Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous  (Read 7464 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 05:31:33 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I wish I had never seen this strip.

I also wish I had never seen the new Disney Channel "The Doodlebops."  Do not watch it; do not let your kids watch it.  It will make you respect the Wiggles.


The Wiggles just passed up Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, AC/DC, and many others to become the highest paid entertainers in Australia last year. You must respect the Wiggles. Also they are building a theme park.

Respect the Wiggles!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 06:12:25 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking that "Future Dead Person" ain't just for babies.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 06:15:20 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The Wiggles just passed up Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, AC/DC, and many others to become the highest paid entertainers in Australia last year. You must respect the Wiggles. Also they are building a theme park.

Respect the Wiggles!


When the Wiggles did a live show here in DC a year or two ago, an article about them in the Post mentioned the presence of groupies in their hotel lobby.  Not bad-looking guys, obviously good with kids, filthy rich... yeah, every single MILF in town would be on the prowl.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 06:23:44 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
The last panel is almost physically painful to look at.

This, this is what I was trying to figure out how to express.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 08:03:36 pm »

I saw a baby clothing thing with "I Might Barf" printed on it. I thought that was cute. They also had one emblazoned, "New," and a pair which had david bowie and blondie printed on them. However, I doubt I'll ever find anything as classy as the one I saw back home that read, "My mom is easy."
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 09:41:16 pm »

We get catalogs that offer lil' T-shirts that say, "Warning: I am Two." (also, "Warning: I am Three.")  This is funny and useful.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 10:17:21 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
We get catalogs that offer lil' T-shirts that say, "Warning: I am Two." (also, "Warning: I am Three.")  This is funny and useful.

See, this seems like a good thing to be able to label your child as. It's funny, helpful to the world (or at least that section of it worried about toddlers), and not weirdly insulting to anyone involved.

"My Mom's Easy" just strikes me as tasteless without actually being all that funny.
Logged

agnes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fireland.com/
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 10:22:32 pm »

The fact that Onstad has a newborn in the house gives this strip extra ZING!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 10:24:09 pm »

Quote from: "agnes"
The fact that Onstad has a newborn in the house gives this strip extra ZING!

No offense, Agnes, but you appear to have successfully "gotten the joke."

Since, see, Beef is buying the baby garments for Onstad's baby.

Yeah.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 10:26:13 pm »

I'm not sure I like this making fun of people who point out the obvious.

Mostly because it means that I am likely to be made fun of in the future.

agnes

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fireland.com/
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 10:29:01 pm »

I WIN!

I actually did get the "joke," or rather the "plot context," but what was zingy to me was the fact that new-dad Onstad spent some time envisioning a baby wrapped up in a Wonder bread bag w/cord, maybe even using his own baby as a model, maybe doing the thing where artists hold up their thumb and close one eye.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 10:40:20 pm »

Quote from: "agnes"
I WIN!

I actually did get the "joke," or rather the "plot context," but what was zingy to me was the fact that new-dad Onstad spent some time envisioning a baby wrapped up in a Wonder bread bag w/cord, maybe even using his own baby as a model, maybe doing the thing where artists hold up their thumb and close one eye.

Okay, you're forgiven. That image is funny as hell.

"What do you think, honey? Do you think it'd be funnier if it were an eight-foot extension cord? ... Look, I'll take her out of the bread bag in a second, I'm following my muse."
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 10:48:37 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Mostly because it means that I am likely to be made fun of in the future.


Well, DUH!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

rrh

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 11:10:54 pm »

I think what helps it work, for me, is that Beef's not doing the standard "Waaaa!" but "Waaaaugh!" which makes it sound even more frantic.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
4/19/05 - this stuff is humorous
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 11:42:02 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "jough"
Mostly because it means that I am likely to be made fun of in the future.


Well, DUH!


Well played.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up