Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A With the Teeth-A  (Read 3368 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« on: May 02, 2005, 07:20:28 pm »

I'm pretty excited about what I will be listening to on Friday.  I'm going to the Nine Inch Nails concert in Chicago. It's a big deal for me because I became a fan right after the Fragile came out and never got a chance to see them (him?) live. I'm worrying about what I should wear though. Think I can get away with a pair of jeans and a T shirt? Or will the goths look upon me with disdain? Actually, what the hell do I care what the goths think.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:43:39 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
I'm pretty excited about what I will be listening to on Friday.  I'm going to the Nine Inch Nails concert in Chicago. It's a big deal for me because I became a fan right after the Fragile came out and never got a chance to see them (him?) live. I'm worrying about what I should wear though. Think I can get away with a pair of jeans and a T shirt? Or will the goths look upon me with disdain? Actually, what the hell do I care what the goths think.


I saw him (them?) open for David Bowie in 1995 (I think).  I felt a bit out of place until Bowie came on stage, when all of the NIN fans left (seriously, there was a mass exodus).  But I think you can get away with wearing anything.

Now, I've never been a NIN fan, but I'm a huge Bowie fan, and I must say NIN was much more enjoyable.  It was a lot of fun.  Not enough to get me into them, but I had a good time.  Bowie was horrible.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:09:53 am »

Quote from: "miles"
I saw him (them?) open for David Bowie in 1995 (I think).  I felt a bit out of place until Bowie came on stage, when all of the NIN fans left (seriously, there was a mass exodus).

F'n Idiots.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 01:10:23 am »

Yeah, I saw that tour at the "Sony Blockbuster Entertainment Center" in Camden, NJ (it's since been renamed the "Tweeter Center" which isn't much better) and I couldn't believe that people wanted to leave after NIN, especially since there wasn't a break between acts.  Bowie came onstage to play with NIN a little, then NIN's backup musicians were slowly replaced by Bowie's guys.  Great show.  Bowie put NIN to shame.  I was happy to have the extra space when the kids left.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 01:20:36 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I saw that tour at the "Sony Blockbuster Entertainment Center" in Camden, NJ (it's since been renamed the "Tweeter Center" which isn't much better)

At least now you can pretend that it's just referring to the speaker component instead of the store.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 03:58:17 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I saw that tour at the "Sony Blockbuster Entertainment Center" in Camden, NJ (it's since been renamed the "Tweeter Center" which isn't much better) and I couldn't believe that people wanted to leave after NIN, especially since there wasn't a break between acts.  Bowie came onstage to play with NIN a little, then NIN's backup musicians were slowly replaced by Bowie's guys.  Great show.  Bowie put NIN to shame.  I was happy to have the extra space when the kids left.


Wow, that sounds really cool. Did Bowie perform Hurt with Trent? I heard a bootleg of that somewhere. But yeah, I don't know why people would leave before David Bowie. Their loss, I guess.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 04:08:04 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Bowie put NIN to shame.


You really think so?  I was really disappointed in his performance.  Could have been just an off night.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 04:05:49 am »

So that concert is tomorrow. Should I reprezent fo Achewood and wear my Philippe for America shirt, or should I wear my MST3K shirt? I sound like a girl and I am about as giddy as one of the school-going variety.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 05:01:36 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
So that concert is tomorrow. Should I reprezent fo Achewood and wear my Philippe for America shirt, or should I wear my MST3K shirt? I sound like a girl and I am about as giddy as one of the school-going variety.

What answer were you expecting from this forum?  Philippe for America, yes.

And pictures to follow.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 05:06:38 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
So that concert is tomorrow. Should I reprezent fo Achewood and wear my Philippe for America shirt, or should I wear my MST3K shirt? I sound like a girl and I am about as giddy as one of the school-going variety.

What answer were you expecting from this forum?  Philippe for America, yes.

And pictures to follow.

~Paul


Pictures?! I wish. Some of us do not have your magical talent for picture taking. But if my friend has a camera cellphone, then the pictures will follow.

I also wish I had your magical talent for meeting band members. But I know  that one isn't going to happen.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 05:40:06 am »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
I also wish I had your magical talent for meeting band members. But I know  that one isn't going to happen.


Moustache notwithstanding, I bet it's more the power of positive thinking than magic. He knows when he walks out the door... "I am going to a concert, and I will meet the band afterwards." And he just makes it happen.
Logged

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 03:23:44 pm »

Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
I also wish I had your magical talent for meeting band members. But I know  that one isn't going to happen.


Moustache notwithstanding, I bet it's more the power of positive thinking than magic. He knows when he walks out the door... "I am going to a concert, and I will meet the band afterwards." And he just makes it happen.


Another thing - the difference between seeing shows at clubs and bars vs. arena/theater shows. It's a lot easier to get congenial with musicians there, because of the more social atmosphere. Larger scale music events almost feel class assembly-like in their setup.

