of tagging isn't to make each comic unique (they're already unique) but to be able to search for say, every comic that has Lyle in it.

So yeah, we'd need to tag it with theme, objects, characters, locations, jokes, etc.

It's not that hard.  But the more tags the better.  And the more people doing more tags the better - that way better tags will rise to the top.

Hey programmers, what do you think of this PHP class system:

http://www.getluky.net/freetag/

Also, I will be setting up domain space for this project today.  I think we should decide on a name for the project first, though.

And maybe do this in a private forum area for those who are interested in working on it.

Reply here if you're interested in programming, testing, tagging, or just generally being around work that is being done.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 06:33:31 pm »

Okay, I've created a private forum for us to discuss the mechanations of this thing.

I also propose we call ourselves the Tagging Achewood Group.

That way our acronym is TAG.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 06:39:43 pm »

I'm interesting in tagging.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Tagging Achewood - A TOUAMB Open Source Project
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 06:49:20 pm »

I'm interested in programming and testing.  Tagging is for suckers.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up