I fell in love with their music upon hearing their latest album. I saw them in concert exactly two weeks ago today. I'm sure it wasn't their best show and I would love to see them again when they are in proper form. There were technical difficulties and Colin Meloy was having trouble with his voice so he ended the show early after only about 45 minutes. A big dissapointment to the fans, but what they did play was very very good. They began the show with an April fools prank by having every member of the band playing an instrument that wasn't his or her own [Colin was on drums]. It was horrible, but that was the joke and it really put everyone in a good mood. Unfortunately Colin did not remain in a good mood. The monitors across the front of the stage weren't working and Colin made several angry comments to the sound guy. We discovered later that some kids had merely unplugged the speakers. It seems like a good sound guy would have been able to suss that out, but he didn't. On one song, [Espionage] he placed his capo on the wrong fret and didn't realize it until just before the rest of the band was to enter the song. He exclaimed "Oh shit," briefly stopped the song to fix his capo, and then began again where he left off. A true pro move, but certanly very embarrasing. Earlier in the set he stopped the song to order a kid standing by the stage, right beside me actually, to put out his cigarette. He went on to suggest that everyone refrain from smoking while the band was playing. This recieved a loud round of applause and the guy with the cigarette put it out immediately. I would not have been as disapointed by the shortness of the set if it were not for the fact that they didn't play the two songs I was most looking forward to hearing [Eli The Barrow Boy and The Mariner Song]. The hand written set list was right in front of me and those songs were due up next. But Colin abruptly announced "That's it, I can't sing anymore" and briskly exited the stage.





They didn't play The Mariner Song, but Jenny Conlee played a short impromptu version for a few of us after the show.

I asked Chris Funk if it were true what i've read about Colin Meloy being difficult to work with. He started stammering and trying to find some way to discount what i'd heard without actually saying it wasn't true. I stopped him and told him I just made that up on the spot [which was true, I had]. He then said, "he can be a shit."
~Paul