With every small club/bar show I've seen I've met and had a short talk with at least one of the band members. I can't say that about any of the larger ones, save a Pavement show from 1997 where the 3-D's were out in the lobby begging Americans to buy their Kiwi rock CD's. As well as being in a record shop with SM and Spiral Stairs earlier that day, and giving them directions on how to get to a thrift store.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 04:01:33 pm »

Batz is right, but a lot of it depends on the artist as well.  Here in Houston Reznor is playing in the same venue as Jeff Tweedy and co. and in a venue of that size if the artist doesn't want to interact with his or her fans you'll never see them.  Still you should not underestimate the power of the moustache.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 08:10:32 pm »

Since this was all to do with the NIN and whatnot.
Happened to be listening to them at the moment too. Well, not sure of time differences, but I don't have long to find a way to kill you and take your place. Damn.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
A With the Teeth-A
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 07:05:20 pm »

(warning: this is a long, long post. I need an outlet for my excitement over this concert)

HOLY
SHIT

That was one HELL of a concert. We got there at around 5, and the line of gothic people was already about two blocks long. It extended a few blocks behind us by the time we were let in.

Upon entering I bought a cool shirt (for 30 dollars...damn concert prices). We entered the concert area, and in our naievity deciced to make our way to the front of the pit. This was a mistake.

The opening band came on. They were called the Dresden Dolls and were suprisingly good. They have a really drum/piano/old timey kind of sound, and the drummer wears a bowler and acts like a mime. They were a lot of fun.

So then they get off, and the curtain slowly rises. There are a bunch of roadies still working on the equipment. This is not a good sign. They continue to do so for about 20 minutes.

Then...the moment arrives. The stage darkens and a familiar sillouette appears on stage. It was Trent Reznor, the man I had been waiting 6 years to see, and I was about four rows away from him. That's when the crowd pressed forward.

I was expecting them to do it of course, but I was not expecting it to be so insane. I was literally crushed between the people around me. We were packed so tight that no one could move their arms. I was mashed behind a really hot girl, but I feel sorry for her because I was crushing her pretty hard. It took all of my strength to go with the sway of the crowd, which almost sucked me under a few times. It was not what I would call fun. Not to mention I could barely hear the music.

But there was a reason I could barely hear the music, and Trent realized it pretty quick. He was in the middle of The Wretched when he just suddenly stopped and said "someone fucked up". He then approched the mic and said "I'll be back when these fuckers figure things out" and walked off the stage. He seemed very angry, and I don't blame him.

Turns out there were some technical difficulties. So the lights came up and the roadies went to work. The sardine tin of people started to release the pressure, so I took the opportunity to fight my way to the back of the pit, where there was room to breathe. On the way back I ran into a girl from my high school that I hadn't seen for 2 years. What are the odds?

Anyways, people were getting pretty cranky and there were rumors of cancellation going around. A lot of us, myself included, were getting kind of soured by the whole thing. But then, the lights went back down and the band quietly took the stage. Without saying a word, they broke right into Wish with an intensity that was just astounding. I think they were really driven to give us one hell of a show after the hour of downtime. A few songs in, Trent apologized for the fuck-up, and all was forgiven by the crowd.

The lighting was amazing. Here is a picture someone took during Closer:

Those bars would go along with the music. during burn, they looked like blue flames, and during with teeth, they kind of looked like teeth closing down. It was intense.

The setlist was excellent. A really good mix of songs from every album. Let's see of I can remember...

He started with Wish, which like I said, kicked the audience's ass.
From there he went into March of the Pigs, except it was about 10 times harder than the album version. The people in the pit were just destroying eachother.

Burn: Burn is the last song you'd expect him to play, but there it was. The buildup on this song was just insane. You could really tell the band was out to impress us.

The Line Begins to Blue: one of my favorites off the new album, and it plays great live.

Piggy: He tried to do that thing where he walks on the crowd, but he got sucked down pretty quick. He kept singing the whole time though. at the end of the song he had this handheld harpsichord thing that was pretty cool. And of couse he threw it at the ground when he was done with it.

Gave Up: Just as intense ad Wish and March of the Pigs.
The Big Comedown: This was the one I really wanted to hear. It's rare to hear him perform it live, and it sounded great.

Reptile: Another rarity. It worked really great live, even though it seems like a song that isn't especially live-friendly.

Home: A new non-album track. It's not quite as good live, but it's cool to hear a non-album track nonetheless.

A WITHA TEETHA: This song kicks ass live. I'm wondering if he didn't write it with the intention of having it sound great live. Did I mention he played a goddamned tambourine? That was something you don't see everyday.

Closer: He has to play Closer. It's a law. But he mixed it up this time. Towards the end, the song broke into The Only Time (from pretty hate Machine) and he yelled that part he usually whispers in the background of Closer (throughout the forest/among the trees or whatever).

Terrible Lie: One of those songs he plays at every concert. I got hoarse from yelling "MY GOD" so loud.

The Day the World Went Away: Another one I was not expecting, it was the closest thing to an instramental we got. It's one of my favorite Fragile Tracks, so I was glad to hear it.

Suck: Suck is one of those great audience participation songs. Everyone got to yell suck a lot. It was fun.

Hurt: I really want him to phase hurt out somday, or at least not play it at every concert. I would rather have heard Right Where it Belongs. That being said, it was still quite an expirience to hear it live

The Hand That Feeds: This song was very obviously designed to be played live. It was much better than the studio version. Added bonus: before the song Trent yelled "THIS ONE'S FOR GEORGE W COCKSUCKER BUSH!" Thanks, Trent. I had no idea what the song was about before!

Head Like a Hole: They ended on a bang. I don't know where they found the energy, but they poured every ounce of it into this song. And the lights were going full force. I was almost blinded a few times.

And then the lights went up and we all shuffled out. I was so sore I could barely walk. Then it was a 2 hour trip back to Milwaukee and I promptly passed out. What a day.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up