Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'  (Read 3185 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« on: April 28, 2005, 03:00:23 am »

The latest in the 50 states project.

It's been announced here that it's coming out July 5.

As of now it's leaked on such p2p programs as soulseek... I got myself a copy and am currently enjoying 'Come on! Feel the Illinoise!' best.

If anyone is interested and cannot get on such lovely programs as soulseek or wait till the release date (as I certainly couldn't), I shall put up a song later!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 04:04:53 am »

I haven't even heard the Michigan one.  I saw a used copy at a record store today but didn't have time to listen to it.  I've only heard good things, so I should probably queue both of them up on soulseek.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 06:25:38 am »

Yeah, I only got the Michigan album last year (I think it came out in '03...).  there was an album done last year, too, but not for the states project; it wasn't as good.

The Illinois one is on par with the Michigan though, so if you end up liking that one, you'll like this one :D
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

pineapple

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 07:48:07 am »

my favorite is The Seer's Tower so far.  I am a sucker for the extra slow piano.  bum....



bum...   bum bum...

I love how he like hits all those cheesy falsetto notes on this album.  so great.  I love Sufjan, like a kind and noble King.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 08:28:09 pm »

I have Michigan queued.  Still trying to find Illinois  Hey, does soulseek ever acted retarded for you, starlight?  It's a great program, but recently it has been doing weird shit.  I actually had Michigan and Illionois queued, but I had to restart soulseek, and then they were gone.  Oh well.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:06:16 am »

Quote from: "miles"
I have Michigan queued.  Still trying to find Illinois  Hey, does soulseek ever acted retarded for you, starlight?  It's a great program, but recently it has been doing weird shit.  I actually had Michigan and Illionois queued, but I had to restart soulseek, and then they were gone.  Oh well.


Actually, recently I had to upgrade it again.. from 155 to 156c or something.... since then, it's done this new thing where I decided I didn't want something queued anymore, deleted it and then it came back and put it in an 'upload' folder under that user's name.  weird.

I guess I wasn't too mad though since I wanted the stuff; I just was tired of waiting in the 200 queue and on dialup, I usually just dl from one user at a time, so it won't try to balance dl's... that can slow things down.  the queued songs coming back had it balancing for awhile, but nothing too silly as erasing queued up songs without permission.

---

Oh yeah, in case there's those who don't use soulseek, I did put up one song since my cousin wanted to hear it.. I may put up another, too since she now wants to hear the zombies one.. heh: Come on!  Feel the Illinoise!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 01:35:22 am »

Quote from: "starlight"

Oh yeah, in case there's those who don't use soulseek, I did put up one song since my cousin wanted to hear it.. I may put up another, too since she now wants to hear the zombies one.. heh: Come on!  Feel the Illinoise!


thank you.

immediate impression:  a mix of charlie brown specials music and stuff that wood be in a wes anderson movie.

i think maybe if i wanted to be in a good mood, i'd probably like this song.

but,

at least i now know that i want to be in a bad mood.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 01:49:07 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "starlight"

Oh yeah, in case there's those who don't use soulseek, I did put up one song since my cousin wanted to hear it.. I may put up another, too since she now wants to hear the zombies one.. heh: Come on!  Feel the Illinoise!


thank you.

immediate impression:  a mix of charlie brown specials music and stuff that wood be in a wes anderson movie.

i think maybe if i wanted to be in a good mood, i'd probably like this song.

but,

at least i now know that i want to be in a bad mood.


Hee!
Funnily enough, after purchasing the new Architecture in Helsinki album I had that impression.. I kept telling people that it was too poppy and I wasn't in the mood for poppy at that moment.  I had sampled one song on a GOOD day, so I made a horrible mistake... knowing I'm in a bad mood a lot of the time.  maybe one nice summer day, maybe one....

Surprisingly enough, the Sufjan Stevens album has enough emotions to keep me interested no matter the mood I was in (well, I went through many moods yesterday and still liked it... ahah... and hey, that song right there has a rather emo line towards the end of the song with the crying bit ;D).
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

pineapple

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 04:49:17 am »

yes the album is a rainbow of emotions, and not in a gay way.

