Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Poll

Do you keep checking your eBay auctions to see how much your old crap is going to earn for you?

Yes, I am a reload spastic.
- 3 (23.1%)
No, you dork.  Just let it go.
- 3 (23.1%)
What's eBay?
- 4 (30.8%)
Because Bozack asked for it!
- 3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 19, 2005, 01:27:47 am


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: eBay Selling Obsessiveness  (Read 3379 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« on: April 19, 2005, 01:27:47 am »

I can't possibly be the only one on here who sells stuff on eBay.  I'm selling my old laptop, and keep refreshing the "my ebay" selling page every two minutes, always feeling a bit of victory when the price goes up another few (or more!) dollars, with a greater sense or accomplishment the greater the increase from the previous bid (like, it jumped up $55, then another $10, which was disappointing after the previous jump).

So do you refresh obsessively when you have auctions or am I just a pill?

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 02:33:18 am »

....snarky 4th option? COME ON, MAN.

eBay gives me ulcers. My stuff never sells.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 03:28:02 am »

I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 03:44:49 am »

Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 04:14:53 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


I think you're right, V, but initially I thought it was fuck*ng cool.  Still do, but it is certainly one of the saddest things.

I sold a bunch of 7"s on ebay once, but haven't sold anything since.  I was able to get by checking only three times or so a day.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 01:22:16 pm »

I've never sold anything. I usually feel like my crap wouldn't fetch any money. Does anybody really want a VHS copy of Mallrats?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »

I haven't sold too much.  I did a bunch of crappy CDs a few months ago, more to get rid of them to a good home rather than make money.  So I didn't bother refreshing incessantly.  If I was selling something I thought might actually fetch decent scratch, maybe I'd be more obsessive.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 03:43:22 pm »

I'm too much of a pack rat to actually part with any of the useless crap I have laying about.  But if I ever get the box of old toys out of my parents’ basement, I'll either sell them on eBay, or set them aflame....

Transformer bonfire?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 03:48:00 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Transformer bonfire?


Nooooooo
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 04:38:47 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


I ought to add the caveat that at the time I was a high school senior, so by 'primary means of income' I mean 'drug/gas money,' not 'I am a 45 year old man who collects golf balls from a lake for a living.'
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 04:50:10 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


You're insane, that is one of the coolest things.  It has to kick the shit out of working at Taco Bell or somesuch.  One begins to suspect you have never been required to earn money.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 05:27:31 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Max"
I used to sell golf balls on eBay as my primary means of income.  We sold so many orders though that I had to force myself not to check on them too often, or I would never have time to go out and get/wash and package the damn things.

No offense to you, man, but this is one of the saddest things.


You're insane, that is one of the coolest things.  It has to kick the shit out of working at Taco Bell or somesuch.  One begins to suspect you have never been required to earn money.

It is cool in exactly two contexts:
1) Max was actually making a comfortable income on it; or
2) Max was not technically living on the money and was using it as a "beer and cigarettes" fund.
This appears to be situation 2, so it's rad in that context. That said, I stand by my belief that the image of an adult person trying desperately to make ends meet via scavenging golf balls and selling them on eBay is plaintively sad.

(Also, what does this have to do with my employment history?)
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 06:13:53 pm »

No, he said it was his primary means of income - like, he'd starve and be out on the street were it not for old people's golf balls.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 06:37:27 pm »

I thought I read somewhere that people who dive in golf course ponds to retrieve and resell balls can make bank.  Not so sad then.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
eBay Selling Obsessiveness
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 06:53:22 pm »

I have never actually sold anything on eBay. I've considered it but never got around to it. And now that I picked up Stranger's Wrath, I won't be selling my XBox for a while at least.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up