Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary  (Read 4258 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« on: April 20, 2005, 03:36:58 am »

Today is the tenth anniversary of the Bombing at the Federal building in Oklahoma City.  It's also the anniversary of the final day of the seige at the Branch Davidian compound in Waco.  I don't know if it's a coincidence or not that I saw this truck while driving home from work earlier today.

Weird...



In case you can't read it all...

In Reflective Mailbox letters:
DEFEAT TERRORISM
LOS ALAMOS
ELIAN OKL.
911(5)
444
WACO
RUBY RIDGE
ELECT MARLON HOUSTON HARRIS COUNTY SHERRIF

Bumper Stickers
1 Support our troops Yellow Ribbon
5 for various local politicians (all right wingers)
1 for Tom DeLay
4 for George Bush
1 for the Air Force
3 for the Marines

Yikes!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 04:47:03 am »

Having both "Ruby Ridge" and "OKL" is pretty weird.  Wasn't the Oklahoma City bombing supposed to have been a reaction to Ruby Ridge?  

Also, what does 911 (5) mean?  What's the significance of 911 to the 5th power?  I don't get it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:50:04 am »

Wait.  Is that flag in the bed of the truck?  I don't know why, but it took me a bit to realize that.  Now that's patriotism.

And I don't get what message some of the stickers are trying to convey...

Elian OKL.?  Is Elian a city?

Or maybe it's two stickers, like one in remembrance of little Elian and one in remembrance of the bombing.  Though for some reason I would assume this character to be pals with McVeigh.  That's unfair.  But, come on.

I did hear some stuff on NPR throughout the day about the anniversary--including some interesting interviews of paramedics who were there--at least when NPR wasn't Radio Pope.  Although, even though I'm not Catholic, I found the news really excting and was glued to the radio for a good hour before I went to school.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 12:56:27 pm »

It was funny, all morning yesterday the main story on the Post was the anniversary and nobody seemed to noticed. But starting at 12:01 people couldn't F5 fast enough and all work just stopped.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 01:32:23 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Elian OKL.?  Is Elian a city?

It occured to me this morning that Elian is probably that Cuban kid that dominated the news a few years ago.

Maybe he needs to update his tailgate to include Teri Schivo.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 01:52:49 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
I did hear some stuff on NPR throughout the day about the anniversary--including some interesting interviews of paramedics who were there--at least when NPR wasn't Radio Pope.  Although, even though I'm not Catholic, I found the news really excting and was glued to the radio for a good hour before I went to school.


So am I the only one who is completely sick of Silvia Poggioli?  Dang, it's like she's had her own show for the last several months.  

Also, what is the significance of 444?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:53:51 pm »

So, what's that truck owner trying to say?  Defeat terrorism such as Waco and Ruby Ridge?  Or remember the victims of Waco and Ruby Ridge, and defeat terrorism as long as it involves brown-skinned foreigners?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 01:55:39 pm »

It's a very confused tailgate.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 02:23:14 pm »

The realm of logic rarely infiltrates the minds of those who decide to decorate their cars like this. It's one thing to have A STICKER. Maybe TWO STICKERS. But the amount of effort he put into this shows that he might not be preheating his oven before cooking.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 02:35:29 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
The realm of logic rarely infiltrates the minds of those who decide to decorate their cars like this. It's one thing to have A STICKER. Maybe TWO STICKERS. But the amount of effort he put into this shows that he might not be preheating his oven before cooking.


I feel the same way about those who sit on the other side of the aisle.

In fact, at least around here, you see those cars more often.  Although Utah is overwhelmingly conservative, apparently the liberals are more bumper sticker crazy.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 02:37:51 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
In fact, at least around here, you see those cars more often.  Although Utah is overwhelmingly conservative, apparently the liberals are more bumper sticker crazy.


I saw a person driving a car before the election who had two stickers on her bumper.  One said "Kerry/Edwards 2004" and the other said "I Have Issues".  I wanted to pull her over and say "You're Not Helping!"
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 03:55:04 pm »

Quote from: "miles"

I feel the same way about those who sit on the other side of the aisle.

In fact, at least around here, you see those cars more often.  Although Utah is overwhelmingly conservative, apparently the liberals are more bumper sticker crazy.


Craziness is not relegated to one side of the aisle. There are f'in looines in both ranks. It seems you find more crazies on the underrepresented side of wherever you are. The liberal nuts will be more visible in conservative areas and vice versa. Here in Hampton Roads, I saw on several occasions a truck not unlike this one, with a huge handmade sign that said "OLIVER NORTH BELONGS IN PRISON NOT THE US SENATE" during his Senate campaign.

At least they break up the monotony of the drive.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 04:01:17 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Craziness is not relegated to one side of the aisle. There are f'in looines in both ranks. It seems you find more crazies on the underrepresented side of wherever you are. The liberal nuts will be more visible in conservative areas and vice versa.


This may not be the case in Texas, where everyone is crazy.

I love Texas.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 06:16:57 pm »

Ok it's time for an update.  I'll appologize in advance for only having sketchy incomplete information.

I saw this truck again about a month to six weeks ago.  He was driving through my neighborhood.  I tried to catch up with him to take a followup picture because it appears he has added more lettering to his truck.  I never could catch him because he drives like a bat out of hell.

Maybe two weeks ago I saw this truck on the news.  Actually it wasn't the news, but one of those teasers they show during primetime to peak your interest so you'll hopefully stick around and watch the news when it airs at 10 pm.  I didn't stick around, but in the teaser they showed the truck and on the left rear fender he had lettering something to the effect of Kill all Muslims.  I can't recall what it actually read, but it was something that would be very offensive to anyone left of the say the KKK.  It was Klan level offensive.  The voice over was saying "1st ammendment speech or hate speech?"  So apparently i'm not the only one who has noticed that this guy is cracked.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oklahoma City Bombing 10 year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 10:21:32 pm »

It is good that you can tell who to run off the road without meeting them nowadays.
This reminded me of something on the Daily Show the other night. I will have to rip it into a small video as my attempt to describe it kind of fails. It will appear shortly.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up