Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: having a job and hating oneself  (Read 13428 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2003, 02:32:28 am »

Choop! Despite your refusal to accept my invitation to come out and hang in Hawaii, I must say that I knew there was something I liked about you....from one bureaucratic stooge to another...are you responsible for the (red) tape itself or merely the paperwork to get the (red) tape?

EXCELLENT metaphor!  And since you refer to Atlanta I have this DREAD fear we work for the same agency (although I know there are plenty of Feds in Atlanta)!

Unspeakable.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2003, 03:14:14 am »

Woo Hoo for bureaucratic stooges!  One more checkin' in.

Is it breaktime yet?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2003, 03:25:28 am »

I don't know if she posted (a pic) out of Balls (once again, is he a chick or is she a dude??) so much of frustration with us continuously speculating on whether or nor she is a dude, and if so, whether or not he is pregnant.

I'm not posting one because, well, I don't photograph well. On account of being unattractive and junk. And because I don't have a twirly mustache, which is awesome.  Now, IF someone who LOOKS like J-L-D  requested a mug shot AND I thought the eventual payoff would be worth the initial trepidation, embarassment, flames and whatever else would result from my mug soiling the net (assuming the person really isn't a pregnant dude like J-L-D apparently is) then.....maybe.  

***Disclaimer: J-L-D is not a pregnant dude but a perky 24 year old with a pic posted elsewhere on this board. I'm just playing along here....thanks.***
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2003, 07:16:52 am »

JL is lovely, as she has always been. Paul, that girl whose pic you posted is also lovely, and you can tell her I said so. Seriously, just go up and tell her that some anonymous weirdo on the internet thinks she's cute . . .

Wait, you said she is good with computers. There's probably many anonymous weirdos on the internet that think she's cute.

Anyway, I would post a picture but I don't have the capabilities, and I have enough trouble just handling what is happening right now without trying to find some hosting place to do that for me. Hell, every time I have to sign in to a site that doesn't save my password I have to have it emailed to me or reset.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2003, 08:12:12 am »

I have posted a pic.  

See my avatar?  That's me.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2003, 09:26:44 am »

I would post a picture, but well. Noooooooo!
I think the only pictures I have around at the moment are of me smoking or flipping the bird at my mate with the camera. I have a whole roll of film taken from when my ex was last down, but her being ex kind of puts me off getting round to developing it...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2003, 02:17:36 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Woo Hoo for bureaucratic stooges!  One more checkin' in.

Is it breaktime yet?


(To the tune of "What I Am")  

Bureaucracy
Is a walk on a slippery rock
Derision
And guile in a blog...

Why that popped into my head is beyond me.  

I work for the gub'mint, too, but for the state rather than the Federation.  I'm employed by a large public university (free grad school, woo!).  

Public sector shout-out in the hiz-ouse, y'all.  Woot.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
gov’ment
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2003, 02:31:44 pm »

I also work for the state, of Arkansas. I assess the ad valorem tax on Motor Carriers (trucking companies) that drive through here. Yes, you get taxed for just driving through Arkansas (if you haul for hire). No, this is not a new tax, it’s been in effect since 1938. Yes, you are being penalized $100 because you did not file a report in 2003. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t actually travel through Arkansas last year, if you bought a Single State Registration, you still have to file a report, saying you did not travel through the state. I can fax you a report, what is your fax number please.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2003, 04:05:24 pm »

State gummit.

Georgia D.O.T. (Transportation, not Technology, unfortunately.)

I'm posting from there right now!!!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
money
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2003, 04:28:30 pm »

We got our yearly raises today.

2.6%! YEAH!
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2003, 04:37:42 pm »

All us Southern folk need to get together for a pig-pickin', complete with collard greens, grits, and sweet tea.  We should form a society called "Ache-Heads of the Confederacy."  We should ride around in pickup trucks drinking Ketel One while screaming "What the HELL people" at mobile home communities.  And all the people from the DC area can come and explain to us why we lost the War of Northern Agression.  

Yeah, I wasn't born in the South, either.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: money
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2003, 04:53:58 pm »

Quote from: "satchel"
We got our yearly raises today.

2.6%! YEAH!


You get yearly raises?  

Our state has been in such dire budget crises for the last 2 years that they can't afford to give us COLAs.  Instead, we each get 80 hours of bonus leave that we can use for vacation with our supervisors' approval.  Which is nice, assuming that our supervisors ever let us take vacation.  However, since I'm the only secretary in our department, the chances of me being allowed to use 2 weeks of vacation (in addition to the 2.85 weeks I accrue at a rate of 9.5 hours a month) are slim to none.  And we only get eleven holidays a year -- including the week of Christmas and two days at Thanksgiving.  

So yeah, I'd take a 2.6% raise.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2003, 05:18:40 pm »

The Fed folks USED to get real decent recent raises, but the current administration is hell-bent on spending the money I might save on chasing Osama and Saddam around in Iraq and Afghanistan. Already making postures about this coming January. I can't complain though; they moved me to Hawaii and I got a decent pay grade considering.  Interesting how many public sector folks come on here (from home or when officially on leave).

I work for the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sounds more exciting than it is although I did get mobilized for the SARS response earlier this year.  Mostly I sit in a public health clinic and ponder how to improve service and progress on eliminating a specific communicable disease with no additional money or staff,  and when that staff refuses to change the way they do business or accept training.

It's sort of a social Karma thing - the work equivalent of being reincarnated as a paramecium.  But the other 16 hours each day are pretty awesome.

I have new respect for Satchel, though. Anyone who can spend a day talking gub-speak to truckers and remain sane must be able to walk across rice paper and leave no trace. You have reached the shambala master level of red tape dispensing. I am not fit to sit at your lotus feet.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2003, 05:25:23 pm »

Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction.  And since I'm a management type, no raise for me this year.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
having a job and hating oneself
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2003, 07:26:35 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
State gummit.
Georgia D.O.T. (Transportation, not Technology, unfortunately.)
I'm posting from there right now!!!


Is that why the lines are always so long there?

Bastard.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up