Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pothole  (Read 3230 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Pothole
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:11:27 pm »

I attended a NASCAR race event this past Sunday and I had intended to post my thoughts on the event and gather your reactions.  I'm not a fan of auto racing and it's likely that I would never choose to attend a race if it were left enterely up to me.  As it were the company I work for [which is a major sponser of the event] offered a package to employees which included meals, transportation, choice seats, and special pit access at a price less than the face value of the ticket alone.  Even that wasn't enough of an incentive to make me want to attend as virtually the same package was offered the previous year and I declined.  Enter the boy, you all remember the boy right?  I'm talking about This Boy, who has become race fan extrordanaire.  So when the offer came around this year I accepted on his behalf.

But that's what I was going to talk about, instead I want to talk about something else entirely. Warning:  This is not a pleasant story.

Check out this picture:

Here we are at the race, it's a beautiful day, the sky is clear, it's cool, the excitement is building as race time is fast approaching.  We're standing at the base of a ramp that leads up from the street into the infield.  We were on our way to the pits because we have special access passes which will allow us free reign to check out the cars and the crews up close and personal.  Maybe even some of the drivers will be hanging around and we can get an autograph and a picture.  For Kevin that would be like meeting a rock star.  And where we are standing we can see our destination for the first time.  Considering that we've been walking for nearly a mile to get to this point we are excited to now be so close to our destination.  But it was such a beautiful view there with the massive gransdstand behind us and the clear blue sky above that I just had to get a picture of the boy.  A kind stranger offered to take a picture of the both of us which is the picture you have been looking at.  I should also add that we are running late.  We were late arriving because someone showed up to the bus late and we were kind enough to wait for them.  For that reason there was only a few more minutes remaining before the pit areas were to be cleared of spectators in preparation of the race.  So we were in a hurry.  So when I retrieved my camera from the gentleman who had taken our picture, I turned and started jogging up this ramp.  In my excitement and hurry I failed to notice the pothole directly in my path.

I took two steps and put my foot in the hole and twisting my ankle fell to the pavement with a crash.  I went one way, my camera went another.  Luckily the camera fared better than I recieving only minor scratches.  I was in serious pain, but I pulled myself to my feet and hobbled to the top of the ramp and rested on the retainer wall.

The pothole is still in view.

Luckilly two Ft. Worth police officers on a golf cart type buggy happened by after only a short time.  I got their attention and they gave the boy and I a ride back to the corporate hospitality area.  I was in a lot of pain, I should have sought medical attention right then, but I didn't want to spoil Kevin's good time.  I also didn't want to cause embarrasment for myself with so many of my co workers present.  Any of you that work in a large office knows that you can never live something like this down.  I would forevermore be the guy that got hurt at the race and no one wants to be defined in that way.  So I toughed it out.  We had a little bit of lunch in the hospitality area then began our long journey to our seats.  It was about 1/4- 3/8's of a mile from the hospitality tent to our seats in the granstand and it was an excruciating journey.  Every step felt like a sledgehammer was being applied to my ankle.  I was nearly in tears, but I made it.  I thought I would be alright if I just made it to the seats.  The pain would surely subside and I would be fine.  No such luck.  There is very little leg room in the seats, it was impossible to get comfortable.  And people were steadilly coming and going making it impossible to remain still for any length of time.  But still I was determined to stick it out for the boys sake.  At about a little more than halfway in I had had it.  I decided it was time to get the hell out of there.  I was hobbling so badly as I limped out of the bleachers that my friend Mary Margaret intervened on my behalf.  I was still stubbornly thinking I was going to keep this thing quiet and spare myself the embarrasement so I was initially angry at her, but when she ordered me to wait for medical attention I acquiesced.  In retrospect I realize my thinking was faulty and there was no way I was going to ever make it the better'n half mile back to the bus as was my intention.  So I sat at the bottom of the stairs waiting for the paramedics to arrive.

