Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brown's Boxing Clown  (Read 3845 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 12:41:25 am »

I just hope that it wins Achewood some fans and doesn't drive any potential new ones away.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 02:00:33 pm »

Quote from: "MSC"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The ameteurishness of the journalism, the strange mix of attempted erudition and sophomoric inside jokes -- this is powerfully undergraduate.


This is very true.  As a Brown graduate, I would like to defend this piece/guy, but I can't.  It is really very bad, and as much as I loved my college, the piece is sadly indicative of much of what I had to endure in many college classes.  

I thought I would never again have to hear about something being "privileged" (i.e. "Calvin and Hobbes privileged the individual subject's imagination in a celebration of both natural and psychological worlds...").  But I guess not.

For the record, the Independent is published by both students at Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design.  So I would like to partially blame RISD, but this guy goes to Brown so to hell with it all.  At least I hope it got him a good grade when he used it in his comparative literature class.

See, I really wasn't thinking specifically in a "Brown" context. I was thinking of a lot of the undergraduate "journalism" that comes out of my future alma mater (Williams), which tends towards this exact same tone. (My favorite recently was the editorial about how we shouldn't argue about on-campus issues because children are starving in India, and the fact that the author at least thought about the starving children made him more morally right than those of us concerned mostly about our housing. Hoo-wee.)
Logged

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 03:49:56 pm »

Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

In any case, that article has made me take a careful look at my own writing and tone down the affectation. I... I don't want to be that guy.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 04:31:27 pm »

Quote from: "Silverberg"
Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

Whatever you say, Little Third. Whatever you say.

ANYWAY: if this proves anything, it's that all "elite" liberal-arts colleges are probably about equally sophomoric.
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 08:56:34 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Silverberg"
Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

Whatever you say, Little Third. Whatever you say.


Big daddy Amherst sits in the corner and says nothing. But he's got a little smile on his face as he watches the little ones play. Oh yes he does.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 09:04:14 pm »

Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Silverberg"
Ew, you go to Williams? Wesleyan spits at you!

Whatever you say, Little Third. Whatever you say.


Big daddy Amherst sits in the corner and says nothing. But he's got a little smile on his face as he watches the little ones play. Oh yes he does.


dude, i liked your signature better in nu-welsh.

and, isn't arguing which massachusett's college is better sort of like someone from TN saying "hey, are school systems rank higher in a national list than Arkansas!".

i mean, have some dignity people.


ps, yes, the typo is ironic because i caught it BEFORE i pressed submit.  otherwise it's retarded and proves a point.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 09:30:22 pm »

There, thread split. Now we can get back on the topic of the obvious moral inferiority of the Smallpox Hamsters, as well as their many, many other faults.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 03:57:27 pm »

ooh, i started.  and then it sucked and i stopped.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Brown's Boxing Clown
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2005, 03:58:58 pm »

Anyone who uses the word "episteme" without irony cannot be trusted.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up