John Wayne Gacy Jr. is a really, really sad song.  such a god damn sad story, about the man himself.  I suggest listening to it, then reading up on it, then listening to it again, it's like a door opens.  in your mind.

just look at this track list, how could you not love the bloke

01 Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, IL
02 The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, "I have fought the Big Knives and will continue to fight them until they are off our lands!"
03 Come on! Feel the Illinoise!
-Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition
-Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream
04 John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
05 Jacksonville
06 A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But for Very Good Reasons
07 Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!
08 One Last "Woo-hoo!" for the Pullman
09 Chicago
10 Casimir Pulaski Day
11 To the Workers of the Rockford River Valley Region, I have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament, and it involves shoe string, a lavender garland, and twelve strong women
12 The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
13 Prairie Fire That Wanders About
14 A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
15 The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
16 They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!
17 Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
18 In This Temple, as in the Hearts of Man, for Whom He Saved the Earth
19 The Seer's Tower
20 The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders
-Part I: The Great Frontier
-Part II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now
21 Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
22 Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I shake the dirt from my sandals as I run
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 11:23:23 am »

Quote from: "pineapple"
yes the album is a rainbow of emotions, and not in a gay way.

John Wayne Gacy Jr. is a really, really sad song.


Yeah, this was one of the ones I was thinking on the sad level....
the Palisades one is rather pretty, too.

---

I put up another song... mostly since my cousin liked the title and begged to hear it thus I thought I'd post it here as well: They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

V-Adore

  • Guest
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 05:13:27 pm »

I have yet to fully get into CO!FtI!, but I have an MP3 of "The Seer's Tower" that may have sold me on the album. Daaayumn.
Logged

pineapple

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 06:00:33 pm »

it's like he says "where I go to sleep..." and then you're thinking the only possible thing he could ever do next would be to say "aloooone" in a really high voice... and then he does it.  it's insane.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 06:03:07 pm »

Quote from: "arkabee"


thank you.

immediate impression:  a mix of charlie brown specials music and stuff that wood be in a wes anderson movie.

i think maybe if i wanted to be in a good mood, i'd probably like this song.

but,

at least i now know that i want to be in a bad mood.


now that i've downloaded the zombie song, and left the two on repeat, and eventually turned up the volume so i could hear more, it's not happy music.

i am a sucker for the chanty/singy/female vocal thing in the zombie song.  i don't know what she's saying though.

it's a rainy, crappy friday.  it's been a rainy, crappy week.  these two songs appear to be wonderific for it.

i dl'd two somgs of the band site, sister and "all good naysayers".  not sure about that sister song, since it is different and i deleted it.  but the naysayer fits a great rotation with the other two.

that being said, for some reason on the come on feel the illinois song,
towards the end,
when he's singing in between the female vocals
something about it makes me think of my bloody valentine.

maybe it's the simple low key vocals with very intricate background music that's difficult to pinpoint.
and vocal tone.

i dunno.

definitely diggin' it in a rainy day and i will glower at the clock-face if i want to kind of a way.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 08:54:10 pm »

What is up with "Chicago" being the exact same as "The Transfiguration".

What is up with that.

Anyway I like Seven Swans and Michigan more than Illinois, but that may just be because Illinois is twice as long. He doesn't really write the kind of stuff you can listen to for 74 minutes straight, you know?
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Sufjan Stevens 'Illinois'
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 03:25:56 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"

i am a sucker for the chanty/singy/female vocal thing in the zombie song.  i don't know what she's saying though.

it's a rainy, crappy friday.  it's been a rainy, crappy week.  these two songs appear to be wonderific for it.


Yeah, I am, too.. it's the main hook for me ;D
All I caught on is that Illinois is being spelled out and something about the captain and possibly someone called Linus?  then it gets all disjointed near the end and I dunno what is being spelled... possibly other places in Illinios?  ahah...

It's a crappy rainy Friday here, too.... bah.
Nothing like music to make a day brighter!

Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
He doesn't really write the kind of stuff you can listen to for 74 minutes straight, you know?


Hrm... I recall the Michigan album being a bit long, too, y'know?
When I first heard that one, I actually kept looking at the track # to see exactly how long there was left... don't get me wrong though.  after a few repeat listens, I liked most the songs.  just sayin' this one had less of that 'toe tapping, when the heck is this ending my ears hurt from the headphones' feeling.

I do figure it's due to it [the Michigan album] being the first I heard.  I always have to adjust to new things.

'Seven Swans' just bored me.  I don't know what it is about that one... I think I fell asleep the first time I heard it then one Sunday I tried to listen to it again and I almost 'felt it', but was still left 'meh'.

I'm finally joyous with this one / find it rather perfect, but tastes vary I guess.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: [1]   Go Up