The rest of the pictures are pretty self explanatory.  I should point out that I don't really mind being the butt of a joke or doing something stupid, but when it's people you work with the shit never dies.  Here I am with two new friends.  I don't even know these guys, but they wanted to get their picture taken with the gimp.


That's Mary Margaret talking to the paramedic.

So they patched me up and called for transport, but the transport never arrived.  The race was still going on so I hobbled back up to the top of the stairs and sat there watching the race while waiting.

This is my foots eye view of the racetrack.

The race ended and still no transport arrived so i'm stuck sitting there as everyone files past me on their way out of the grandstand, my worst fear realized.  A full 30 minutes at least passed before transport finally arrived.    I'm clearly in a lot of pain by this point.

And i'm back on the bus.

The next day I saw the doctor.  It's turns out it's just a sprained ankle, but aggrivated by the abuse.

And finally after two full days made it home at last.

At least I got some good drugs out of the deal.  I tried to make to work today, but only lasted four hours.  I can't take the heavy stuff while working because it'll put me right out.  So now I am at home feeling very little pain as I write these words to you.  Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go pass out for a little while.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Pothole
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 08:20:24 pm »

The picture narration reminds me of the bits Conan does where he'll show pictures of, say, his Super Bowl party with Max and Joel the Announcer.

You took a camera to the doctor's office.  That. Is. Rad.

Oh yeah - get well soon.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Pothole
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 08:22:31 pm »

How do you go about making that last photo happen?

"Excuse me, doctor, would you mind if one of your lovely nurses snaps a photo of us?"

V-Adore

  • Guest
Pothole
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 08:38:05 pm »

Wait, you're daring to sit in the Death Chair? In your condition? That's SUICIDE, man.

Also, I hope The Boy still had a good time.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Pothole
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:39:33 pm »

You're a good man, Paul.  And a hell of a tenacious photographer.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I want that Pink Floyd poster.  I lost mine years ago.  I miss it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Pothole
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:08:43 pm »

Oh, also, Paul, dang.  Get well soon with that ankle, buddy.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Pothole
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 11:12:55 pm »

Paul, get well soon.

 For the sake of the world I pray you never get hemorrhoids,  or if you do, that the battery dies in your camera.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Pothole
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 06:57:52 am »

Get well soon. Sucks to fuck up an ankle so...
Almost worth it for the doctor's room photo however. Fantastic!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Pothole
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 02:17:48 pm »

I can't think of any worse place to get an injury than at a racetrack. Everything's so spread out, and there's a large percentage of "suck it up, son, there's a RACE going on!" types.

I second Dawg's opinion re: hemorrhoids, as well as everyone else's wishes for a speedy recovery.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Pothole
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 03:04:58 pm »

Also, I get the impression that when Paul sues them he'll have a lot more time to post here as he sits in a chair made out of money.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Pothole
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 05:02:53 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Almost worth it for the doctor's room photo however. Fantastic!


Easily my favorite photo of the series, as well.

Busted ankle? Eh, fuhgeddaboudit

Seriously, though, get well soon.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Pothole
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 01:33:45 pm »

Oh no Paul!  You sprained your ankle in a pot hole!  Didn't someone warn you to not sprain your ankle in a pot hole?  And if not, why not?

I love the last photo of you sitting in the chair.  In every other photo of you that I've seen your 'stache is always perfectly curled, but in this photo there you are, looking like a trooper with your crutches, and one side of your mustache is ever so slightly unfurrled.  The unfurrled side of your 'stache tell's the story of your trauma right there.  Right there, man.

Hope you have time for a hella healing, man.  Get well.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Pothole
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 09:25:34 pm »

Feeling any better, man? I was away on vacation for awhile, and then the thought of catching up on the boards was a bit too much to handle, so my well wishes are late. Hope you're hobbling a little easier.

Oh, and if you've got any extra pain meds lying around that you don't need, gimme a call.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Pothole
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 05:58:22 am »

Quote from: "Mite"

Oh, and if you've got any extra pain meds lying around that you don't need, gimme a call.


Do you have any Vicodin? From...from when you sprained your ankle?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up