Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Brown's Boxing Clown  (Read 3865 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

EgoSumNoah

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« on: April 19, 2005, 06:44:17 am »

This review, given such a fine subject matter, managed to avoid both insight and quality writing.
Logged
I am Jack, the Pumpkin King

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 06:46:22 am »

What review would that be?

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 07:04:22 am »

The Fourth Wall As Resilient Inflatable Boxing Clown

and it only gets more verbose from there.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:07:06 am »

Is this on the internet somewhere, or did the clown pay a visit to your house?

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 07:27:09 am »

Will somebody explain for me why the formatting on the article looks like crap unless it is in full-screen mode (I am using IE) ?

http://www.brown.edu/Students/INDY/archives/2005-03-10/articles/arts-mulkeen_achewood.htm

edit: *****_Roll_Call, I thought the tags were visible in your sig for added humor. This works too, I guess.
Logged
I am older now.

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 07:56:58 am »

Too much big word!
Brain hurt!
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 01:20:36 pm »

This article was written by a dude that has understood very little of what he's read and retained.

ANY fuck*ng AROUND WITH NARRATIVE CONVENTION DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY JUSTIFY INVOKING "THE FOURTH WALL"

Also, did you ever notice that Roast Beef is emo? Emo? Did you notice? Roast Beef being emo? Because I sure did after reading this piece
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 01:31:43 pm »

The Indy? This is the worst formatting I've ever seen on a non-geocities page.

Also, is it wrong that I had no idea where Brown was before?
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 02:14:13 pm »

Quote
edit: *****_Roll_Call, I thought the tags were visible in your sig for added humor. This works too, I guess.


whachu talkin bout?
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 03:33:44 pm »

Quote from: "Martin Mulkeen"
Achewood's confused hilarity stems from its fidelity to a dynamic and porous narrative skin.


I stopped here.  It doesn't help that I already have a headache, but this is too much.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 08:05:16 pm »

Jesus. It's like a parody of McSweeneys. But it's SERIOUS.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 10:23:27 pm »

Man, this hits home badly. The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate. I'm uncomfortably used to it. Hell, these are technically my people.

Time to exodus.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 12:23:00 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, this hits home badly. The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate. I'm uncomfortably used to it. Hell, these are technically my people.

Time to exodus.


This is crap. No-op.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 07:45:19 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote
edit: *****_Roll_Call, I thought the tags were visible in your sig for added humor. This works too, I guess.


whachu talkin bout?


I don't...know. I keep phasing in and out of a place where your signature is different.
Logged
I am older now.

MSC

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 09:11:38 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate.


This is very true.  As a Brown graduate, I would like to defend this piece/guy, but I can't.  It is really very bad, and as much as I loved my college, the piece is sadly indicative of much of what I had to endure in many college classes.  

I thought I would never again have to hear about something being "privileged" (i.e. "Calvin and Hobbes privileged the individual subject's imagination in a celebration of both natural and psychological worlds...").  But I guess not.

For the record, the Independent is published by both students at Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design.  So I would like to partially blame RISD, but this guy goes to Brown so to hell with it all.  At least I hope it got him a good grade when he used it in his comparative literature class.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up